Magic Chalk :)

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have no issue's with MC or RJ, in my post I said that I've used it and liked it better than Masters. When I go back through and read the thread I missed the OP's 2nd post, (actually read it but didn't realize he was the OP) and was trying to tell him I had tried a couple different brands and found something that I liked better. Had I picked up on his statement that he'd tried BD I wouldn't have bothered with my 1st post.

RJ, I'm not a returning banned member, I'm using the name that I've used on forums for the past 10 years or so. I have no agenda against you and don't mind "bumping" the thread, and will read the other pro's names, could prove to be interesting. ;)

Personally, it didn't feel to me like you were trolling, FWIW. There are a lot a trolls here so it's hard to tell sometimes. :)

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Issues

I have no issue's with MC or RJ, in my post I said that I've used it and liked it better than Masters. When I go back through and read the thread I missed the OP's 2nd post, (actually read it but didn't realize he was the OP) and was trying to tell him I had tried a couple different brands and found something that I liked better. Had I picked up on his statement that he'd tried BD I wouldn't have bothered with my 1st post.

RJ, I'm not a returning banned member, I'm using the name that I've used on forums for the past 10 years or so. I have no agenda against you and don't mind "bumping" the thread, and will read the other pro's names, could prove to be interesting. ;)

Cool
Glade that there isn't bad blood, but at the same time it almost seemed like there was , at least to me .

English wasn't my favorite subject in school and easy to have misunderstanding's when writing.

Sorry I dropped in on this with you .
If you like other chalks, you should start your own threat ...
Personally I think Magic is one of the best chalks on the market , but if you think there is a better chalk then fire away in your own thread .

Have a great day

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
The beauty of chalk

The beauty of chalk is... It's all in the chalking technique. I hate to see drilling and grinding. Makes me sick. The right way is to brush the chalk over the tip. I would say preferably not with the bridge hand, but to each his own. Here's the secret. Alternate holding the sides of the chalk, and the corners of the chalk. That way, it wears down evenly, not just on the corners. An even scalloping method should begin to show.

Normally, I don't comment on chalk threads, I prefer technical discussions on cues. However, Magic Chalk is very nice. Applies evenly, stays clean, not much residue on the cue ball. Enjoy, you chalk-aholics...

All the best,
WW

Attachments

• Magic Chalk 2.jpg
    Magic Chalk 2.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 574

Yotehntr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for your understanding guys, sure understand what you're saying on trolls... being mainly from hunting sites you can imagine. Actually came here as a curiosity, if you google "hickory burl" I'm the one with the green tote full of it. Most has been sold off for a pool table and pool cues now. I'm actually a call maker and have been thinking about getting into cue making... yeah I need another hobby. lol I've added a couple Ivory ferrules to my own cues (can't sell ivory on calls these days) so thought I'd use what I have on my own stuff. Going to stop here, started to post pics of my work, but what a hijack, my apologies.

Bob 14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well Bob while you quoted someone else's post, that is my piece of chalk so I'll answer your question of how I chalk.

Like you, I chalk with my bridge hand. No, I don't put the cue on the ground, I hold just like I hold it when shooting & swipe my tip with chalk with my bridge hand. Nothing special, as I wear down one corner I just shift the chalk to another corner eventually wearing all 4 corners down evenly. Just the way I learned to chalk. Biggest pain in the ass is trimming the wrapper.

Yes, I noticed my mistake later. Thank you so much for your response! I've had limited success, but I never thought of using the chalk one corner at a time. I've been rotating the chalk as best I can and swiping down each side, parallel to the wrapper. I'll try your method. Thank you again!

Lowes sells foam blocks covered in various sandpaper grits. C. $3 @. They very quickly trim down the chalk as well as the wrapper. The cube looks totally factory with a perfectly smooth top, and a razor straight wrapper, both sanded down simultaneously. Give it a shot.

You can cut the sandpaper block easily, it's also washable and truly does a fantastic job.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Showing stuff you make

Thanks for your understanding guys, sure understand what you're saying on trolls... being mainly from hunting sites you can imagine. Actually came here as a curiosity, if you google "hickory burl" I'm the one with the green tote full of it. Most has been sold off for a pool table and pool cues now. I'm actually a call maker and have been thinking about getting into cue making... yeah I need another hobby. lol I've added a couple Ivory ferrules to my own cues (can't sell ivory on calls these days) so thought I'd use what I have on my own stuff. Going to stop here, started to post pics of my work, but what a hijack, my apologies.

If you are a turner Post a picture or two of what you make .

