Lassiter Final Match

Keith thompson

Ronnie, myself and Lassiter were all 2-2 in the standings. These last few matches would decide history in the Legends of Johnston City!

Our last match was one hole, it was the only game I was his equal. After the match I knew who was the better One Holer.

We played a race to four winner break, who the hell plays winner break one pocket?

Lassiter won the lag for first break and about skunked me the first two games and had me down 6 balls to none in the third game.

This was the lowest point of the day for me! I had lost my last two matches and my run was coming to end! I was low!

We all broke for dinner that evening and a man and his 16 yr old son offered to buy me dinner, bought me a T- bone steak with trimmings and sweet iced tea. I hadn’t eaten all day and was running near empty!

I came clean with this man and his son and told them both my run was probably over, I just couldn’t dance with these two guys anymore. He gave me a pep talk like Cole Dickson did and said he had confidence in me and was capable of winning this thing! What did he know?

Now down 6 balls to none in the 3rd
Game I found a little daylight, made a couple of balls and started moving balls up table and made Lassiter play a long end game.

Well I pecked away here and there playing a chess match with Wimpy and found out who was the better one holer! I caught him at seven balls apiece and the end would come after moving that last ball around 3-4 times, I believe I cross banked the last ball and game over. Score now 2-1 instead of 3-0 Lassiter.

I had the break now on my side and he was doomed. Beat him 3 in a row and a Giant of the game fell. I had come back from the brink and my confidence was soaring again all because of my new found friend believing in me and giving me a pep talk lol.

Got a big time ovation from the fans when the final ball fell our last game. I turned to face Lassiter who met me halfway for a congratulatory handshake and told me I was the best young player he’d ever seen play!

Those words went plum to the bone and I’ve carried them all my life. All I can say now is thank you Mr Lassiter for letting a kid Walk with a Giant, You were the Best Ever!

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I'm curious Keith, do you have an opinion about how a legend like Lassiter would stack up against today's best players?

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for sharing Keith! I could almost taste that steak and sweet tea as I was reading your post.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I’d take Lassiter against the 27 Yankees and give em weight!

The Babe says, "Rack 'em!"

Babe Ruth 2.jpg

Logandgriff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ronnie, myself and Lassiter were all 2-2 in the standings. These last few matches would decide history in the Legends of Johnston City!

Our last match was one hole, it was the only game I was his equal. After the match I knew who was the better One Holer.

We played a race to four winner break, who the hell plays winner break one pocket?

Lassiter won the lag for first break and about skunked me the first two games and had me down 6 balls to none in the third game.

This was the lowest point of the day for me! I had lost my last two matches and my run was coming to end! I was low!

We all broke for dinner that evening and a man and his 16 yr old son offered to buy me dinner, bought me a T- bone steak with trimmings and sweet iced tea. I hadn’t eaten all day and was running near empty!

I came clean with this man and his son and told them both my run was probably over, I just couldn’t dance with these two guys anymore. He gave me a pep talk like Cole Dickson did and said he had confidence in me and was capable of winning this thing! What did he know?

Now down 6 balls to none in the 3rd
Game I found a little daylight, made a couple of balls and started moving balls up table and made Lassiter play a long end game.

Well I pecked away here and there playing a chess match with Wimpy and found out who was the better one holer! I caught him at seven balls apiece and the end would come after moving that last ball around 3-4 times, I believe I cross banked the last ball and game over. Score now 2-1 instead of 3-0 Lassiter.

I had the break now on my side and he was doomed. Beat him 3 in a row and a Giant of the game fell. I had come back from the brink and my confidence was soaring again all because of my new found friend believing in me and giving me a pep talk lol.

Got a big time ovation from the fans when the final ball fell our last game. I turned to face Lassiter who met me halfway for a congratulatory handshake and told me I was the best young player he’d ever seen play!

Those words went plum to the bone and I’ve carried them all my life. All I can say now is thank you Mr Lassiter for letting a kid Walk with a Giant, You were the Best Ever!
Keith please keep writing. You are not only a great player but also a great writer. I can't wait for the next one!

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great tales indeed! I am much enjoying your writing. I absolutely cringed at winner breaks one pocket! I have played some one pocket tournaments, more inclined to gamble. Never played winner breaks one pocket but I can't imagine gambling at that game.

Beating Wimpy and him acknowledging it must have been awesome! Granted you took full advantage of the format in the later going, he did in the early going. Winner breaks race to four sounds like you had better be very good at lagging or flipping a coin!

Hu