LET GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the links john
its interesting to me the snooker players who for me are some of the most accurate cueists tend not to stand that way

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
its interesting to me the snooker players who for me are some of the most accurate cueists tend not to stand that way
Bingo... (y) The elbow only pivots in one direction. As long as you're not strangling your cue and the upper/lower sections of your arm are aligned with your cue, then the rest can be devil may care. The traditional snooker stance is easy to teach, and in practice eliminates a ton of variables you can introduce with a devil may care stance. That said, Id love to see pro players do that little shimey everytime they lined themselves up for a shot...lol

It would interesting to see a video that promotes this style of lining up that actually shows the stance of the players...lol. We get to see their hips (kinda) but not much of anything else.

Reactions: bbb

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hey Larry.
The snooker stance, as used today, is referred to as the modern snooker stance.
The original snooker stance, as used by Joe Davis is the same stance as used by today’s American players.
When and who developed today’s snooker stance is open to some research.
Joe Davis using his stance believed it allowed for an easier delivery of the cue.

This is a video of Joe Davis in his snooker stance.

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JS releases the cue and then catches it before it leaves his grip hand.
True I’ve never seen anyone ever just let go of the cue.

John

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
JS releases the cue and then catches it before it leaves his grip hand.
True I’ve never seen anyone ever just let go of the cue. ...
I assume you mean that it slides in his hand sometime during the stroke. When during the stroke, and how much does the cue move forward/back relative to his hand?

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I assume you mean that it slides in his hand sometime during the stroke. When during the stroke, and how much does the cue move forward/back relative to his hand?

True. The cue slides in the hand. How much he allows it to slide is dependent on the shot at hand.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Letting go of the cue completely damages the cue. You can see in the photo I posted of myself in this thread that I was practicing with a house cue. The best way is to release and grab, this way the cue doesn't fall to the table. It accomplishes very close to the same thing as the total release does.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like he doesn’t release the cue until right at (maybe just before) contact. Tricky timing...

pj
chgo
Hmm that's right. Missed that watching, the backhand. I think the moment of impact is grooved so deeply in these players, releasing hand pressure prior to that wouldn't be much of a stretch. I tried a near spear delivery today - a loosey goosey grip and slight release still cradling the stick. I was surprised that there was no miscue and the ball even returned.

I can't say yet if digging in the old way works better but I missed less with the slip stroke. I now see why people use it. The stroke can be started with a firm grip and max traction while minimizing anatomical error after the cue is up to speed. Two thumbs up for learning this technique.

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I forget who posted this but here's slow mo of an actual cue toss.

Thanks for the video Straightline.

The way he is using his cue is exactly what I have been talking about.

The player has maybe 10 or 12" of cue (weight) behind his grip hand. Focusing on and feeling this weight behind his grip hand allows for the release and throwing of the cue. (sliding in his grip hand.) As you can see from the video the player let quit a bit of the cue slide before catching it. The amount of slide is dependent on the shot at hand. Could be any where from 1 to 5 or six inches. Depends.

I use (for the last couple of years) a homemade extension (slip-on) on my cue which places over 6oz of weight behind my grip hand. Everyday I shoot in 30 straight in stop shots just holding the cue with the pads of my thumb and index finger. I allow the cue to release and slide thru the thumb and index finger and then catch it. The only thing I'm doing is pulling the weight behind my grip hand forward with the speed necessary to make the stop shot. I release the cue before the tip hits the cue ball and just let the weight behind my grip hand continue forward.
After this drill I start my normal practice routine holding my cue normally being very aware of the weight behind my grip hand. It's not something I have to think about anymore, it just happens. I'm 6'-2" tall and use a cue that is 65-1/2" long.

You have to ask yourself one question.These already great players Earl, SVB and Jason Shaw all use extensions on their cues. Why?

The next time you watch the smaller pro players play pay attention to their grip. They are playing with the weight behind their grip hand.

Have a good day.

John :)

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

The player has maybe 10 or 12" of cue (weight) behind his grip hand. Focusing on and feeling this weight behind his grip hand allows for the release and throwing of the cue. (sliding in his grip hand.) As you can see from the video the player let quit a bit of the cue slide before catching it. The amount of slide is dependent on the shot at hand. Could be any where from 1 to 5 or six inches. Depends.

The next time you watch the smaller pro players play pay attention to their grip. They are playing with the weight behind their grip hand.

Have a good day.

1) there is no way to know what he is feeling
2)if you assume a normal bridge length a smaller pro would naturally have there hand farther from the butt end because of their smaller wingspan...............same reason many very tall players want a longer cue so they dont grip the cue on the rubber bumper because of their longer wingspan
jmho

Last edited:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmm that's right. Missed that watching, the backhand. I think the moment of impact is grooved so deeply in these players, releasing hand pressure prior to that wouldn't be much of a stretch. I tried a near spear delivery today - a loosey goosey grip and slight release still cradling the stick. I was surprised that there was no miscue and the ball even returned.

I can't say yet if digging in the old way works better but I missed less with the slip stroke. I now see why people use it. The stroke can be started with a firm grip and max traction while minimizing anatomical error after the cue is up to speed. Two thumbs up for learning this technique.
Slip stroke? You mean the stroke where you let the cue slip on the backstroke?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Looks like he doesn’t release the cue until right at (maybe just before) contact. Tricky timing...
Exactly what I've been saying all along. The point of release is key and the player has to have control over the cue up to that point.
Seems to me that if he doesn’t release the cue until right at contact he’s already delivered the tip to the correct point, so what does it correct or prevent?

Maybe the anticipation of releasing helps prevent “grip yips”?

pj
chgo

Last edited:

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member

I use (for the last couple of years) a homemade extension (slip-on) on my cue which places over 6oz of weight behind my grip hand. Everyday I shoot in 30 straight in stop shots just holding the cue with the pads of my thumb and index finger. I allow the cue to release and slide thru the thumb and index finger and then catch it. The only thing I'm doing is pulling the weight behind my grip hand forward with the speed necessary to make the stop shot. I release the cue before the tip hits the cue ball and just let the weight behind my grip hand continue forward.
After this drill I start my normal practice routine holding my cue normally being very aware of the weight behind my grip hand. It's not something I have to think about anymore, it just happens. I'm 6'-2" tall and use a cue that is 65-1/2" long.

You have to ask yourself one question.These already great players Earl, SVB and Jason Shaw all use extensions on their cues. Why?

Have a good day.

To what extent do shorter players use an extension to reach shots or to "play with the weight behind the grip hand"? I'm asking you, I'm not implying anything.

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The shorter players do not need an extension. A standard 58” cue is all they need it allows for plenty of weight behind their grip hand.
John