Master the art of aiming and never miss another ball.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I suggest to look up the definition of never cause you are using it in the wrong context.

There’s is a difference in never missing a ball and having nights at the table where you are playing at a higher consistency level. The next night, you could be dogging simple shots for whatever reasons.

There goes never missing a shot.

You are correct. But being able to do it once, one night or one complete match, means it is very likely you can do it again and again. It's the other elements of the game, particularly our mindset, that keeps us from being able to do it all the time. Mastering this is much more difficult, but I don't see it as an impossible goal.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are correct. But being able to do it once, one night or one complete match, means it is very likely you can do it again and again. It's the other elements of the game, particularly our mindset, that keeps us from being able to do it all the time. Mastering this is much more difficult, but I don't see it as an impossible goal.
Wrong and definitely horsefeathers. :shakehead:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Never miss a ball? I never miss the object ball (except for multi-rail kicks sometimes) but not missing the object ball doesn't guarantee the ball was pocketed.

No one plays pool without missing, that's BS.

If you play a person that only shoots at balls sitting in the hole because they know that's the extent of their skill level, you will more than likely win every single game. You might miss a cut shot here or there or a straight in on occassion, but your opponent will never miss because he will only shoot shots that he is 100% confident he can make.

That's an extreme example, but it highlights the theory I'm talking about. Now if that duckshot shooter builds up a more thorough collection of shots he feels confident about, then you might find it very difficult to win against him, or her. And it's very likely, if he's mastered the process of playing within his current window of ability, that he will not miss a single shot every time you play him.

I understand how this might sound like bs. But when it comes to at-fault misses (shots we miss due to our own faults), the reason for missing any particular shot is because we either take it for granted, and therefore fail to give it proper attention, or our mind is not in the game, or we simply don't know the shot well enough to be shooting it in the first place. Odd happenings, like when the ob skids off track or whatever, are not considered at-fault misses. So when I say it's possible to master aiming to such a degree that we never miss a shot, I am excluding fluke occurrences outside of our control. And I realize one must also master a consistent stroke, as well as the mental ability to treat each shot with the proper attention/focus it demands.

Last edited:

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never miss a ball? I never miss the object ball (except for multi-rail kicks sometimes) but not missing the object ball doesn't guarantee the ball was pocketed.
No one plays pool without missing, that's BS.
Something even a Low I.Q. person like me understands. Good post, sir, and definitely a BS chaser.

Last edited:

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are there other ways to describe or define "aiming." Is aiming a singular, stand alone act? Or, is aiming, like a house, built of a wide variety of otherwise unrelated parts? Is a house still a house if it doesn't have a kitchen? Is a house still a house if it doesn't have a kitchen sink? Or a roof? The bigger question, perhaps, is when does a house become a home. Or, when does a home simply become a house again?

Is "aiming" a more or less complicated physical construct, or is it an emotional experience, a function of a healthy, pumping heart? When the house is full of happy kids, does it take on a life of its own. But what if one of the kids has autism?

How do I get all of the disparate, often contradictory components to come together? How about Crazy Cousin Calvin or Bleeding Heart Betty? What is it really like to sit around the Thanksgiving Table, hold hands, and pray? Is this "aiming?"

Or, God forbid, is this the "zone?" Is this where I need to go to be the Master? I don't know.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
One thing is certain... When you think you can whiz any shot in, based on that one time you shocked your opponent with a full table 80° cut shot at the local Moose tournament, you are determined to remain a loser because you're likely in the habit of firing at shots you shouldn't be shooting. We all do it on occassion (some far more often than others) because we like to think we are shot makers. But if you can break this habit you'll miss fewer shots, sell out less often, and win more games.

Knowing the difference between what you can normally do and what you think or hope you can do is a major step toward pocketing balls more consistently.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Are there other ways to describe or define "aiming." Is aiming a singular, stand alone act? Or, is aiming, like a house, built of a wide variety of otherwise unrelated parts? Is a house still a house if it doesn't have a kitchen? Is a house still a house if it doesn't have a kitchen sink? Or a roof? The bigger question, perhaps, is when does a house become a home. Or, when does a home simply become a house again?

Is "aiming" a more or less complicated physical construct, or is it an emotional experience, a function of a healthy, pumping heart? When the house is full of happy kids, does it take on a life of its own. But what if one of the kids has autism?

How do I get all of the disparate, often contradictory components to come together? How about Crazy Cousin Calvin or Bleeding Heart Betty? What is it really like to sit around the Thanksgiving Table, hold hands, and pray? Is this "aiming?"

Or, God forbid, is this the "zone?" Is this where I need to go to be the Master? I don't know.

