Masters, triangle chalk becoming outdated

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm ALL for product improvement, but too many folks think it makes up for or adds to skill.
I'm pretty sure there's been exactly zero people here that have claimed it makes them better players. We use it because it's massively less messy, while being as good as or better than Master at being chalk. The end.

Good luck fighting those windmills though.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Having read, some of the long running thread on taom chalk.

I personally love the old masters stuff. I know SVB uses it. And ronnie and judd, still use the green triangle In snooker.
My question is: how many like myself still use it? Or have you moved over to the modern stuff?
A majority of pool players including all of the recreational players are not going pay $20+ for one piece of chalk when Master chalk is provided free at the pool room or you can buy a gross box of 144 pieces of Master chalk for that same $20.

That said, I play with Taom V10 and I do see more and more of our serious pool players now using their personal chalk and not having a problem paying the $ price for the premium chalk.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
A majority of pool players including all of the recreational players are not going pay $20+ for one piece of chalk when Master chalk is provided free at the pool room or you can buy a gross box of 144 pieces of Master chalk for that same $20.

That said, I play with Taom V10 and I do see more and more of our serious pool players now using their personal chalk and not having a problem paying the $ price for the premium chalk.

Master is $20.00 a gross. The market for boutique chalk is small.

I have one round of V-10, I am scared to loose.😶‍🌫️

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I actually see quite a few not so good players using high end chalk, as well as $800 cues, etc.. that are pretty much out of their skill set to control or understand the differences between something way cheaper. IMHO you need a minimum skillset to be able to take advantage of and understand the differences between the equipment. A beginner won't know, won't care and won't be able to adjust to say different cloth or rails, but at an A level and higher those differences can be enough to win or lose a match if you can understand them and shoot accordingly.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Pros, who get if for free/ are paid to use it, you mean those guys?
Toam is nice/ clean. Not knocking it. Shape of it is crap.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I actually see quite a few not so good players using high end chalk, as well as $800 cues, etc.. that are pretty much out of their skill set to control or understand the differences between something way cheaper. IMHO you need a minimum skillset to be able to take advantage of and understand the differences between the equipment. A beginner won't know, won't care and won't be able to adjust to say different cloth or rails, but at an A level and higher those differences can be enough to win or lose a match if you can understand them and shoot accordingly.
Please explain the advantage of an $800 cue vs. a Players sneaky Pete as far as playability.
Masters vs. Toam advantage as far as playability?
I've been playing long enough to know there is none.

Zerksies

Please explain the advantage of an $800 cue vs. a Players sneaky Pete as far as playability.
Masters vs. Toam
Applies smoother and is cleaner on the table. I can go probably close to 20 shots without rechalking on Taom, Maybe 6-8 shots with master.

Players SP vs $800
An $800 cue is more then likely going to have a low deflection shaft and if you need me to explain the benefits of a LD shaft you don't know cue playability

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
About 11 years ago, a purchased a carton (25 boxes - 50 pieces) of Blue Diamond Chalk on eBay for under $90.
I’ll never have to buy chalk again and I still have 8 boxes (16 pieces) remaining. Along the way, I acquired boxes
of premium grade chalks but always returned to using BD. It plays clean and since I chalk lightly every shot, it
plays just as well as chalk costing $20-$25 a cube. I just can’t see paying that much for any chalk when there
are so many other alternative brands. Sure BD also costs more than say Masters but it’s a lot more reasonably
priced than the brands being highly touted. When a single piece of chalk costs as much, or even more, as you
spend for a tip and your cue’s tip is way more important than any chalk brand you use, something seems wacky.
Nonetheless, as long as you don’t lose your premium chalk & chalk properly, then buying a couple pieces a year
of Taom or some other brand seems reasonable because if that makes you happier, then it’s all that really matters.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Masters vs. Toam
Applies smoother and is cleaner on the table. I can go probably close to 20 shots without rechalking on Taom, Maybe 6-8 shots with master.

Players SP vs $800
An $800 cue is more then likely going to have a low deflection shaft and if you need me to explain the benefits of a LD shaft you don't know cue playability
What does how many times you chalk have to do with the price of rice?
Unless you don't keep your equipment clean regularly, does that matter?
Every cue has some amount of deflection that needs to be learned.

Zerksies

What does how many times you chalk have to do with the price of rice?
Unless you don't keep your equipment clean regularly, does that matter?
Every cue has some amount of deflection that needs to be learned.
Your point is moot. You have not backed up anything with facts

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Biggest advantage of Taom is keeping the pool table and the cue ball clean. The cue ball staying clean is a playability factor, as it results in less skids.

The other advantage is a cube seems to last forever, and really no need to chalk up between every shot, although if you’re a player that has been playing for many years, you’ll do it anyway.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Biggest advantage of Taom is keeping the pool table and the cue ball clean. The cue ball staying clean is a playability factor, as it results in less skids.

The other advantage is a cube seems to last forever, and really no need to chalk up between every shot, although if you’re a player that has been playing for many years, you’ll do it anyway.
Totally agree with the cleanliness. It is night and day when you change your home table cloth and see much less dust. I usually wipe the cueball before I break, clean equipment after sets.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I use whatever the house has in this case blue Master. Yeah its a little dirty but i haven't had or seen a skid in i don't know how long. I bought some Magic when it first came out and also tried BD. Both are a little cleaner than Master but its nothing huge. I don't think i'm a under or over chalker and Master works fine. One thing i don't like is the shape of Taom, the round just doesn't feel right at all to me.

Zerksies

I use whatever the house has in this case blue Master. Yeah its a little dirty but i haven't had or seen a skid in i don't know how long. I bought some Magic when it first came out and also tried BD. Both are a little cleaner than Master but its nothing huge. I don't think i'm a under or over chalker and Master works fine. One thing i don't like is the shape of Taom, the round just doesn't feel right at all to me.
I wouldn't even looked at other chalk if the crappy pool hall that i started frequenting didn't have shitty quality overused master chalk. It's $20 and I've spent more money on dumber things. I was seeing all this stuff and said I'd give it a shot. Kamui was wasn't as clean as advertised and i needed to chalk more then advertised. Taom was my second choice. It goes on smoother then masters, you get more hits per swipe. And the round shape i did get use too.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Masters vs. Toam

Players SP vs $800
A shaft doesn't make balls though the guy using it does, a sneaky Pete big maple shaft in the hands of a road player will run over most everyone in the room more times than not

Cue Alchemist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Players SP vs $800
Firstly I can't believe my harmless thread about chalk has hit 18 pages.
As for the expensive vs basic players cue. And the Same for LD shafts.I don't need facts. Its based on experience. It really doesn't matter.
As couldnthink01 said. If you use something for long enough. Deflection is something you get use too.no matter if it's a little or a lot.
I agree with you about the chalk. Nothing wrong with masters. Or any of the others.
I recently tried some predator and diamond. Didn't really see much difference. Just a bit finer in texture.

Cuedup

While true, I can't help but think that when two lights out players meet each would prefer to play with the cue they're most familiar with.