Machinist level?

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
And there's no need for you to post in this forum as you have nothing worthwhile to say, unless you just like feeling like you're important, in which you're not!!
I suspect he has things worthwhile, but I have grown weary of reading his long winded side tracking mostly about himself posts ... so I use the scroll down trick.

Dave <-- appreciates brevity

Dartman

Silver Member
Sine we're talking machinist levels, I have a new (never used) Starrett 98-12
I'd like to sell if anyone is interested.

98-12-3.jpg

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I currently have 61 entries in my ignore list. :LOL:
Life is too short....
I thought i was doin something at 13. You rock brother. Sometimes i check i check on a couple just to see if their lunacy has ebb'd. Nope. Move on.

DaveK

Silver Member
Sine we're talking machinist levels, I have a new (never used) Starrett 98-12
I'd like to sell if anyone is interested.

View attachment 759649
Nice. I got mine (the 12") years back. It too looked (and looks) unused, even has the oil paper, all packing and original inspection slip in the wooden box. Great deals can be found. Hope you find a good home for yours.

BTW the vials are replaceable, so if one comes across a cheap deal for a 98 with broken vial grab it and fix it.

Dave

DaveK

Silver Member
Or if its a level for a pool table you set it on a relatively stable and level bench, mark it, take a reading, turn it 180 degrees aligned with your mark and read it again. Simple.
(assuming this is about calibrating a machinist level)

I use two hard stops. Aligning marks does not work as well for me, hard stops on the corner of my surface plate are fool-proof.

Dave <-- occasionally a fool

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
(assuming this is about calibrating a machinist level)

I use two hard stops. Aligning marks does not work as well for me, hard stops on the corner of my surface plate are fool-proof.

Dave <-- occasionally a fool
You mean you cant get the bubble to line up equally in both directions? Are you using a sturdy, rigid bench and work top?

DaveK

Silver Member
You mean you cant get the bubble to line up equally in both directions? Are you using a sturdy, rigid bench and work top?
No, I am speaking to the precision needed when reversing directions. If you are a little out the calibration can be faulty or frustrating. Therefore I do not rely on marks, I use hard stops (see https://www.travers.com/category/positioning-stops-tools for examples ... my setup is 1-2-3 blocks clamped to the sides of the surface plate).

I have a very sturdy work bench with a 2" maple top (damn I hate moving that!), and a (grade B) granite surface plate for resting the level. I've also used my milling machine table with the blocks clamped down but prefer the surface plate, better height for this work.

BTW in case anyone is wondering I have 3 Starrett 98s, a 4" and 6" that were rebuilt and the 12" almost new. Have done the calibrations a few times over the years :)

Dave <-- has a pretty level lathe :)

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
No, I am speaking to the precision needed when reversing directions. If you are a little out the calibration can be faulty or frustrating. Therefore I do not rely on marks, I use hard stops (see https://www.travers.com/category/positioning-stops-tools for examples ... my setup is 1-2-3 blocks clamped to the sides of the surface plate).

I have a very sturdy work bench with a 2" maple top (damn I hate moving that!), and a (grade B) granite surface plate for resting the level. I've also used my milling machine table with the blocks clamped down but prefer the surface plate, better height for this work.

BTW in case anyone is wondering I have 3 Starrett 98s, a 4" and 6" that were rebuilt and the 12" almost new. Have done the calibrations a few times over the years :)

Now I get it. I'm sure that works great, good thinking!!!!

snookered_again

it's normal for someone using an accurate level to keep flipping it end for end, if it is out a line or two you will see right away... I see what you mean though with a very accurate level you want a rigid and hopefully close to level surface to adjust it with, otherwise it's just all over the place and confusing things while you are in the process of making fine adjustments.

basically even if the level is out a little , what you want to see is the same error either way, then you know it's level even with a level that is adjusted poorly and out by out a line or two. If its dead on it just saves a bit of flipping so you can find true level. Nicer if it is.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
Overkill is never a bad thing when you're calibrating a precision instrument!

Hard Knock Cues

I just changed the vial in a 98-12" i bought with a cracked one. This time I Clamped a framing square on the top of my table saw for a hard stop to calibrate it. I rechecked a couple I calibrated not long ago using just lines drawn on a table and one was slightly off.