Loose Racks

Is this a form of cheating?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bob Romano

Bob' Wife
Silver Member
Loose racks can often be exploited but if I ask for a re-rack and they refuse then they should forfeit the game to me.

I don't know what the rules are on that but that seems very unsportsmanlike. I don't know if "cheating" is necessarily the word I'd use for it but for sure that seems outside the boundaries of fair play.

How do you know it was intentionally racked loose?

As I stated, he was notified the rack was loose and he adamantly refused to re-rack the balls.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
In a pool tournament of any kind, without a referee and looser racks, if your opponent intentionally gives you a loose rack and refuses to tighten it, do you consider it cheating?

A poll I can't vote on...not enough options.

..and in the follow up post you use the words 'intentionally gives your a loose rack'
is obviously biased...of course it's cheating in this instance.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Break soft

I'm actually quite good at breaking medium to soft speed, not making anything and parking whitey on the bottom rail. I do this when I'm getting a bad rack. You have to practice it, yet be determined to put the one ball at the top of the table too.

I like it.

On numerous occasions, back when I could still play a little, I'd run a few racks, and my opponent would respond with a VERY loose rack. I'd break soft and torture them with defense. They usually racked them tightly after that...

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The opponent has purposly bad racked and out right refuses to re-rack the balls.

It's just a simple question, why be so nasty ?
This poll has nothing to do its anything prior, it's s simple simple simple question. If you can't honestly answer it, don't bother.

So, you add a sentence after i reply then you post something that appears unbelievably similar to the first thread. Must be a HUGE coincidence i suppose.

The grapes seem to be very sour.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
And, boy was she fat!
(How fat was she?)
When she stood up wearing high heels, she struck oil.
She was standing at a street corner and a Cop comes over and tells her to break it up.

And, ugly! That woman was ugly.
(How ugly was she?)
Whenever she'd come over to the house I'd have to put down newspapers.
My Father-in-law told me he met her at the Macy's Parade. She was wearing ropes! :smile:

I think I remember her. When you told her to haul ass, she had to make two trips!

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seriously??? Btw, thanks for the green is but obviously you misread what I had posted in the " other " thread OR more likely just heard what you wanted to. I found the first thread kinda hard to believe but whatever right. Now a poll? Everything else aside for a second, since your man is so good why not just challenge and get the crown back and fagettaboutid !

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have something to add. I came from a time and place just before all this rack your own stuff. If you dicked the rack against someone for money they would demand a good rerack. If you kept doing it there was gonna be problems. And yes I have seen bad fights over the rack. That kept most honest.

I have one rid bit to add. There is this guy; Cigar Tom, who could rack infinitelyrics and the 9 ball would never move. Countless people over the decades have examined the racks - nothing! To my knowledge he has " taught this to two people. His son, and one of our very own if he cares to chime in. There are threads on this here.

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's absolutely cheating. It's more than just stealing money. It's denying you the fruits of all you practiced for, the fruits of your labor.

I was playing in a loser breaks, short race (unhandicapped) tourney a few months ago. While playing a match on one table, I watched this older guy loose rack his opponent every single rack and win because of it. A few rounds later, I'm up against him.

I win the coin toss, he racks. I always give my opponent the benefit of the doubt and don't check the rack in these local tourneys. At least until I get slug racked. I break and had to count to make sure enough balls (4) hit the rail. It was a perfect slug rack as expected.

He proceeds to run 9 and out. Obviously a seasoned player and obviously a low life. After his next rack (loser Breaks), I checked the rack. The 1 ball wasn't touching anything with at least 1/8" gap on both sides. The second row balls weren't touching either.

So I politely pointed out, "The one ball isn't touching anything, it must have rolled off". I knew differently but was trying to avoid a confrontation. I waked back to my table to take a drink of my beer and chat with the wife. When I turn around, he is still standing in the same place, cue butt on the ground with both hands tightly gripping it. He was obviously trying to act like he is ignoring me. I'm standing directly across from him and he is turning his head away from me attempting to avoid eye contact.

So I decide to confront him again, "Hey, the rack is loose, please re-rack it" as I'm glaring at him.

I'm doing the best I can", he says while standing like a statue in the same stance as before.

I go back to my table again and wait a few seconds. He makes no motion to correct the rack so I confront him again yelling across the pool hall, "At least make the 1 ball touch at least one other ball and make one of the second row balls touch the third row."

"I'm an old man", he says. "I'm doing the best I can" he snapped it back at me in an intimidating fashion.

So I stand there for a few seconds watching him stand like a statue, making no motions toward the table avoiding eye contact. I maybe should have composed myself before the next confrontation because my blood pressure was rising rapidly.

I walked over to the rack end (He was on the break end) and informed him that he needed to re-rack to which he gave the same response, "I'm doing the best I can, I can't rack well". This came from a guy that just ran 9 and out through the traffic that he created from his last slug rack. Does he actually think that I'm so stupid to believe that he lost all motor skills between running a rack and racking the next set?

I responded with heavy sarcasm and anger, "Oh, I see you need some help". I then framed my cue through the rack sending balls everywhere. "I'm not taking no hillbilly rack........ Chop, Chop!" I walked back to the table, grabbed my beer and had a few sips before turning around to look at him standing like a statue in the same spot. I put my hands out to the side in the WTF position. He said something that I deemed very uncolorful to me from across the room. At that point I issued a few threats of violence about the time that the tourney director showed up.

She asked so I explained. She said that I should have called her over. She went over to get his side of the story while he was unscrewing. All he had to say for himself was that he couldn't rack well. She started giving me "the story" obviously leaning toward booting me and keeping him (She would have been right to do so) when I rudely cut her off and pointed out that he already unscrewed and cased his cues so he already forfeited. She did let me finish and I placed 4th in the money.

I'm not suggesting violent retaliation but I am suggesting to never accept a bad rack and to always get the director involved if your words fall on deaf ears. Don't let losers cheat you, make a stand.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I have one rid bit to add. There is this guy; Cigar Tom, who could rack infinitelyrics and the 9 ball would never move. Countless people over the decades have examined the racks - nothing! To my knowledge he has " taught this to two people. His son, and one of our very own if he cares to chime in. There are threads on this here.

When the 9-ball doesn't move on the break, it's often the sign of an excellent rack.
Swanee was one of the best on this...if it was possible to get all balls froze, he could do it.....I have a friend in my area that can do it also...I call him the Human Sardo.
...it's very hard to do in pool hall conditions...often the balls are different sizes.

I never had much trouble in action (loser racks)...we'd fiddle around on the first rack...
....and tap them if we had to....sometimes a full ball high.(.it was :Do the same for me)
...you never racked them low, 'cause it favored the breaker too much.

My two best breaks ever, the 9-ball never left the diamond.