Mark Wilson - lesson

71dewajack

I too have taken lessons from Mark. I always played maybe once a week with my father in law and an old farmer on sundays. I eventually joined a league team and sought out lessons from Mark Wilson. I took his fundamental training home, worked hard on it. After working on my stroke and getting it fine tuned I went back to Mark for another lesson. In 2 sessions I went from a 3 to a 6 APA. Not saying that just going to see Mark will magically bump you up. He gave me the inspiration to train hard and really work on my game. I would get up at 5 am and go out to the pole barn and work on my game 4 days a week before work. Took his book to work with me and read when ever I had down time. I can not say enough good things about Mark. Not only does he have the knowledge to teach but also he gives you the passion to want to become the best. When ever I have a slump in my game I watch his 3 videos online or re read parts of his book and it automatically makes me want to work harder, and usually gets me out of my slump. Glad to hear your having a great experience with Mark. Hope you go back and get another lesson with Mark.
I think that is the ideal formula for anyone that wants to excel in any field, whether it be pool, guitar, carpentry, etc. You learn from those who are better and more knowledgeable than yourself, then you work your tail off. Of course there are other factors involved, but there is no substitute for hard work, and gaining wisdom and insight from those that know better.

wagdad

Yup, I'm that Guy.
Silver Member
You shoot through the center of the cue ball on a line parallel to the contact line. It helps if you are down low where the cue, cue ball, and object ball are all in your line of sight as you shoot.
Hi, just wanted to say thank you to all that gave advice. The reason I asked about an aim point is; I've been playing for 20 years now. I use to aim at the point of contact on the object ball, then gradually switched to ghost ball and won many games that way. But after changing my stance, approach, aim and timing, none of those previous aiming methods work for me now. So I was just curious if after changing all those things like Mark shows in his videos, if a new aim point is needed by me or just do the old trial and error for another 20 years! Again, thanks to all who shared and will share info. And thank you to Mark Wilson, a Team Mosconi Coach sharing info with us all.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi, just wanted to say thank you to all that gave advice. The reason I asked about an aim point is; I've been playing for 20 years now. I use to aim at the point of contact on the object ball, then gradually switched to ghost ball and won many games that way. But after changing my stance, approach, aim and timing, none of those previous aiming methods work for me now. So I was just curious if after changing all those things like Mark shows in his videos, if a new aim point is needed by me or just do the old trial and error for another 20 years! Again, thanks to all who shared and will share info. And thank you to Mark Wilson, a Team Mosconi Coach sharing info with us all.
Changing things such as your stance will change your perspective a little bit. It did for me what I started getting down on the cue more, apparently where I should be. Try this... Set up ywo object balls Frozen and pointing toward the pocket. Get down in your stance and aim at the first ball. Just before you shoot, have somebody move that ball away, and shoot at the remaining ball where the other ball was sitting. And shoot firm to minimize any Collision induced throw.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By the time you're down on the ball you should be ready to shoot basically wherever the stick is pointed. Prior to this you can shift your gaze to check that the cuts line up but you basically shoot straight ahead of you.

71dewajack

6By the time you're down on the ball you should be ready to shoot basically wherever the stick is pointed. Prior to this you can shift your gaze to check that the cuts line up but you basically shoot straight ahead of you.
After a 20 year hiatus, my game is much better now than ever. All because I changed my stance and created a pre-shot routine. My aiming is taken care of before I get down for the shot. There's still a lot to work on, but those long shots aren't near as intimidating as they used to be.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After a 20 year hiatus, my game is much better now than ever. All because I changed my stance and created a pre-shot routine. My aiming is taken care of before I get down for the shot. There's still a lot to work on, but those long shots aren't near as intimidating as they used to be.
Works a helluva lot better than haphazardly eyeballing everything for sure. You hear a lot of teachers throw out acronyms like PSR and SPF but very little on what the brain is doing; what the shooter thinks, during these steps.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Works a helluva lot better than haphazardly eyeballing everything for sure. You hear a lot of teachers throw out acronyms like PSR and SPF but very little on what the brain is doing; what the shooter thinks, during these steps.
straightline...Once again you show how clueless you are. You don't even know what SPF is about, nor how it is used to create great repeatable PSR's! Anyone who understands SPF knows that connecting the brain to your PSR #1 (there are 3 PSR's) is essential.

Scott Lee

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
straightline...Once again you show how clueless you are. You don't even know what SPF is about, nor how it is used to create great repeatable PSR's! Anyone who understands SPF knows that connecting the brain to your PSR #1 (there are 3 PSR's) is essential.

Scott Lee
BFD your agenda. Whyncha explain what the thought process is or is SPF just a CNC algorithm?