Loctite Gel

kgoods

Consistently Inconsistent
Gold Member
As far as glue going bad someone on here a while back said to always squirt out the first drop or two that comes out of the spout and don't use it.
That makes sense because we all know the glue starts to cure in the spout. I have use two and three month old Loctite Professional with no problems.
Yes, I read that also and have always done that since. Another thing that seems to help a bunch that I forgot to mention... since humidity is even worse than heat for CA glues, I store my CA in sealed mason jars with desiccant packs inside.

I get the ones that color change and are microwave rechargable. But still won't go over three months after opening. I live in a low humidity area but it still seems to help. If one lives in a high humidity area I can see it going bad in a month. These glues are only 5-6 bux but I just hate to waste stuff unnecessarily.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I read that also and have always done that since. Another thing that seems to help a bunch that I forgot to mention... since humidity is even worse than heat for CA glues, I store my CA in sealed mason jars with desiccant packs inside.

I get the ones that color change and are microwave rechargable. But still won't go over three months after opening. I live in a low humidity area but it still seems to help. If one lives in a high humidity area I can see it going bad in a month. These glues are only 5-6 bux but I just hate to waste stuff unnecessarily.

Good points. I live in a dry area so humidity isn't an issue. But now that I've had a tip pop off at 3-4 months (EDIT: age of open glue) I simply won't go past the recommended timeframe. To me, it's like Kamui chalk, sure, it lasts a long time and you don't have to chalk that often - but when DO you chalk? After 2 shots, 3 shots? When you miscue? I can appreciate a lot of people have had great success going 60-90 days but right now I'm not willing to risk my name for a few bucks.

That being said, does anyone successfully use the single use containers?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
As far as glue going bad someone on here a while back said to always squirt out the first drop or two that comes out of the spout and don't use it.
That makes sense because we all know the glue starts to cure in the spout. I have use two and three month old Loctite Professional with no problems.
One of the best tips ever here . I just use the first drip as base coat for tips.
I sand most of it after anyway .

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Just did 4 tips yesterday with rapid fuze....one being a breaker. Now we wait to see how the field testing goes. So far have liked it. I didn't pre-treat the tips so I can see how well it actually glues to the different tips and ferrule types.
It's the only one I've used that had no problems with Samsara and clear plastic break tips .

wordtokyle

Do you guys still seal the back of the tips when using Rapid Fuse? I’ll be trying it out this week.

Also, sorry to resurrect the old thread.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Do you guys still seal the back of the tips when using Rapid Fuse? I’ll be trying it out this week.

Also, sorry to resurrect the old thread.
Yes. I use rapid fuse to seal too. I don't like the water thin CA as sealer because it gets down to the tip too much and makes the bottom layer too hard

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
Yes. I use rapid fuse to seal too. I don't like the water thin CA as sealer because it gets down to the tip too much and makes the bottom layer too hard

So many damn opinions on what is the best tip glue. Many even contradict each other. Personal experience is the best way to learn, and gets the most satisfying answer. Learning is mostly done through failure though, and I don't want someone else to suffer my failure as I figure it out.

I have been using the recommended Locktite gel with no problems until last week when a recently installed tip fell off. Could be just a cheap ferrule, could be the glue, could be I made an error. I see the opinion above that DAP Rapid Fuse is better, and I have seen another opinion elsewhere that the original brown Gorilla glue (not the CA one, even though that one is recommended too) is better than the CA glue.

I am trying to determine if given the same installation technique, one glue is really better than another or lesser % failure, or if the glues have relatively the same reliability and the installer just happened form a personal bias by chance.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Using the little 3-paks of Locktite allows me to throw away old glue without costing too much.

iu

I did 2 tips last night with one previously used tube, then trashed it. The product waste is better than a redo on the tip, imho.

Jeff Livingston

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
So many damn opinions on what is the best tip glue. Many even contradict each other. Personal experience is the best way to learn, and gets the most satisfying answer. Learning is mostly done through failure though, and I don't want someone else to suffer my failure as I figure it out.

I have been using the recommended Locktite gel with no problems until last week when a recently installed tip fell off. Could be just a cheap ferrule, could be the glue, could be I made an error. I see the opinion above that DAP Rapid Fuse is better, and I have seen another opinion elsewhere that the original brown Gorilla glue (not the CA one, even though that one is recommended too) is better than the CA glue.

I am trying to determine if given the same installation technique, one glue is really better than another or lesser % failure, or if the glues have relatively the same reliability and the installer just happened form a personal bias by chance.
The magnet on our mail box came off because the two screws came off . I glued the magnet and the steel plate with Rapid Fuse . The thing stays there for months . Then I glue it back again . That's how good Rapid Fuse is .

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
My $0.02 . . . I still use Loctite Ultra Gel (GUL).
Took apart that (at the time $9) GUL blue squeeze bottle to get one more tip's worth out, found a mini tube in it that was but 2/3 empty. WHAT A WASTE!!! Now only buying that 3-Pack of GUL. GREAT SPACE SAVER in the case also.

LUG so far has successfully glued my homemade clear ferrules & clear tips. Several Samsara's and G10 tips without issue.