look at what was hiding in the cocoboli stash...

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
It looked just like the others until..

Attachments

• 1455336252910-861904777.jpg
    1455336252910-861904777.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 588

cuesdefuentes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That looks very purple. Is it actually king wood? Awesome piece though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
You may be right. Randy is kinda clever.
I think the purple wood is just an attention getter.
What he really wants you to see are the bowling alley shaft blanks.
He stained the wood purple; notice the rubber glove in the left background.
Well, it got my attention anyway. Lol

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
You may be right. Randy is kinda clever.
I think the purple wood is just an attention getter.
What he really wants you to see are the bowling alley shaft blanks.
He stained the wood purple; notice the rubber glove in the left background.
Well, it got my attention anyway. Lol

Bowling alley...NEVER AGAIN. I'm an idiot for not knowing it is tongue and groove. I bought it for a table top to put the Predator on... After bar stock, epoxy, lags, sanding, more epoxy, and the impossibility of moving it by myself....FML. I could have had a table custom welded or bought a piece of butcher block. It is 42x72x2.5 and weighs 300lbs(give or take). If you want some lanes, PM me and I'll tell you where to get them. think I paid 30-40 dollars per linear foot. MAN, there I go again....forgetting what I paid!! OH, I forget to mention smoking(not crack Joe B.) 2 thirty dollar router bits while channeling a "trench" to lay 1/2 bar stock to hold the thing together. Then drilling that bar, using 75 dollars worth of West and microballoons........

I'm sure I'm over 600 into it, plus a hell of alot of time...

I honestly don't know if that is Coco or Kingwood. I don't remember buying any Kingwood, but since it looked just like all the other pieces the guys could have mixed it up by accident.....

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am in Jake's camp. I think it is coco. No reason to suspect it wasn't what it was supposed to be because coco can be that purple upon a fresh turn.

Kingwood without a prefix, usually is referring to Brazilian kingwood. That species is cearensis. The wood pictured for sure is not that, IMO. It could very well be Camatillo, which is often called Mexican kingwood. That species is congestiflora. Some sites incorrectly list Camatillo as cearensis. There are definitely two different rosewood referred to as kingwood. IMO Camatillo should just be called Camatillo and the cearensis kingwood should be called kingwood. I don't know if the kingwood voters were thinking Camatillo or not.

Last edited:

William

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have many of these purple Cocobolo pieces. They look identical. As Jake said, it won't last long.

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Interesting cue worthy figure whether Mexican cocobolo, which is likely, or camatillo. Both great cue woods.