Forget the house. Take your cue to a pool table. That's where you'll find aiming, which is comprised of physical, visual, mental and emotional elements, all of which must be mastered if your goal is to never miss a shot. And it won't be easy, considering the defeatist mentality that already exists concerning that possibility. Some think "never missing a shot" means you can consistently pocket any shot that comes up on the table, and that's just a rediculous notion. But you can certainly, with consistency, pocket the window of shots you KNOW you can make, as long as you're consistent and disciplined with your stroke, visuals, mental and emotional thoughts.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Forget the house. Take your cue to a pool table. That's where you'll find aiming, which is comprised of physical, visual, mental and emotional elements, all of which must be mastered if your goal is to never miss a shot. And it won't be easy, considering the defeatist mentality that already exists concerning that possibility. Some think "never missing a shot" means you can consistently pocket any shot that comes up on the table, and that's just a rediculous notion. But you can certainly, with consistency, pocket the window of shots you KNOW you can make, as long as you're consistent and disciplined with your stroke, visuals, mental and emotional thoughts.

Forgetting is not an option.

We are all "wired" differently. Were Fats and Willie wired the same? How about Earl and Alex? How did tape and gloves and weights make Earl better?

The object is not to forget, but to harness. On any given day The Warrior must play within that which is real. I must "master" not by forgetting, but by overcoming.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When the house is full of happy kids, does it take on a life of its own. But what if one of the kids has autism?

Are you saying Autistic kids can't be happy? That's a pretty sick assumption, and dead wrong.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Forgetting is not an option.

We are all "wired" differently. Were Fats and Willie wired the same? How about Earl and Alex? How did tape and gloves and weights make Earl better?

The object is not to forget, but to harness. On any given day The Warrior must play within that which is real. I must "master" not by forgetting, but by overcoming.

You should be a motivational speaker. Lol

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There seems to be two or more overlapping threads here
Knowing your limits So that you never shoot a shot you can’t miss will definitely win games and make you consistent And tough to beat

But to me “mastering “ something means you have no restrictions
Because you have overcome the obstacles. You can execute all shots that are humanly possible. Like a virtuoso on a musical instrument.
There will always be some limitations for example an 80 % cut shot is not a hanger for anyone.
If your hands can’t span 14 keys on a piano you may not be able to play Rachmaninov
Even if you are a virtuoso who has “ mastered “ the piano.
The other question about
What is aiming
To me aiming is targeting
The rest of the process to make a ball includes among other things
Visualization of what you want to hit/alignment/stroke/ etc
What happens after the cue ball hits the object ball is a different subject and not part of aiming( to me )

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Do you find my remarks humorous?

Some are funny, like this one...."How about Crazy Cousin Calvin or Bleeding Heart Betty? What is it really like to sit around the Thanksgiving Table, hold hands, and pray? Is this "aiming?"

That's pretty funny. You answer a lot of questions with other questions, more probing questions that most people wouldn't think to ask. That's a good thing, because it primes out-of-the-box thinking. Of course, there's always a possibility that you're just messing me by posing all these questions. :wink:

JackOfNoTrades

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As Old Dutch said to Jimmy Carter..........."There you go again".
Every post you make is about or has something to do with poolology either directly or indirectly.
Why, you say? Because you have that logo advertising your book down at the left hand corner of your page, so people will see it, look you up and buy your product.
Why don't you remove that logo of yours? (it should be in the "For Sale" section anyway)
I sell used cars....is my car lot sign acceptable on all my posts around here? Not likely.

Quick question: is this a “used cars” forum?

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you saying Autistic kids can't be happy? That's a pretty sick assumption, and dead wrong.
Cookieman, some of these people are so far out in left field they don't even realize it themselves.
Beats me. A psychiatrist would have fits trying to understand them.

JackOfNoTrades

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cookieman, some of these people are so far out in left field they don't even realize it themselves.
Beats me. A psychiatrist would have fits trying to understand them.

Who are the people in left field?

Genuine question. I’m new and I’d like to know from an experienced member who these people are so that I know which advice to take with the proverbial “grain of salt.”

Thanks!!!

