• A.One long set

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • B. Multiple shorter sets

Votes: 48 73.8%

• Total voters

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I didnt vote, we need an either/or option. I like both, the important thing being that it is great match. Long sets over several days I find interesting because of how different a player can play day to day.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
One thing I dislike about these long matches (and the comment applies as well to many tournaments running normal-length matches) is how late into the next morning they run. Tonight, Van Boening and Orcollo will start a 9-Ball race to 150 at, apparently, 6 pm Central time. That will be 7 pm local time in Aiken, SC. It is likely to run way beyond midnight each day. The recent Van Boening/Woodward race to 150 (10-Ball) went to 1:30 am the first day and past 2 am the second day (Central time, so an hour later in the east) despite the average game length being only 4.5 minutes. Many tournaments have run even later.

Running so late may be good for no one other than the proprietor (and wait staff?) selling food and drink. Does any other "sport" maintain such hours? Wouldn't it be nice if tournament and challenge matches ended by about 11 pm each day? Of course, that would require some changes in format and, possibly, field size.

[And, yes, I realize that such late finishing times in one place are not so late in some other parts of the world.]

MSchaffer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I prefer races to 15ish on the big tables, but on a barbox, I'm looking for long races.
I'm not impressed with a B&R on a barbox, but I watch those to see how many they can string together in a row, and that can only be done in long races. I'm looking forward to Shane and Dennis this weekend, hoping to see a 10-15pack.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
If the goal is pitching pool towards JoeSportsFan all these obscure games/rules will never work. It has to be relatively fast and easy to follow. Trying to appeal to only hard-core pool fans will never build the game. My $.02, nothing more.
That isn't the goal in this thread

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always preferred longer races.

Anybody can run a few racks every once in a while and, with a few rolls, win short sets.

If you have the ability to catch a gear and do it for long periods you usually can run away with a long set if you are truly the better player.

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didnt vote, we need an either/or option. I like both, the important thing being that it is great match. Long sets over several days I find interesting because of how different a player can play day to day.
That’s what “ahead” sets are good for. Which are lower variance than short sets but a definitive result happens. If the match-up is good, meaning close to even, where nobody’s stealing.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That’s what “ahead” sets are good for. Which are lower variance than short sets but a definitive result happens. If the match-up is good, meaning close to even, where nobody’s stealing.
Exactly. I like a 7/10-ahead better but even those can get too long. Once watched James Walden give Coltrane the 8b, 10ahead for 10dimes here in Tulsa. Coltrane got on the hill THREE times and didn't get the $$. TooK three days to play. I watched a lot of day one, called for updates and came back for the finish. Epic match.

Last edited:

JC

Coos Cues
I don't think I'm alone in skimming through recorded matches to get to the end games. I find a lot of value in observing how great players games respond to pressure. It seems a recurring theme that if you tune in to 700 plus fargo players who are at the end of their matches they look like 550 players starting out a match. Pressure gets to damned near everyone at one time or another and it's re assuring to see at least for me.

Here is an epic example involving our own Tin Man I watched the other day. Long match but if you skip to the last three games it's quite a show. Here it is at hill hill.

Gatz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kevin Chang vs James Aranas $40k in middle July 30,31, 1st 2019 was the last big gambling match where I watched 90% of it. This was a bad ass match and they did best 2 out of 3 sets, races to 25. These guys did it right.

You can find the sets on Youtube. Highly recommend watching it.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Usually I don’t like long sets. However sometimes it’s very interesting when 2 strong players lock horns and really play. However when the long sets become the “norm” it’s bad for action IMO & can get boring.

Sadly a few of those sets are a exhibition & a money chop. That’s what I have a problem with. The extended dog & pony show action. Thankfully not all are like this-however some not a chop others are 100% a chop, the backers lose and the rail birds get fooled. Not cool, bad for pool.

Of course it can and does happen in short sets as well. But a bigger number on one set makes it convenient chop opportunity.

Often times shorter sets for less $ don’t have the appeal for the chop mentality and the bet grows after several sets. Of course if the players are intent on a chop, can’t be stopped. Just more moving parts and not as attractive at the jump as a $60,000 in the middle race to 100. That has chop written all over it.

Best
Fatboy

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Usually I don’t like long sets. However sometimes it’s very interesting when 2 strong players lock horns and really play. However when the long sets become the “norm” it’s bad for action IMO & can get boring.

Sadly a few of those sets are a exhibition & a money chop. That’s what I have a problem with. The extended dog & pony show action. Thankfully not all are like this-however some not a chop others are 100% a chop, the backers lose and the rail birds get fooled. Not cool, bad for pool.

Of course it can and does happen in short sets as well. But a bigger number on one set makes it convenient chop opportunity.

Often times shorter sets for less $ don’t have the appeal for the chop mentality and the bet grows after several sets. Of course if the players are intent on a chop, can’t be stopped. Just more moving parts and not as attractive at the jump as a $60,000 in the middle race to 100. That has chop written all over it.

Best
Fatboy
For example I thought the first 2 of the latest SVB/DO trilogy were outstanding, there was never a huge lead and if I remember correctly they both went hill/hill. To me that's a pretty close race for playing to 120. I thought it was fascinating to see each player blow hot and cold sometimes even on the same day and also the rolls kinda seemed to going 1 way then the other. On the other hand I watched an older SVB/Shaw 10 ball race to 100 that wasn't nearly as good, I don't think Shaw ever lead at all and Shane won by a fair margin.