Matchroom 2023 UK Open (nineball), 30May-4June, Winner $30K

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i think the majority prefers faster pace, and shot clock is coming up in next round. imo they have handled it well this year by putting fast players on the main tv table. table 2 has been slower, which also caused the promised oi-wilson match to be moved to another table

L.S. Dennis

These guys are all robots....that's the European model.
People want action.
People want stories.

This is mostly just guys hitting balls.
I tend to agree, I may watch some high lites at best but nothing beyond that. Modern day nine ball has become too "robotic , boring and squeaky clean"! A little controversy, some back story of the players and some good rivalries are needed. The last good rivalry was Efren and Earl. I think a little of Keath McCready is needed here,

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only remaining snooker player Gary Wilson upsets Naoyuki Oi 10-6. But that match must be slowest started few hours ago and is a last 64 match. Few last 32 matches are finished already

Table 2
Last 32 (Race to 10)
Ko Pin Yi v Aleksa Pecelj

BlueRaider

Registered
Filler is just so freakishly good. He passes the "eye test" for best in the world far more than Gorst to me. Gorst is extremely polished, of course, but I think he lacks the intense aggression and supreme confidence that Filler has.

IMO Filler's aggressive style of play, coupled with his tendency to play perfect pool for long stretches, can completely demoralize opponents.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only remaining snooker player Gary Wilson upsets Naoyuki Oi 10-6. But that match must be slowest started few hours ago and is a last 64 match. Few last 32 matches are finished already

Table 2
Last 32 (Race to 10)
Ko Pin Yi v Aleksa Pecelj

it was delayed because of the gorst - ko match. the schedule was to play it on table 2.

...and as usual melling finds away to make an easy runout difficult and botch the rack. 8-7 to feijen

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Filler is just so freakishly good. He passes the "eye test" for best in the world far more than Gorst to me. Gorst is extremely polished, of course, but I think he lacks the intense aggression and supreme confidence that Filler has.

IMO Filler's aggressive style of play, coupled with his tendency to play perfect pool for long stretches, can completely demoralize opponents.

Agree. Though right now, FSR has the edge over Filler in performance in majors cos of better break, better game management, decision making, mental game though he may slump in next 12 months. :LOL: Of cos in terms of pure natural talent , technical ability Filler has edge over FSR but winning majors is more than just talent, technical ability- there are non-technical aspects game management, mental game.
FSR sudden rise in the past 1.5 year has been phenomenal for relatively old player in early 30s, someone who was a junior World Champion lurking high in Fargorate rankings for decade or so but never won anything major then suddenly out of nowhere won a slew of majors.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

well, he's a more natural talent and that eerie accuracy combined with his pace must be demoralizing. another point (maybe irrelevant) is that he's not socializing very much with his opponents. at least he used to be that way. stephen hendry was that way in his heyday, and it served to maintain a fierce competetiveness.

Gatz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Every time one of these guys has an amazing match their the best players in the world currently lol

BlueRaider

Registered
Every time one of these guys has an amazing match their the best players in the world currently lol
I've thought Filler was on another level for a long time. He's like a villain in a horror movie. Even when he looks down and out, he can still claw his way back to victory under conditions where many other top players fold. And when he's rolling, he tends to absolutely crush opponents to the point where they can't claw their way back.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Agree. Though right now, FSR has the edge over Filler in performance in majors cos of better break, better game management, decision making, mental game though he may slump in next 12 months. :LOL: Of cos in terms of pure natural talent , technical ability Filler has edge over FSR but winning majors is more than just talent, technical ability- there are non-technical aspects game management, mental game.
FSR sudden rise in the past 1.5 year has been phenomenal for relatively old player in early 30s, someone who was a junior World Champion lurking high in Fargorate rankings for decade or so but never won anything major then suddenly out of nowhere won a slew of majors.
Filler is a once in a generation like talent (alla Ronnie O'). I suspect some of his slump came from his equipment change. Tough to be a 100% when you have a question mark in your hands, He went back and forth between his Z and GF. When you make your living at the game this is not done for giggles.

I met him and Pia at Griffs in Las Vegas this year. I asked him how he liked his Pred CF equipment and he smiled and said "it's the best". I pushed him a little harder and he admitted that it took him some time to really dial it in. Now he seems to be back to old form. Time will tell.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
well, he's a more natural talent and that eerie accuracy combined with his pace must be demoralizing. another point (maybe irrelevant) is that he's not socializing very much with his opponents. at least he used to be that way. stephen hendry was that way in his heyday, and it served to maintain a fierce competetiveness.
Very true. When a fast player runs out on you, it looks like it was easy -which can be intimidating.
When a slow player runs out on me, I get angry that I just waited 10 minutes for them to struggle to clear the table.
imo

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
melling is on the hill and fluke snookered niels. can chris still find a way to botch this?

he did botch that rack but niels missed the 8 ball in the decider, and chris made a clutch long cut shot on the 8 to perfect position and won