"Last five" video from Accu-Stats and Phil Capelle

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Here are a bunch of end patterns. I found a few where the commentators got it wrong. Sometimes they don't admit it.

It also features a younger version of Pat Fleming, the first man in pool to use statistics.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
At 14:30 Sigel is disappointed he didn't keep more cut angle. For a left-handed player on that side, more angle allows you to cue more easily. (More angle is also better for other reasons.)

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just noticed there is a "follow along using the transcript" and if you click it automatic captions come up in the chat area.

NevadaP

Here are a bunch of end patterns. I found a few where the commentators got it wrong. Sometimes they don't admit it.

I love this. Been watching it 10-30 minutes at a time over and over trying to absorb as many subtleties as I can on setting up a break ball.
I really wish they'd included the break with each of these so I can see how each set up worked out.
Does anyone know of any similar videos which show the breaks?

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At 14:30 Sigel is disappointed he didn't keep more cut angle. For a left-handed player on that side, more angle allows you to cue more easily. (More angle is also better for other reasons.)

3 comments:

1) Sigel has said that he's pissed if he leaves the cue ball parallel to the break ball relative to the side rail. He's happy if he's a ball closer to the side rail. Nowadays it seems everyone leaves themselves two or three balls on the SHALLOW side of parallel, often with subpar break results. I asked Sigel why that is and he said they didn't know what they were doing.

2) I was disappointed in PC's book on the last 5. It seemed to me that most of the pro's were not really working on end patterns as long as they had balls open and a key ball with a way to get to the key ball (triangle pattern). In other words, they'll just get through the rack and whatever 5 are left will be workable due to their ball control skill. I never finished the book for that reason.

3) At 10:30 in the video is that Fran running balls in the background?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
1) Sigel has said that he's pissed if he leaves the cue ball parallel to the break ball relative to the side rail. He's happy if he's a ball closer to the side rail. Nowadays it seems everyone leaves themselves two or three balls on the SHALLOW side of parallel, often with subpar break results. I asked Sigel why that is and he said they didn't know what they were doing. ...
In Jayson Shaw's record run, he often left himself on the "wrong" side of the table for a left-handed player but with enough cut angle -- approaching 60 degrees -- that he did not have to stretch/twist over the side rail. He actually seemed to prefer that side of the table.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In Jayson Shaw's record run, he often left himself on the "wrong" side of the table for a left-handed player but with enough cut angle -- approaching 60 degrees -- that he did not have to stretch/twist over the side rail. He actually seemed to prefer that side of the table.
I just looked at my notes on that run and it looks like the break ball was on the "wrong" side about 65% of the time. He also moved the break ball to a better position about half the time so it's not like he was stuck with balls on that side.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a tendency to over-cut shots toward the right (I’m right handed), and under-cut those toward the left. Maybe that has some bearing on the issue (?), especially re: which side to favor in order to get the strongest break without scratching.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3 comments:

1) Sigel has said that he's pissed if he leaves the cue ball parallel to the break ball relative to the side rail. He's happy if he's a ball closer to the side rail. Nowadays it seems everyone leaves themselves two or three balls on the SHALLOW side of parallel, often with subpar break results. I asked Sigel why that is and he said they didn't know what they were doing.

2) I was disappointed in PC's book on the last 5. It seemed to me that most of the pro's were not really working on end patterns as long as they had balls open and a key ball with a way to get to the key ball (triangle pattern). In other words, they'll just get through the rack and whatever 5 are left will be workable due to their ball control skill. I never finished the book for that reason.

3) At 10:30 in the video is that Fran running balls in the background?
Number 3: Yup. That's me.

Last edited: