learning spin

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this reminds me of a page or two in a byrne book I have
when the cb is frozen to the ob, you can do some neat stuff that (at least to me) wasn't at first intuitive
Try two or three in line, see what happens. Anyway back to my alien post, being able to throttle the effects, speed, spin, angle, etc is what will allow the most satisfying use of these controls. Kinda like the difference between everyday driving and brisk everyday driving.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try two or three in line, see what happens. Anyway back to my alien post, being able to throttle the effects, speed, spin, angle, etc is what will allow the most satisfying use of these controls. Kinda like the difference between everyday driving and brisk everyday driving.

being able to identify and independently control variables makes sense to me..
personally, I take the bus, but tell you what, I can ride that sucker ^_^
I like your idea of lining up multiple balls tho- will have to mess around with that

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like your idea of lining up multiple balls tho- will have to mess around with that
Not my idea but thank you for your literary comprehension. :LOL: It's mostly about how throw works and I suppose transmits through multiple balls. Very useful stuff in 14.1 and one hole.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi fran..at the risk of explaining myself, I thought about posting more specifically, but spin effects are such a world
I didn't want to deny myself, nor anyone else reading, the possibility of learning something new by being pointy
there are a lot of ideas about spin out there- I just figured folks would post if they felt inspired to
and I'm glad they/you did, you never know what somebody is going to find helpful
hope that makes sense..no disrespect intended
I know that it's comfortable for you here in this forum and that's great, but I think it would be a tragedy to turn this forum into a secondary main forum. It's main purpose will get lost.

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I honestly do not understand what this person is trying to say. Does anyone care to translate this?

I've just decided logical arguments will have zero impact so deal with him the same as you know who and totally ignore him. Eventually he'll go away.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've just decided logical arguments will have zero impact so deal with him the same as you know who and totally ignore him. Eventually he'll go away.
Oh, you decided.

As long as pool is being discussed, I have a say here. As long as I care to say anything, I will. If the cookie cutters wish to feign confusion, their problem. Pool doesn't lie. Truth will prevail.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Spin effects are pretty much intuitive (left or right) until you get into multiple, randomly frozen balls. I recall guys showing me dead balls in a full rack and some of the ground covered was the results of push spinning a line of balls - how you got action on balls other than the first one. Effects like these go all the way to the break itself although far more subtly at break speeds. Suffice it to say for now that spin experimentation should include push combinations and multiple balls.

Back to the left right of it, the main issue I find is keeping spin, speed, and accuracy from interfering with each other. There's your journey of a million balls right there. At that stage, independent throttling of the effects is everything. Left right indeed...
It never occured to me to attempt throwing the last ball in a multi-ball frozen cluster/line. Probably doesn't come up much, but neat to have in your bag of tricks. I'll probably set some up the next time I'm at the table just to see what happens...

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It never occured to me to attempt throwing the last ball in a multi-ball frozen cluster/line. Probably doesn't come up much, but neat to have in your bag of tricks. I'll probably set some up the next time I'm at the table just to see what happens...
What do you mean by "throwing the last ball in a multi-ball frozen cluster/line?"

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You can get a very small amount on the 3rd ball. After that, nothing.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
You can get a very small amount on the 3rd ball. After that, nothing.
If I remember correctly, only about 1/3 of each ball’s spin (at most) is transferred to the next ball. If true, that means the maximum amounts transferred to each ball are:

Cue ball - 100%
OB 1 - 1/3
OB 2 - 1/9
OB 3 - 1/27
OB 4 - fuggedaboudit

pj
chgo

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I remember correctly, only about 1/3 of each ball’s spin (at most) is transferred to the next ball. If true, that means the maximum amounts transferred to each ball are:

Cue ball - 100%
OB 1 - 1/3
OB 2 - 1/9
OB 3 - 1/27
OB 4 - fuggedaboudit

pj
chgo

This has nothing to do with spin, it's throw. But your numbers look pretty good for that too.;)

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
What do you mean by "throwing the last ball in a multi-ball frozen cluster/line?"
What I had in my head, was forcing the OB (last in cluster) off the it's dead (frozen combo) path by playing spin induced throw with the first ball in cluster.

Maybe I misinterpreted Straightline's comments.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What I had in my head, was forcing the OB (last in cluster) off the it's dead (frozen combo) path by playing spin induced throw with the first ball in cluster.

Maybe I misinterpreted Straightline's comments.
That's pretty much what I thought you meant --- just wanted to confirm it --- I don't know what that other person meant who you were responding to, but with any cluster of 3 balls or more, you're basically better off just trying to read it and determine if it the shot 'goes.' You can't really manipulate those kinds of lines of frozen balls with spin.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
This has nothing to do with spin, it's throw. But your numbers look pretty good for that too.;)
Since the same friction force creates both, I’m guessing throw is reduced by the same fraction per ball (except the 1st OB is 100%, not the CB).

pj
chgo

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Cue ball - 100%
OB 1 - 1/3
OB 2 - 1/9
OB 3 - 1/27
OB 4 - fuggedaboudit

pj
chgo
I like to get this kind of info but I think this is about looking at multi ball situations where the two balls frozen are the ones pointed roughly towards the pocket.
This is the froze ball throw dynamic only instead of the cue ball contacting the frozen pair an object ball makes the contact.
In a cluster of balls there are often multiple directions that the pair can be contacted from.
Some players just draw a line between the ball centers and think it’s wired.
Then they hit it from the side and see it thrown to the rai or jaw instead.
In most cases that I see them they are missed because they are pointed just outside the pocket, but correct contact will pocket the end ball, yet the player cuts the plant the wrong way
Sometime another ball can be driven to the right contact point or a carom works when direct access isn’t available.
Hitting the right ball in the right spot is the key.
Watching where secondary balls will go is important too.
Hitting a ball into a rail where it bounces into the path can spoil imagined shots, even if the right contact spot is hit.