Looking For First Cue

JLP

Newbie here. Ive been playing for about 7 months and Im looking to buy my first cue. My budget is only about 150.00 Ive been playing with a friends Mcdermott E series cue and it. I could keep using it as long as I want but he is not going to sell it to me and I want my own. I figured this was the as good a place as any to ask for advice. I would love to go to a store somewhere and try some out to see if they had that "feel" but there is not a store within 150 miles. I guess feel is the right word I mean when you strike the cue ball you can feel that strike through you arms and you can hear it and after you feel it you wont be satisfied with anything less. Im sure you guys know what im saying. I may not be able to get that feel with my budget and thats why Im asking the experts. Friends have offered there more expensive cue to try but I want because I cant afford one and I just know that they will feel better so Im not going to think about what I wish I had and go with what I can afford now. Any advixe would be appreciated.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rereading your post I noticed you wanted a stiff hitting cue.
Joss cues are the stiffest I've ever hit with due to the shaft taper they use.
The bad news is $150 wont get you one.

JLP

What about this cue not much about it online but find a lot of good thing about the Falcon brand.
falcanJPG.JPG

JLP

Rereading your post I noticed you wanted a stiff hitting cue.
Joss cues are the stiffest I've ever hit with due to the shaft taper they use.
The bad news is $150 wont get you one.
Looked them up and no sir 150 wont get it. I would hope for that price It would make the balls for me. LOL I just go play at a friends he has a nice set up with 2 bar tables prob wont ever get up to that level of cue but you never know.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Schmelke.....I had a Rocket cue in 1965 $20, first cue.

Make sure it's straight, jointed and that's all that's needed for your first cue.

No different than buying your first mtn. bike. Why spend ALLOT when you don't really know if your going to enjoy it more in a yr or two.

Crawl before you walk.

J. Groves

Registered
Newbie here. Ive been playing for about 7 months and Im looking to buy my first cue. My budget is only about 150.00 Ive been playing with a friends Mcdermott E series cue and it. I could keep using it as long as I want but he is not going to sell it to me and I want my own. I figured this was the as good a place as any to ask for advice. I would love to go to a store somewhere and try some out to see if they had that "feel" but there is not a store within 150 miles. I guess feel is the right word I mean when you strike the cue ball you can feel that strike through you arms and you can hear it and after you feel it you wont be satisfied with anything less. Im sure you guys know what im saying. I may not be able to get that feel with my budget and thats why Im asking the experts. Friends have offered there more expensive cue to try but I want because I cant afford one and I just know that they will feel better so Im not going to think about what I wish I had and go with what I can afford now. Any advixe would be appreciated.
Hey in my humble opinion, you need to ask if this is something you can see yourself doing a few years down the road? If so you can get a cue for around that price. More expensive doesn't usually translate to better pool. One thing I've learned from a few well known pro players is they regret playing with another cue after playing with one for a period of time. Some of these guys can still shoot better than a guy using a two thousand dollar cue. Find something you like and try to stick with it. I have an old Mcdermott and if your interested i can sell it. Its plain Jane but a good quality cue for that budget. A good quality tip also goes a long way.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Looked them up and no sir 150 wont get it. I would hope for that price It would make the balls for me. LOL I just go play at a friends he has a nice set up with 2 bar tables prob wont ever get up to that level of cue but you never know.
Don't count yourself out and don't get discouraged. The main reasons to play pool are camraderie, improvement, and enjoyment. If you enjoy pool, keep at it, and many benefits will come your way. Either buy the best cue you can afford now (don't forget the case) after studying the subject or be patient and save a little more money. You are in the best possible hands here at AZB.

Finally, do not overlook "used" cues. Cues may be abused, but they rarely wear out. Players are constantly upgrading and most sell their old cues (especially cues that are entry level). Keep your eyes open and tell everyone you see that you are in the market.

Be careful, stay safe, and have fun.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Also, make sure your able to roll it or see it rolled before your purchase to ''make sure'' it's straight when put together.

Or I'd go to a retail place and do that if that's where your purchase will happen.

JLP

Hey in my humble opinion, you need to ask if this is something you can see yourself doing a few years down the road? If so you can get a cue for around that price. More expensive doesn't usually translate to better pool. One thing I've learned from a few well known pro players is they regret playing with another cue after playing with one for a period of time. Some of these guys can still shoot better than a guy using a two thousand dollar cue. Find something you like and try to stick with it. I have an old Mcdermott and if your interested i can sell it. Its plain Jane but a good quality cue for that budget. A good quality tip also goes a long way.
Could you send me some pics. The looks are not that big of a deal to a certain extent.

JLP

I appreciate all the help. Looking for a cue on the internet is a bit overwhelming. I think a used cue may be the way to go for now. It looks like for used cue that If I start around $200 there is more to pick from.

Bob Farr

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Schmelke. They make them right there and will give you a stiff taper on the shaft if you ask. They aim to please.

cuefan6969

Did you find one yet? Before you buy can I ask about your game? How many balls can you pocket in a row? Do you have the ability to position the cue ball? The game is more about your stroke than the value of your cue. When you get better and your game is more advanced a better cue will sometimes make a difference. Sometimes a better cue is just an investment. Let me know what kind or brand of cue you are looking for. I have a few that might work for you.

wagdad

Yup, I'm that Guy.
Silver Member
What about this cue not much about it online but find a lot of good thing about the Falcon brand.View attachment 580794
If you have been playing with a McDermott cue dont switch to a 5/16x14 piloted steel joint, it will feel like a soft dull hit compared to the 3/8x10 flat face joint of a McDermott cue. Check the balance point of the McDermott and its weight and look for the same specifications in your next cue. And I would also recommend Schmelke for your first cue, they are underrated and quality made.