Looking for Ideas on fixing a small dent in Butt?

DirtyDawg69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi, Some jerk kicked the bottom of my cue as he was walking by my table at the pool hall tuesday evening and put a dent in the butt, It cracked the finish and I'm wworried about it starting to Flake, It is not a very expensive cue, Would fingernail polish work to seal it and make it smooth or what should I try? Thanks, TODD

johnqbs

john@qbs
Silver Member
try to polish it out

if the dent is very small you can use 1200 or 1500 hundred grit sand paper
to sand it out then use some light polish to bring the shine back to it.
be carefull not to sand off the finish . if its not bad, as have to hunt for it
to see it . leave it alone.
johnqbs:anderson sc

W.Earp

Go away Hillary
Silver Member
It MIGHT work to seal it and keep it from getting larger, but I doubt it will be real smooth.Hopefully Mr. Neighbors or KJ will wiegh in on this one.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Clear nail polish will work to seal as been said, you can also try a very small amount of superglue and let it dry.

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
When you get enough dents where it really bothers you, belly up and have a pro refinish the cue. Until then buffing should help a little. Rick G

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Clear nail polish will work to seal as been said, you can also try a very small amount of superglue and let it dry.

I agree. This seals the break in the film keeping out dirt and quick moisture transfer.

Dick

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Good morning gentlemen,

The OP states that the finish is cracked. If the crack runs through the finish to the surface of the wood, all the polishing in the world isn't going to make it go away.

Not a lot of info to go on here. "not a very expensive cue", "dent in the butt", "it cracked the finish".
Knowing the brand of cue would help to identify the finish that was used.
Is it UV, auto clear-coat, lacquer?

In any event, a CM or Cue-Tech should be consulted if you want it repaired correctly. A spot-finish repair may be all that's needed.

Nail polish or CA will indeed seal the damage but won't 'bite' the existing finish enough to make the cracked finish disappear. It will always be visible until the crack is sanded down to bare wood and refinished.

Without a pic, it's hard to advise further.

Dents/accidents happen. I doubt the 'perp' did it on purpose. Chances are that during the life of this cue, it may acquire a few more dents/dings. No Biggie.
If the cue has significant value to you, you may elect at some time to have the cue completely refinished.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
to add to whats been said, I would also suggest the use of fingernail polish over the superglue ESPECIALLY if the finish on your cue is laquer/paint which is not as hard as a superglue or epoxy finish. The superglue would be harder to sand down and you might end up going into the finish that is already there. The softer fingernail polish would work down easier without the area around it being affected as much.

The same comes into play when refinishing table slates, you don't want to have the bondo too hard if thats what your using as you will grind down the surrounding slate while the bondo holds form. Leaving you with a hill and depression around it.

hope that helps,
Grey Ghost

DirtyDawg69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fixing a dent.

Sorry, It is a Schuler slc, I'm more concerned in it spredding more than any thing, I thought about super glue or Nail polish but thought I would ask on here first. The dent is about the size of a pencil eraser cut in half. I tried to take some pictures but they won't show up in the picture.