MarkBear / SteveKlapp

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
Mark Bear started making a cue for me early in 2009, using my wood. I promised to be patient, as Mark was a wood connisseur, and I was. Sadly, Mark passed away with only a few weeks to go on the cue. A friend of Mark's, Lee Bledsoe, graciously managed to send to me the almost finished butt, a ring billet and a shaft blank marked 2009. After I tried one of Steve Klapp's superwood shafts, I knew he shared Mark's love of fine wood, and Steve agreed to finish Mark's cue for me.

The cue is 6 points of ebony into brazilian rosewood, holly with brw rings, brw tip on butt, black oil-tanned spanish bull wrap. The cue is right around 19.2 oz, phenolic joint sleeve, 3/8x10 aluminum pin. The browner shaft is Mark's @ 13.25mm and the golden is Steve's @ 13.00 mm. I put a Kamui tip on Mark's shaft after it arrived here, so the glue is mine not Steve's, lol. The fit and finish are perfect. Steve's finish is among the best I've seen, deep and liquid. The ebony into dark rosewood is very subtle, but very beautiful and the rings accent it the way I pictured, and the cue plays the way I wanted it to...slightly forward weighted, Steve's slightly progressive long tapers, lots of feedback and power, lots of confidence from everywhere. The cue is inscribed in the butt "M.Bear/S.Klapp 10/13"

Attachments

• DSCN9458.jpg
    DSCN9458.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 653
  • DSCN9461.jpg
    DSCN9461.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 623
  • DSCN9463.jpg
    DSCN9463.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 639
  • DSCN9464.jpg
    DSCN9464.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 644
  • DSCN9469.jpg
    DSCN9469.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 651
Last edited:

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
I'll have to take better photos, indirect light maybe...the brw is dark, but the ebony points are there and they are perfect! 3 high, 3 low.

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know it's a super long shot, but if you ever think about letting this go, please let me know. I wouldn't let that go unless I really had to (if I were you). It is very unique!

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
I'm keeping it for now, but thank you very much for the compliment. When we first started, Mark asked what other cues I had that I liked. I had an older 4 pt Black Boar at the time and mentioned it, and Mark said he built his 6 pt cues very similar to Tony's 6 pointers at Black Boar, that is around a central dowel running the length of the butt (if I remember correctly). I haven't ever played with a 6 pt BB, but this cue really plays great! :D

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well i hope you enjoy it! i'm frankly surprised by the lack of response on this cue. I think most people like the really bright veneers and pronounced/contrasting colors. I think the dark points are neat. Kind of like a cuemakers way of saying, "ha, ha, I tricked you!" and it makes you do a double take:thumbup:

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
Thanks all for the nice compliments. I agree, galipeau, the cue is very subtle, deep and beautiful in many ways. Sorry the pics don't show that better.