Mark Wilson - lesson

chas1022

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look I was away from pool for awhile and got back into it and realized how much I love it. I started to learn straight pool but my game was off I knew it was something with my fundamentals but I couldn’t figure it out. I contacted Mark Wilson and after a couple of weeks and working over time I went out to take a lesson with Mark. I won’t go into what he does except to say there are 3 videos of what he does on YouTube. Mark video recorded me( dam camera adds 40 pounds) and he showed me what I do well and what I didn’t do well. Then explained these things are fixable and he explained what we where going to do to fix them. I received instant feed back when I did something right and wrong. ,then Mark told me this what I did wrong and here is what you need to do to fix that. Mark worked with me for about 6 hours straight without a break then we went to eat and talked a bit . Then we went back to the pool hall which is filled with old posters of the greats and pics on the walls I loved it. After the lesson was done we talked a bit I bought his book which is great . Mark really helped me out and straighten a few things out for me. Mark wasn’t just about the money he really loves pool and loves teaching it. I’m not saying pros can’t teach you some can and they sure can teach you the games intricate moves like in straight pool but for fundamentals save your time and go to someone that breaks down your fundamentals step by step . By the way Mark can also teach intricate stuff like safeties in straight pool . If this helps someone great.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Glad you had such a good experience. Mark is, and has always been, a credit to the game and one of its great treasures. He has dedicated his life to teaching the game. Mark has great knowledge, great communication skills and great enthusiasm and these add up to a teacher deserving of his legendary status in our game.

Stay the course. You're working with one of the greats.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice report, happy playing:)

BTW, I thought Mark was a pro or near pro level in his prime? Something like a Fargo 730 or above today?

pab

Center ball can do it all
Silver Member
Mark was definitely a pro. He sank the winning 9-ball for Team USA in the first Mosconi cup. He also has some great stories about how he learned to play from Jerry Briesath (another amazing individual) as well as plenty of other great pool-related stories. Fantastic instructor, too.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I drove over to Collinsville and took a lesson from Mark in December of 2004. The one nugget of info that I took away from the lesson is that you HAVE to hit the CB right where you are aiming, right where you want. Some shots you can get away with being off a little but most shots you cant.

r/DCP

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sounds like he put you on the path for improving. Maybe practice his corrections to your game for a few weeks and let us know how much your high runs have improved.

Hoser

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Welcome back to pool and how smart to seek advice from Mr. Wilson. Sure it was time well spent. My favorite pool instruction book for sure. I find his teaching style very useful. Love the diagram of the accuracy of players of various skill levels including pros striking the cue. The YouTube video of stroke timing is another favorite resulting in getting several coaching apps for my iPad (liked "coaches eye" best) and timing myself. BTW it is fun to video a video on YouTube with various pros and use the app to watch different players strokes in super slo-mo.

wagdad

Yup, I'm that Guy.
Silver Member
I too have watched Mark Wilson videos on YouTube, they helped me for sure. But what I have not been able to find is what to aim at on the object ball as an aim point before getting into position to try and move my cue in a straight line to contact said aim point. So now my stance and form are much much better but I have no idea where to aim now!

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I too have watched Mark Wilson videos on YouTube, they helped me for sure. But what I have not been able to find is what to aim at on the object ball as an aim point before getting into position to try and move my cue in a straight line to contact said aim point. So now my stance and form are much much better but I have no idea where to aim now!
You shoot through the center of the cue ball on a line parallel to the contact line. It helps if you are down low where the cue, cue ball, and object ball are all in your line of sight as you shoot.

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you use the ghost ball aiming method, you aim at the exact point on the table where the ghost ball is sitting.

ontopic: I own Mark's book as well, I emailed with him a few times about mailing the book to me and when it would arrive, since it had to be mailed to the Netherlands. He seemed like a very nice guy to talk to. And I love the book!

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
i learn quite a bit just listening to the man talk and his accu stats lesson videos so i can only imagine what in personal lesson from him can do for your game.

congrats

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not an instructor but I really don’t think most good players focus on an actual spot on the object ball to aim at when stroking. Yes, you are looking last towards that object ball when you pull the trigger, but your brain just subconsciously calculates the line to stroke the cue ball factoring in the spin they are applying, where that object ball sits in relation to where the pocket is located.

It’s a trial and error thing that just happens from hitting hundreds of thousands of shots and your brain taking in that information and making adjustments, if necessary, when you miss, and which side you’re missing on.

Last edited:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not an instructor but I really don’t think most good players focus on an actual spot on the object ball to aim at when stroking. Yes, you are looking last towards that object ball when you pull the trigger, but your brain just subconsciously calculates the line to stroke the cue ball on in relation to where that object ball sits.

It’s a trial and error thing that just happens from hitting hundreds of thousands of shots and your brain taking in that information and making adjustments, if necessary, when you miss, and which side you’re missing on.
I think when it comes right down to it, your brain processes it as hitting to a ghost ball, no matter what aiming system you think you're using. Then you have to force your brain to hit off from that spot when you compensate for squirt and throw. Yeah I know, it's just a theory, but plausible.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think when it comes right down to it, your brain processes it as hitting to a ghost ball, no matter what aiming system you think you're using. Then you have to force your brain to hit off from that spot when you compensate for squirt and throw. Yeah I know, it's just a theory, but plausible.

This is why I always tell people to take any "system" with a grain of salt when it's endorsed or used by experienced players since they will adjust a bit to make things "right" if it looks off to them using any system. If anyone wants to see how well a system works, teach it to a new player and have them aim using only that system from the first baby steps they take.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you are exactly right! I have Mark's book and it has helped me tremendously, am I going on the road anytime soon? No, but who knows if things get real bad! LOL My biggest takeaway has been the mental aspect, racking and stacking the priorities, working toward that stroke accuracy of 1 mm. Challenge yourself during the drills, take the path of the most resistance. So many times in anything that I have taken on, whether football, baseball in school, so much wasted time doing useless drills, bad coaching really is what it falls down to, but at the time I didn't know any better. I have a feeling I'm not alone in my assessment. Unfortunately by the time you get it figured out you are too old to really peak. LOL All is good though.

Smutzc

I too have taken lessons from Mark. I always played maybe once a week with my father in law and an old farmer on sundays. I eventually joined a league team and sought out lessons from Mark Wilson. I took his fundamental training home, worked hard on it. After working on my stroke and getting it fine tuned I went back to Mark for another lesson. In 2 sessions I went from a 3 to a 6 APA. Not saying that just going to see Mark will magically bump you up. He gave me the inspiration to train hard and really work on my game. I would get up at 5 am and go out to the pole barn and work on my game 4 days a week before work. Took his book to work with me and read when ever I had down time. I can not say enough good things about Mark. Not only does he have the knowledge to teach but also he gives you the passion to want to become the best. When ever I have a slump in my game I watch his 3 videos online or re read parts of his book and it automatically makes me want to work harder, and usually gets me out of my slump. Glad to hear your having a great experience with Mark. Hope you go back and get another lesson with Mark.