:cool:

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Genuine question. I’m new and I’d like to know from an experienced member who these people are so that I know which advice to take with the proverbial “grain of salt.”
Thanks!!!
A good starting point for you would be to ignore me completely.
Since you said, in a previous post, that you bought the poolology book..right away that creates a conflict. Seeing as how I don't believe a word of the poolology book concerning aiming pool shots. Which means we are at crossed purposes.
I am a student of another method.
So, as a new member, you can have peace here by not paying attention to anything I post.
Isn't freedom wonderful?
Good wishes to you and have a successful journey in your pool aiming.:thumbup2:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
There seems to be two or more overlapping threads here
Knowing your limits So that you never shoot a shot you can’t miss will definitely win games and make you consistent And tough to beat

But to me “mastering “ something means you have no restrictions
Because you have overcome the obstacles. You can execute all shots that are humanly possible. Like a virtuoso on a musical instrument.
There will always be some limitations for example an 80 % cut shot is not a hanger for anyone.
If your hands can’t span 14 keys on a piano you may not be able to play Rachmaninov
Even if you are a virtuoso who has “ mastered “ the piano.
The other question about
What is aiming
To me aiming is targeting
The rest of the process to make a ball includes among other things
Visualization of what you want to hit/alignment/stroke/ etc
What happens after the cue ball hits the object ball is a different subject and not part of aiming( to me )

I read a great strategy for lowering a handicap in golf.
Can't recall which book I got this from, but the writer pointed out that a lot of bogies stem from long irons or woods/drivers, where the amateur tends to fade or hook the shot, putting themselves into major trouble. He pointed out that most players have a favorite club, one they consistently hit well from the fairway, so instead of trying a 220 yd shot with a club you can't hit well, use the club you can hit well if it can possibly save you a stroke or two every couple of holes.

For me that's my 7 iron, my 160yd club. So I decided to following this guys suggested strategy, and it works. At 300+ yds off the green on a par five, instead of using a 3 or 4 hybrid for 200yds or so, then a sand wedge to hit the green from there, I hit two 7 iron shots instead. My hybrids are inconsistent and get me into the weeds and the sand traps all too often, costing another stroke to get out. But I feel very confident in my ability to nail two sweet 7 irons and stick the green. I never broke 90 until I began doing this.

I know what I really need to do in order to break 80 is to practice with those clubs I find difficult to hit consistently. Maybe someday I will, but golf just isn't important enough to me right now to invest any quality time into improving. And that's the same mentality many pool players have about playing pool, which is why so many continue to play the same way day after day, year after year, missing the same shots over and over.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some are funny, like this one...."How about Crazy Cousin Calvin or Bleeding Heart Betty? What is it really like to sit around the Thanksgiving Table, hold hands, and pray? Is this "aiming?"

That's pretty funny. You answer a lot of questions with other questions, more probing questions that most people wouldn't think to ask. That's a good thing, because it primes out-of-the-box thinking. Of course, there's always a possibility that you're just messing me by posing all these questions. :wink:

I'm not playing. I'm as serious as a heart attack.

In your initial definition, your listed three components. I think there may be more. We have since brought up emotionality. Should we also bring up psychology? Let's say the "house" metaphor speaks to what goes on inside a player who has good-to- excellent command of basic physical shot-making skills. But his youngest son is a Down's baby. I don't care how tough you are, you don't forget that and leave it behind.

"The World is too much with us, late and soon."- Wordsworth

So here we go. It's Friday night. There's a pretty sporty little event going on down at the Choke and Puke. Momma isn't really jake on me going. Stella has a date with a multi-racial middle eastern boy. Bobby can't stop moaning and rocking on his "floor pillow," and the dog should probably be taken to the vet.

If I have any expectation of winning back my entry fee, certain things are going to have to be in place.

I believe that it is important to identify, define and then gain control over, all of the components which go to build a place where my game can flourish.

We started with 3 components, then advanced to 4. How many other things floating around out there in the Bozone must be identified, trained, mastered, and applied before we stroke The Golden Fleece?

1000 hours? 5000 hours? Videos? Systems? Voodoo?

I'm as serious as Lung Cancer.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member

Thanks!!!

Take the advice that makes sense to you.

Mastering aiming in it's entirety, much like mastering tennis or golf or chess or any other multifaceted skill, involves mastering every scenario that could possibly arise, individually. Only then can you say you have mastered the entire skill completely. But there's a major difference between mastering tennis (for example) and mastering the art of aiming pool shots.

With tennis you have no choice but to face whatever scenario your opponent sends your way. If it happens to be a particular shot you haven't quite mastered, you are likely to lose the point right there. You have no choice other than to try your best with whatever experience you can muster up in that fraction of a second.

When aiming pool shots you have a choice of whether or not you want to shoot any particular shot. Basically you can choose to play or pass in accordance with your confidence level on the shot. If it's a shot you know you've mastered, then you shoot. If it's s shot you aren't comfortable with then you look for other options that will allow you the best opportunity to win. As Buddy Hall would put it, ask yourself this: "How do I win from here." If you decide your best option is to go for it, then give it your best effort with complete confidence that the ob is going to hit the pocket and you're going to get out. If it works, great! But keep in my that you got lucky that time, and you need to work on this shot so when it comes up again (and it will) you won't be sweating it.