League players! Good Shot or Bad?

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First…Happy Thanksgiving, AZ!

Here’s the situation. You’re playing BCA 8-ball league and your opponent runs out to the 8 and lands really funny on it (Pictured) and calls the 8 in the corner. Opponent plays the shot as shown in the video, jacked up and shooting away from the 8.

Good or bad? I’m particularly interested in how all you league players see this. Is that how you’d play it?

C3555A12-B282-4190-B525-A91A430FBC61.jpeg

Foul or no foul? BCA 8-ball league.

One more example. I posted this later on the thread, but thought I’d add it to the original post as well.

Last edited:

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
And the "Fouls" have it

You avoid this in leagues by actually shooting away from the 8, not pushing through the 8

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Might have been a foul because of the elevated cue (stopping the CB from getting out of the way fast enough), but it doesn't have to be. I think there's enough available cut angle that you could hit the shot legally with a nearly level cue - maybe even more angle than shown here, allowing for throw.

pj
chgo

x (1).png

NathanDetroit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In league play, the opponent would call an observer. The demonstrated shot is too far away for anyone to call the shot other than the shooter.

My team would have one of us film the play, and then play it back in slow motion. Never a didpute.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First…Happy Thanksgiving, AZ!

Here’s the situation. You’re playing BCA 8-ball league and your opponent runs out to the 8 and lands really funny on it (Pictured) and calls the 8 in the corner. Opponent plays the shot as shown in the video, jacked up and shooting away from the 8.

Good or bad? I’m particularly interested in how all you league players see this. Is that how you’d play it?

View attachment 672259

Foul or no foul? BCA 8-ball league.
I’m not a league player but I am a room owner and have directed tournaments here for 27 years. This is a tough one but an apparent foul as the cue ball had no draw spin on it / failed to draw back immediately after contact.

If he was hitting significantly away from the object ball, there’s no way the cue ball would have stopped that fast to not even make it past the side pockets.

The problem with a shot like this is that many players, especially league players, would not know this is a foul.

Last edited:

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It looks good to me. He hit down on the CB and away from the 8. I didn’t hear a double hit.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Might have been a foul because of the elevated cue (stopping the CB from getting out of the way fast enough), but it doesn't have to be. I think there's enough available cut angle that you could hit the shot legally with a nearly level cue - maybe even more angle than shown here, allowing for throw.

pj
chgo

View attachment 672268
if it is possible to hit the shot legally with a level cue, why wouldn’t it be legal to shoot the same shot while shooting down on the CB? I would think the level stroke to be more concerning.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m not a league player but I am a room owner and have directed tournaments here for 27 years. This is an obvious foul as the cue ball failed to draw back after contact.

The problem with a shot like this is that many players, especially league players, would not know this is a foul.
The shooter’s bridge hand is on the rail. He isn’t shooting to draw the CB.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
I encountered a similar situation in a tournament, playing a friend that weighs in at 650 on the Fargorate. He had given me ball in hand on the 8 which was a ball + a half inch off the end rail. He had 2 balls left and situated them very close on either side of the 8. Blocking both directions. I placed the cue ball between the 8 and the rail and called the far corner. He of course wanted to come to the table and look. Before he could ask for someone to watch the hit, I told him I trusted him and would accept his call as final.
Hard to trust the call of less experienced players. I made the masse drawing the cue ball backward to the rail getting the tip out just in time, made the 8 and he made the call. Obviously good.😁

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It looks good to me. He hit down on the CB and away from the 8. I didn’t hear a double hit.

At that distance, most times you won’t actually be able to hear, or even see the double hit. It just happens too quickly. A good ref will determine fair or foul based on how the cue ball reacts after contact with the object ball.

if it is possible to hit the shot legally with a level cue, why wouldn’t it be legal to shoot the same shot while shooting down on the CB? I would think the level stroke to be more concerning.

I think that he meant that you could use a level cue by thinning the 8-ball.

The hit in question wasn’t nearly thin enough…