Leather for burnishing shaft

Forbin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to buy a nice, soft piece of undyed leather that is ideal for burnishing shafts. Specifically what type of leather should I be looking for? Can anyone recommend a good source for a very small quantity? I bought a leather burnisher from one of the big online billiards stores, but I'd like to get a piece that's a few inches larger.
Thanks!!

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to buy a nice, soft piece of undyed leather that is ideal for burnishing shafts. Specifically what type of leather should I be looking for? Can anyone recommend a good source for a very small quantity? I bought a leather burnisher from one of the big online billiards stores, but I'd like to get a piece that's a few inches larger.
Thanks!!
Check around thrift stores and yard sales for leather purses that haven't been dyed. Also try your local shoe repair guy !!!

Last edited:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I never used leather. Instead I used Sparkle paper towels, folded in half.
Here's the reason. Most pieces of leather are so thick that you can't feel the heat as it builds up from the friction you generate when working the shaft. This is especially problematic when burnishing ferrules. Some ferrule material will actually melt before you know it.
Sparkle paper towels will do just as good a job at burnishing, with much better control over the heat. :)

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a Tiger Leather Burnisher...........the best one I've found and I've tried 5-6 others.
It doesn't wear out and when you burnish fast & hard, you can feel the frictional heat.

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have tried it all. I use small Ace Hardware thick brown paper bag for burnishing shaft to 'glass' like slick polished finish. I can feel warmth under pressure and rotate accordingly.

On ferrules use 'Paper Towels' like Tramp, on Tips, a chunk of stiff 1/8" thick of leather makes em' shine and sealed up.

-Kat,

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never used leather. Instead I used Sparkle paper towels, folded in half.
Here's the reason. Most pieces of leather are so thick that you can't feel the heat as it builds up from the friction you generate when working the shaft. This is especially problematic when burnishing ferrules. Some ferrule material will actually melt before you know it.
Sparkle paper towels will do just as good a job at burnishing, with much better control over the heat. :)
Hey Tramp, she bought a shit load of Bounty on sale. Will they work as well as Sparkle, if not I could always sneak in a roll or 2 !!! LOL

Last edited:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Hey tramp, she bought a shit load of bounty on sale. Will they work as well as sparkle, if not I could always sneak in a roll or 2 !!! LOL

As you know, Bounty is the quicker picker upper, so hell yes, go right ahead.
I always used Sparkle because it reminded me of the diamond my first wife wore. The one she pawned to pay for the divorce. I get a lump in my throat just talking about it. :smile:

DMM4342

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you feel you must have leather then use the Yellow Pager and look under;
Upholstery; Remnants.
And use the phone to ask about leather.
Some upholsters do leather upholstery, others do not.

Dave

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get a chamois, works pretty well for burnishing. Softer than most leathers too so it's easier to wrap around the cue.

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
i use this,
qw10.jpg

Forbin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have tried it all. I use small Ace Hardware thick brown paper bag for burnishing shaft to 'glass' like slick polished finish. I can feel warmth under pressure and rotate accordingly.

On ferrules use 'Paper Towels' like Tramp, on Tips, a chunk of stiff 1/8" thick of leather makes em' shine and sealed up.

-Kat,

Thanks for all the responses! I've read the paper bag recommendation many times, but I guess I never tried it because I assumed it was just a cheap and easy to find substitute for leather. I just tried it out of necessity since my leather burnisher disappeared, and I'm liking the paper bag much better!

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the responses! I've read the paper bag recommendation many times, but I guess I never tried it because I assumed it was just a cheap and easy to find substitute for leather. I just tried it out of necessity since my leather burnisher disappeared, and I'm liking the paper bag much better!

The brown bag, known in the trade as kraft paper, is an old woodturners trick, It actually
has some abrasive effect, said to be like 3000 grit sandpaper.

Dale

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
paper bags

The brown bag, known in the trade as kraft paper, is an old woodturners trick, It actually
has some abrasive effect, said to be like 3000 grit sandpaper.

Dale

Brown paper bags are sprayed with wax , either paraffin or carnauba wax.
Same as paper money ...