LD Shaft and Maple Shaft Placebo Test

teedotaj

teedot oohhhhhh
Silver Member
Two pool cues with exact same butts are to be used by a player each having a different unmarked shaft. One fitted with a conventional maple shaft. The other one comes with a Predator or OB-1. Maybe just Predator since the OB1’s ferrule is a give away. Each having the exact same taper. Each will have the same Tip material/brand/curvature.

Let him play with one for an hour then switch it with the other without him knowing.

Will he be able to tell the difference in deflection? Is he going to be able to adjust accordingly without realising?
 
a maple shaft with a predator taper? thats going to be one weak shaft. i dont think this can be done. becasue a predator is a low deflection not only because the wood laminates but the taper
 
a maple shaft with a predator taper? thats going to be one weak shaft. i dont think this can be done. becasue a predator is a low deflection not only because the wood laminates but the taper

Okay how about those fat shafts?
 
iono, i guess not be honest this doesent really make sense because the low deflection shaft do feel different, thats why they are named low deflection, im sure they have prove this though testing somewhere down the road
 
yes it is very different playing with a maple shaft versus a ld shaft. If nobody told you what a ld shaft was you would notice it played different but you wouldn't know exactly what was going on.
 
filluptieu

The LD properties of both our cue shafts and the Predator cue shafts does not really come from the lamination or the taper. The LD properties come predominately from reduced tip end mass.

As for the test, the player would most definitely see a difference. As a matter of fact, if the butts were different that would not change the deflection or squirt characteristics significantly.

Royce Bunnell
www.obcues.com
 
I guess only way he won't notice the difference is if he's a centre ball type of guy huh?

I've never tried any of these shafts that's why I'm wondering. Maybe it's all in our heads.
 
it IS real, not a marketing gimmick, if that's what you're thinking :)
It exists and it matters. Mostly it just means you must aim differently to sink certain shots. Think of a shot where you must sink a rail cut from 5 feet away, spinning the CB with inside so it travels 3 rails to get back to your end of the table.

Often shots like this are missable anyway. So if he keeps missing these shots, he may he may convince himself he's just having a bad day rather than assume his cue/shaft got switched.

Doesn't mean it doesn't exist just because he didn't figure it out.

I am probably the least googan-ish guy I know, I treat my cue like a plastic fork and shot with a house stick for over 10 years. I am very skeptical about people who blow lots of money on cues or other pool equipment thinking it will somehow improve them. But I noticed my buddy's LD shaft really changed my line of aim for that 3-rail-position shot (among others) and I had to admit the reality. I don't know if I'll ever buy one but let's just say if I ever spent money on equipment that'd be the first thing I'd spend it on.
 
Haha no no guys don't get me wrong. I know it exists. I've never tried them but there's hundreds of literature about it that there's no denying it.

I was just wondering if the player is able to adjust without realising it.
That's what I meant by if "it's all in our heads" part.
 
Back
Top