Gold Member
Silver Member
I have been using Le pro tips for 40 years. Is there any advantage to
the expensive layered tips?

Thanks

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Use what works 4 you, what you like, what is in your price point. Best TIP, there is NO BEST of anything. Babe Ruth was best, until another guy broke is records.

Pool is like the Cigar Industry, every year some Lighter Company comes out with a NEW LIGHTER, so oit is the latest BS Super Lighter. I is the Holy Grail of lighters.

Need to fire up you Cigar a match is a heat source, a ST Dupont Lighter is Heat Scourse that is just so cool. BTW ST Dupont is made in CHINA. With big price, more then bag of RICE.

I understand next year the New Super Tip will be the Clobra Skin Tip. Made from for skin of male King Cobra. People in India, are work with a Rabbi now learn the ins & outs of collecting for skins.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks
They generally last longer. Try an Ultraskin. $2.50/ea if you buy 10 or around $5-6/ea single. Great tip for the money.

middleofnowhere

Registered

Thanks
Consistency. Because the way they are made they don't compress much like a solid tip. First time I put on a Moori tip I hated it and cut it off. Then I tried it again and gave it an honest chance.

At the time they were the best. There are so many different tips now I would not know what to recommend. The price is fake as far as I am concerned.

When Moori were first around you couldn't get them. Guys were paying $30.00 to $50.00 a tip to get one. This set a false market for layered tips. In reality I bought Moori tips from Sang Lee for $4.00 a tip. The after market created this mystic and price gauging and the price never came down.

This is just my opinion, maybe there is a reason they are so expensive but I don't see it.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
I won’t use layered tips because for each leather layer there’s a glue layer. Fly specks on the cue ball are from the glue layer. No way could I expect predictable results with the delaminating glue sometimes sticking to the cue ball or at other times remaining on the tip but slipping on the cue ball.
Triangle tips have served me well for a long time. Water Buffalo are the other tips I will use.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to use LePro. Constant maintenance because of mushrooming and glazing. When the tip got down to the point I really liked it, there was nothing left and needed changed. As far as I'm concerned that's what inconsistency truly is. It plays softer in the beginning and when you get it down to where it's firm and you really like the feel of it, it's done. It's a gradual but consistent change in the way it feels. And then when you put a new one on you start all over again. I ended up using 3 per year.

Then I tried the tiger brand tips. First one I tried was Everest. It was okay, just a little on the soft side for me. And needed maintenance. Then I went to the Tiger Onyx. Good tip. Fairly maintenance-free, consistent through its life. But when they doubled the price from $12 to $24(because of MAP pricing), I dumped them. Everest gave a year of service....Onyx, a year and a half.

Then tried Morri hard. Very consistent through its life. Doesnt glaze. Shape it new and play, shape again, and very little after that. Burnish the side every couple of weeks, and occasionally reshape. I been getting 2 years plus out of one. Current one is 2 1/2 years on Predator shaft. Might need a change in 6 months or so. For $12 to $14 bucks, I think it's the best value for my money AND for consistency. And I've noticed no glue issues as mentioned by Greg.

Haven't tried a compressed LePro milk dud. Reports are they should last a lot longer, glaze less, and are more consistent throughout their useful life span. If LePro made a hard tip, I think I would have liked them better.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I won’t use layered tips because for each leather layer there’s a glue layer. Fly specks on the cue ball are from the glue layer. No way could I expect predictable results with the delaminating glue sometimes sticking to the cue ball or at other times remaining on the tip but slipping on the cue ball.
Triangle tips have served me well for a long time. Water Buffalo are the other tips I will use.
Interesting idea.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I generally like a softer layered tip, like Ultraskin for playability ( but they mushroom ALOT) - but, honestly, the Triangle tips, although relatively hard, seem to play very consistent and require very little maintenance and also last a long time.

For a break cue, outside of the white Diamond tip- I think that the Triangle tip is a great choice as well since it gives a firm punch to the hit and yet you still have CB control.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Intriguing....yes. But with a good layer of chalk on the tip, I am sceptical of the idea. Not saying Greg is wrong, I just haven't seen it on my home cue ball.
If properly scuffed-n-chalked this is not an issue. Been using layered tips for about 15-16yrs with no problems. I got tired of the pis-poor quality of Tweeten's tips. Heard they've improved and when i had my Jensen re-done i tried Triangles again. So far so good.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

As much as I believe in the science behind that, if it were negatively affecting the pro's they wouldn't be using them.

I prefer a layered tip for consistency. I have never received a stacked tip that didn't work as advertised, with the old school tips you have to buy a box of 50 and hopefully get 20-30 good ones, I'll just buy one and call it good.

That being said, any time I buy a cue with a regular tip on it I leave it if I like the way it plays, I'm not against them, I just don't prefer them anymore.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Intriguing....yes. But with a good layer of chalk on the tip, I am sceptical of the idea. Not saying Greg is wrong, I just haven't seen it on my home cue ball.
I don’t know about all layered tips. I got a free Kam…. Well one of the $35 tips. But it had to be installed by their technician. No way would I let an unknown technician touch my ivory ferrules. I gave him a cheap backup shaft. Took it home and hit 4 balls and the tip fell off. Anyway with my limited experiment with a layered tip(maybe that one) I did experience the tip losing traction and glue being the culprit.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t know about all layered tips. I got a free Kam…. Well one of the $35 tips. But it had to be installed by their technician. No way would I let an unknown technician touch my ivory ferrules. I gave him a cheap backup shaft. Took it home and hit 4 balls and the tip fell off. Anyway with my limited experiment with a layered tip(maybe that one) I did experience the tip losing traction and glue being the culprit.
I still don't believe this. Tens if not hundreds of thousands of layered tips are in use world-wide. If this was going on you'd hear about it and you just don't. Like i said earlier if you scuff it properly and know how to chalk a cue this glue-line issue, if it even exists, will not happen.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I still don't believe this. Tens if not hundreds of thousands of layered tips are in use world-wide. If this was going on you'd hear about it and you just don't. Like i said earlier if you scuff it properly and know how to chalk a cue this glue-line issue, if it even exists, will not happen.
It could be an issue with a few tips out on the market. I can see being possible. Nobody's formula for the glue is the same. I think it is a little uncommon.

There is nothing on this Earth that's impossible. Some things are a little more unlikely than others, that's all.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It could be an issue with a few tips out on the market. I can see being possible. Nobody's formula for the glue is the same. I think it is a little uncommon.

There is nothing on this Earth that's impossible. Some things are a little more unlikely than others, that's all.
No shit. Anything is possible but some things are HIGHLY unlikely, like this. I've never heard anyone in any poolroom i've been in or at any tournament i've attended that complained about miscues/misses due to glue lines. AGAIN: scuff the tip and use chalk. No problems.