Start yourself a thread , introduce yourself posts some photos of your work and enjoy this forum.
just a suggestion ......

The ask the cue maker section can be informational .
Allot of hobby shop turners in here ,
Hobby :rolleyes:

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious how you manage this? Do you place the cue on the floor and then meticulously swipe it with the intent on creating this sort of look? I paint the chalk with my bridge hand, and while I get a nice shallow roundness to the chalk cube's surface, I simply can't understand how you accomplish this near flat chalk surface. If I rest the cue on the floor, I find it takes away greatly from the time I have to survey the table. I wish I could emulate this chalk shape, but I'm curious as to how you accomplish it, and if obtaining this shape is so laborious, that it takes precedent over merely painting the tip properly for your next shot? :shrug:

I hold the cue with my bridge hand and stroke the tip with the chalk with my stroking hand. as I survey the table and plan my shot. Watch almost any 3C match on youtube and you will see that this is how they do it. It isn't laborious at all, and I don't "aim" for this kind of surface pattern, it simply follows from how I routinely chalk. Maybe it is the difference between holding the chalk still and moving the cue (pool player way) and holding the cue still and moving the chalk?

I've seen some pool players do it like this as well, but I think they may be in the minority A while back there was thread on something like"chalk wars" where people posted pictures of their well-used chalk and they had my pattern for the most part.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Having a differant opinion doesn't mean someone is trying to "derail" the topic, or crap on your parade (you're not the op) just offering another opinion. If someone is wanting to try a differant chalk I'd advise trying several. I did buy some magic chalk and liked it, I just liked the BD better when I gave it a try. (It is a bonus to me that it's made in the USA) Someone said it was made in Italy so I showed pics of it "Made in USA". At the bottom of your post you quote Dr Dave so I will too.

"BOTTOM LINE":
"All brands of chalk have similar performance if you chalk before each shot and keep the CB clean."

You have been here about three minutes and you do not know the history so your comment is way off base because you do not know the context, It isn't the first time this has happened. It isn't the second time it has happened. It has happened in every Magic Chalk thread. So these guys ARE trying to derail the thread, not offer an opposing opinion, as the opposing opinion has already been stated numerous times while derailing other threads. Some folks have their little pet peeves and cannot help themselves from sticking them in wherever they can.

Welcome to life on AZBilliards.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well Bob while you quoted someone else's post, that is my piece of chalk so I'll answer your question of how I chalk.

Like you, I chalk with my bridge hand. No, I don't put the cue on the ground, I hold just like I hold it when shooting & swipe my tip with chalk with my bridge hand. Nothing special, as I wear down one corner I just shift the chalk to another corner eventually wearing all 4 corners down evenly. Just the way I learned to chalk. Biggest pain in the ass is trimming the wrapper.

I wish my left hand was coordinated enough that I could hold the chalk in that hand. I can't but using opposite hands I suspect we chalk the same. And I agree, trimming the paper is a pain.

Yotehntr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have been here about three minutes and you do not know the history so your comment is way off base because you do not know the context, It isn't the first time this has happened. It isn't the second time it has happened. It has happened in every Magic Chalk thread. So these guys ARE trying to derail the thread, not offer an opposing opinion, as the opposing opinion has already been stated numerous times while derailing other threads. Some folks have their little pet peeves and cannot help themselves from sticking them in wherever they can.

Welcome to life on AZBilliards.

You are correct, I had no idea..

MMike, I'll start a thread... looks like you have a bit of the adiction too. :)

edited to add just posted in the new member thread.

Last edited:

Bob 14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's what I use to trim down the chalk. It also sands away the wrapper perfectly even with the top of the new chalk surface. Sand from the wrapper inward to get a new looking wrapper.

Can be cut to fit in a case. Washable and probably doesn't take more than one minute to sand down the cube face with, as mentioned, a perfectly sharp edge on the wrapper.

Lowes or Depot. No biggie, but it lasts forever and it's super efficient and foolproof to use. I usually try to find something c. 220 grit. Singles or multi-pack...

899e10f3-316d-4eb2-96ea-4f9afc70d557_1000.jpg

36149e15-4fab-4e70-8803-233da17513e4_1000.jpg

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
You are correct, I had no idea..

MMike, I'll start a thread... looks like you have a bit of the adiction too. :)

edited to add just posted in the new member thread.

Keep your thread fun and informational.
And post some pics of your work .....
Welcome to the forum .

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
And the powerball yesterday was 08. So, TommyT wins a FREE Magic Chalk shirt.

PM your size and address.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member

Thank you, Justin