Lightning Chip Tourney software

rementis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Free! Lightning Chip Tourney software

Hi All,

over the last couple of months I've spent some time developing billiards tournament software and I think it's just about ready to share with the internet/billiards community.

Please download and try it out, you could even take a few moments to make up some player names and run a quick tourney. :)

I would welcome any feedback including suggestions for improvements.

This software is for running a "chip" tournament, where each player is granted a number of chips based on skill level. The players rotate around losing chips until there is a last player standing.

When you first start the software you will need to add a table and some players, then hit "b" to being the tourney. As any player reports a loss, hit "l" (loser) key, and the software will tell you who is next in line and where to send them.

Here is the link to the software, for Windows version you can click on ChipInstall.exe and then click Download.

https://github.com/rementis/LightningChipTourney/tree/master

Again, any feedback is welcome.

Last edited:

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
We have chip tournaments out here in Az and they have gone over very well. They keep more players in the room and they have less wait time in between matches. One of the things that players were looking for was a way for the results to be sent to Fargo. Does your software have this capability?

Mike

plhotka

Registered
I downloaded the Lightening program, but when I opened it--nothing worked. Please be more specific about how to operate this app. Thanks

Benward452

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a really great software from my brief testing.

Does it have the capability to store the players or do I need to enter in the players from scratch everytime?

Thanks!

rementis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a good question. It does keep a database of Fargo ID numbers so it can per-populate that for you. I think having a player database is probably a good idea. I'll add that feature and let you know when it's ready. This software was pretty recently updated, so be sure you have the latest version.

Benward452

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the quick reply.

I just downloaded it today, so I think that would be the latest update.

I didn’t see a command on the software to load a database.

Would that be something I need to do with an excel file in the folder or?

I know a bit about computers, but at first glance, I am not sure how to load in players by the Fargo ID.

Also, would it be possible to have an option to turn of FargoRate at the player creation. I live in Norway and it’s not been used much if at all here.

Lastely, are you considering a way to load a certain profile to keep the tables, players, and chips so that you can easily use it at multiple locations and have whichever preset options?

Just know even with my questions/suggestions, you have built an amazing software and I appreciate that you have made it available for free.

Thanks so much,

Ben

rementis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The player database functionality doesn't exist yet. But I will code it in soon and let you know when it's ready. When it asks for Fargo ID or Fargo rating, you can just hit enter if you don't need that information.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
How does a chip tournament work? Do players win chips as well as lose them? How are the pairings made? Is it one rack per match? (I think I saw that in one chip tournament.)

Thanks.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How does a chip tournament work? Do players win chips as well as lose them? How are the pairings made? Is it one rack per match? (I think I saw that in one chip tournament.)

Thanks.

I believe players begin with a variable number of chips--lower rating, more chips. Match up at random for a single game. Winner gets single chip from loser.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe players begin with a variable number of chips--lower rating, more chips. Match up at random for a single game. Winner gets single chip from loser.

Another way to do it --that I think is better--is for everyone to start with more chips, like 20, and exchange chips according to a chart like this. Beat a much weaker player--get only 2 chips. beat a much stronger player --get 6 chips. similarly rated player, get 4 chips.

The key to these is efficient real-time scheduling --the same problem Uber addresses...

We are coding into LMS league formats based on this idea.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-17 at 11.16.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-17 at 11.16.57 AM.png
    16.8 KB · Views: 240

rementis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is in a console window, yes. It's very fast, because no graphics or web browser are needed. On Windows 7 you might want to hit 'c' to turn colors off. It looks much better on Windows 10.

Also, new version released two minutes ago. :)

Last edited:

rementis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Readme File

I'll post it here:

Lightning Chip Tourney --by Martin Colello

For Windows older than version 10 you can hit the 'C' key to turn colors off if you find they are not working properly.

Using this software you can run a billiards tournament in "chip" format.

Each player gets a certain amount of chips, typically based on skill level.

The list of players is randomized and then the matchups begin.

Each race is only one game, loser loses a chip. When you are out of chips you are out of the tournament.

If you have Fargo scores the software can also keep track so the scores can be entered. If you are not using Fargo just enter anything you like for the Fargo number.

rementis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
New version, with database!

I didn’t see a command on the software to load a database.

New version just now uploaded and ready for use.

Each time you add a new player that player is added to the database.

Then the next time you run a tournament you can hit P to get a new player from the db.

Please keep the comments/suggestions coming.

rementis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This is close, but not quite correct.

Each player starts with a number of chips. Stronger players get less chips to start with.

Each match is only one game, and if you lose you are down a chip. The winner keeps the table and incoming player breaks.

Last man to still have a chip is the winner.

It's a very fun and fast format.

rementis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And remember, the most used key is L for loser.

When you a lose a match, you go tell the tournament director. He hits the L key and tells the program you lost. Then a new player is sent to that table. And on it goes until the number of players gets low and you enter Shuffle mode. :)