lathe tools or scrap metal?

larrynj1

aka uncle larry
Silver Member
i hope this is appropriate for this forum -

i bought an atlas/craftsman metal lathe quite a few years ago because it was cheap. it came with all kinds of tooling and supplies. among the stuff is a pile of brass and aluminum cylinders - see pic below - is this anything useful to a metal worker or is it just scrap metal?

it's been sitting for years and the wife says it's time to start getting rid of stuff i'm not going to use. i have never even plugged in the lathe, so i can't argue with the woman, when you're right , you're right.

i'll post some pics on another thread selling 100+ hss cutters and some tooling.

Attachments

• lathe tools 012 (Medium).jpg
    lathe tools 012 (Medium).jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,243

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member
I would probably put an ad on Craigslist for that kind of stuff. It should be gone in no time.

larrynj1

aka uncle larry
Silver Member
what is this stuff used for? i could sell for scrap metal prices easily enough. is it worth a premium over scrap?

poolcuemaster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The brass tubes were most likely for building steam engine models and toys, they would be worth a few bucks. May be able to get 40 or 50 dollars out of the brass on the right side of the picture.--Leonard

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The blocks may have been used with a sine bar. The solid rod for part making. Who knows?

Kelly

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what is this stuff used for? i could sell for scrap metal prices easily enough. is it worth a premium over scrap?

The Craigslist idea is a good one. If you were local to me, I would
be glad to pay more than what you can get for scrap. Lots of gadgets
and holders could be made from those pieces.

Dale

larrynj1

aka uncle larry
Silver Member
The Craigslist idea is a good one. If you were local to me, I would
be glad to pay more than what you can get for scrap. Lots of gadgets
and holders could be made from those pieces.

Dale

i've been watching e-bay and similar pieces are going under scrap metal prices, at least those that list the total weight. i guess a 5 minute trip to the scrap yard is in order. brass is $1.70 per pound now.

there are a bunch of rods about 8" long, white metal, that are non-magnetic but too heavy to be aluminum. anyone know what metal this could be?

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i've been watching e-bay and similar pieces are going under scrap metal prices, at least those that list the total weight. i guess a 5 minute trip to the scrap yard is in order. brass is $1.70 per pound now.

there are a bunch of rods about 8" long, white metal, that are non-magnetic but too heavy to be aluminum. anyone know what metal this could be?

Fleabay low prices are perhaps due to shipping charges?

Some Stainless steels are not magnetic - is it silver?

Dale

Last edited:

larrynj1

aka uncle larry
Silver Member
definitely not silver, man, that would be cool, about 15-20 lbs. of silver. maybe stainless steel. it's in the photo up top, second bin from left up front, maybe 1/2" rods.

you're right about e-bay and the shipping charges. usps is the one who makes money selling tools on e-bay.

larrynj1

aka uncle larry
Silver Member
here's some pics of the lathe tooling, set of gears for the lathe, 140 cutters, and a few chucks -

Attachments

• lathe tools 011 (Medium) (2).jpg
    lathe tools 011 (Medium) (2).jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 953
  • lathe tools 003 (Medium).jpg
    lathe tools 003 (Medium).jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 957
  • lathe tools 008 (Medium).jpg
    lathe tools 008 (Medium).jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 1,069
  • lathe tools 004 (Medium).jpg
    lathe tools 004 (Medium).jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 945

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
definitely not silver, man, that would be cool, about 15-20 lbs. of silver. maybe stainless steel. it's in the photo up top, second bin from left up front, maybe 1/2" rods.

you're right about e-bay and the shipping charges. usps is the one who makes money selling tools on e-bay.

Sorry, I ment silvery colored:).

Dale

larrynj1

aka uncle larry
Silver Member
dale, yes, they are a silver color.

slip rock, the 1/2" chuck is a mt 1, brand is supreme. the other 2 are craftsman, no marking other than brand name.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Those change gears have value if not terribly worn. They are made from a zinc alloy and do wear out, so folks are looking to replace them. I'd suggest listing those separately.

As a data point I paid about $80 for a reasonable full set of change gears and a couple of bushings. You should be able to find references to Atlas change gears on e-bay.

Dave

larrynj1

aka uncle larry
Silver Member
Those change gears have value if not terribly worn. They are made from a zinc alloy and do wear out, so folks are looking to replace them. I'd suggest listing those separately.

As a data point I paid about $80 for a reasonable full set of change gears and a couple of bushings. You should be able to find references to Atlas change gears on e-bay.

Dave

dave, thanks for the info. i've seen these for sale on e-bay a few times. these appear to new, came along with the craftsman/atlas model 101 lathe.

larrynj1

aka uncle larry
Silver Member
any interest in the lathe tooling? the brass is going to the scrap yard @ $1.65 pound. the cutters are mostly hss, some large pieces, 140+ in all sizes, i'll take $75 +flat rate priority mail shipping.

Odd request but is there any brass there that could be used to make a 13mm ferrule? I have a guy who insist on having a brass ferrule on his break cue :confused: I get reminded 3 times a week that he wants it done. Just need the material to do it.

Possibly some 5/8" by 5/16" brass tube or anything over 1/2"

larrynj1

aka uncle larry
Silver Member
i'll see if there's anything suitable. i'm planning on selling the brass for scrap tomorrow or friday.

found the only small piece in the drawer, it's 1/2" diameter x 1 1/2" long solid. pm me your address and i'll mail it to you.

Last edited: