looking for live center

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I was playing with my CNC mill today trying to dial in the Taig based spinner setup I just built and kept getting weird results while cutting a straight 30" dowel. the dia. measurements at the ends were off from each other, and not consistent. After messing with it for awhile, for some reason I tugged on the live center in the tailstock and the whole point shell came off from the bearings. I am now looking and wondering where I can get a moderately priced small live center that is accurate, and 3/8" shank? I can make one, just don't want to waste a day making it if I don't have to. I know some cue suppliers sell one, but that was the style that just blew apart.... looking for a more robust style. Any help appreciated, PM me if you are more comfortable with that. Thanks,
Dave

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
I was playing with my CNC mill today trying to dial in the Taig based spinner setup I just built and kept getting weird results while cutting a straight 30" dowel. the dia. measurements at the ends were off from each other, and not consistent. After messing with it for awhile, for some reason I tugged on the live center in the tailstock and the whole point shell came off from the bearings. I am now looking and wondering where I can get a moderately priced small live center that is accurate, and 3/8" shank? I can make one, just don't want to waste a day making it if I don't have to. I know some cue suppliers sell one, but that was the style that just blew apart.... looking for a more robust style. Any help appreciated, PM me if you are more comfortable with that. Thanks,
Dave
I use the Taig live center......... works very nice but will wear out an get loose after a few years...............

Kim

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use the extended live center specifically made for cue makers that Sherline sells. It's not 3/8" though, it's MT0.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I use the extended live center specifically made for cue makers that Sherline sells. It's not 3/8" though, it's MT0.
Thanks, just looked at it, looks nice but has .0025 runout....and $90...I may just go with a dead center and see if that clears up the .003-.004" difference over 30" that I am experiencing.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, just looked at it, looks nice but has .0025 runout....and $90...I may just go with a dead center and see if that clears up the .003-.004" difference over 30" that I am experiencing.
It's not like my Rohm extended point MT3 center, that's for sure, but still pretty good, the price is fairly steep, no doubt about that..
If you find the right pressure and use some BLO or carnauba wax in the hole you should be good.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Btw have you checked out this post on the hobby machinist forum:

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Btw have you checked out this post on the hobby machinist forum:
WOW...Don't believe I am ready for that level...hahaha....Very good thread, and I will pick thru it If I do build my own. Thanks Kim

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for that. Good site.

You're welcome. That's where I bought my mini-lathe instead of e-bay. It was a bit more but the fact they have a B&M store in CA was a big selling point. I've only used their customer service once (had some questions about gear sets for cutting threads) but it was excellent.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Have you checked out littlemachineshop.com? Not sure of quality compared to what you're looking for but I know they have a variety and have decent prices.
I did, was the second place I looked and unfortunately, the only straight shank live center is too stubby for a cutter in a mill to fit without the cutter hitting it. They are a really great place for machining tooling etc. Gt both QCTP setups from them a couple years ago. Great to deal with.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did, was the second place I looked and unfortunately, the only straight shank live center is too stubby for a cutter in a mill to fit without the cutter hitting it. They are a really great place for machining tooling etc. Gt both QCTP setups from them a couple years ago. Great to deal with.

LOL, I did see that little fella in there, it definitely has a large diameter so won't fit everyone's needs.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Well, I have switched to using a dead center, the built in one that is part of the taig tailstock, and a bit of BLO, and my .004" difference over 30" has not only disappeared but it is now consistently the same measurement over the 5 test dowels. I think it's safe to say, it fixed the issue. Big thanks to all, especially the PM I got.;)

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I have switched to using a dead center, the built in one that is part of the taig tailstock, and a bit of BLO, and my .004" difference over 30" has not only disappeared but it is now consistently the same measurement over the 5 test dowels. I think it's safe to say, it fixed the issue. Big thanks to all, especially the PM I got.;)

I saw someone else mention that and was going to try it, sounds like it works :)

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

FWIW, the .0025" is worse case scenario. I have two. One was less than a thou out of the wrapper. I believe the other was a breath under .002". I reground the tip to about half a thou on that one.

JerseyBill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave
I think it's unusual for that to fail. The cuemakers sell one I've had for years. BUT, MSC sells quality stuff as well as a few others. Shars sold me a quality item too. A little gamble on EBAY, but Chinese can be good if you compare. Compare is good,