Last Pocket 8-ball Question

subdude1974

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had never played it until tonight. Curious about the rules of the game as it pertains to the 8-ball itself. I was told that the 2 players can’t try to shoot the 8-ball into the same pocket. Is this correct? Also, say my opponent runs all his balls and hangs the 8 deep in the pocket. After running my balls, can I just call a safe and pocket the 8-ball and it get spotted or would I lose the game???

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most people that I've played says it's a win for your opponent if you make the 8 in their pocket.

I do know a couple people that says its a safe and spotted.

Best always make the rules clear before starting...

Jeff

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Gold Member
Silver Member
Had never played it until tonight. Curious about the rules of the game as it pertains to the 8-ball itself. I was told that the 2 players can’t try to shoot the 8-ball into the same pocket. Is this correct? Also, say my opponent runs all his balls and hangs the 8 deep in the pocket. After running my balls, can I just call a safe and pocket the 8-ball and it get spotted or would I lose the game???

Are you playing on a barbox where it costs money to retrieve the balls?

Typically, it is played that pocketing the 8-ball in any pocket other than your own is a loss.

If you pocket your last ball in your opponent's already owned pocket, the opponent chooses your pocket for you

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play that you lose if you shoot the 8-ball into any pocket other than your own.

I, also, play the you can have the same last pocket as your opponent, instead of choosing another pocket. It makes it more interesting when you have to go for the same hole and ensure you leave a safety if you miss.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Gold Member
Silver Member
Play it any way you want, it's already been bastardized.

Just define the rules before the break.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Play it any way you want, it's already been bastardized.

Just define the rules before the break.

Almost every game of pool has been "bastardized" from the way I learned it as a kid.

To me, the ONLY rules are the rules you and your opponent decide on before you start playing.