Matchroom changing break rules for European Open (Aug 9-14 Germany)

zkzkzk

Old: winner breaks, 1 on the spot, no restrictions except forceful break
New: winner breaks, 9 on the spot, with a break box and needs to be forceful

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-06-22 at 14.34.50.png
    Screenshot 2022-06-22 at 14.34.50.png
    334.3 KB · Views: 240

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
It's interesting and they are giving the opinions of many a chance, which is pretty big all things considered.
You can't form an educated opinion without some change. At least its still 9-ball which is favored. As long as
everyone is playing the same rules I don't see the problem except the stringing of racks might be affected. I
think its a great move. I wonder how many rack mechanics can pot the 9 on the break and what will be the rule?

Thoughts?

sammylane12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thoughts?
It seems like the nine on the spot has been tried before many times. Supposed to keep the wing ball from flying in, right? Don`t use plastic template racks. It always seemed like a gimmick to me and I am not a fan.

Last edited:

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are these not the same rules Mike Zuglan and his tour have been using? If it is, I have no problem with it.

If you ask me, they should just play express ten ball with a break box.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I agree that it's hokey but the alternative seems to be the 3-point rule. Which do you like less? "Fast enough" seems to work in practice.

Wait a minute, only 50 cent pieces can be used for keeping score. Everyone know that! Pennies just aren't good enough. :unsure:

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree that it's hokey but the alternative seems to be the 3-point rule. Which do you like less? "Fast enough" seems to work in practice.
They are both hokey, and unbecoming of a professional sport. Not sure what the answer is but it's neither of these.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They are both hokey, and unbecoming of a professional sport. Not sure what the answer is but it's neither of these.
How about just let them break however they want? Whether it be a John Daly type smash, or a Corey deuel soft break. Pool players need to grow up and pull their pink panties out of the crack of their ass and act like men... Instead of the whiny little bitches a lot of them are.

Yep... its going to be one of those days.

Edit... As long as there is no pattern racking going on! But that has been a rule for a long time.

Last edited:

sammylane12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about just let them break however they want? Whether it be a John Daly type smash, or a Corey deuel soft break. Pool players need to grow up and pull their pink panties out of the crack of their ass and act like men... Instead of the whiny little bitches a lot of them are.

This guy is on to something. "How about just let them break however they want?" I like it.

Jack Fate

Is it the players or the European promoters needing to modify the rules ?

I say 2001 us open rules are the most creative and interesting as the rules were just simple.

I see no difference between all the constant rule variations & changing the ball colors, it’s all just entitlement of the elite few, mostly Europeans

Last edited:

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Edit... As long as there is no pattern racking going on! But that has been a rule for a long time.

I agree, let them break how they like. Although I have no idea what pink or any other color panties have to do with anything, as that's a completely unrelated subject to the break. I also don't understand what "act like men" means. That is a very strange expression, pool players can be male or female and can have a myriad of outlooks.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree, let them break how they like. Although I have no idea what pink or any other color panties have to do with anything, as that's a completely unrelated subject to the break. I also don't understand what "act like men" means. That is a very strange expression, pool players can be male or female and can have a myriad of outlooks.
Haha! 🤣 I got it! That's a good one!

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i never cared for the break box. 9-ball on the spot is good, it will take more effort and practice than what a random snooker player can muster out of the gate. uk open showed the need for this very clearly.

you guys talking about allowing soft breaks must have slept under a rock the last decades. corey deuel 2001? wow, fresh reference. did you also watch the world championships up to and including 2007? those years of perfecting the soft break? well, let's just say they didn't do american players any good, lol

pat fleming addressed the issue and rightfully so, but the three point rule has it's flaws, like the odd forceful successful break where two balls doesn't pass the kitchen. i would like to see a speed gun much rather than letting it be ref judgement.

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
but the three point rule has it's flaws, like the odd forceful successful break where two balls doesn't pass the kitchen.
If the ref gets to decide what a "forceful" break is under the new breaking rule, then under the three point rule the ref could be allowed to declare a break that doesn't satisfy the three point rule as "forceful" and hence a legal break. Three points would automatically be a legal break, and less than three points would be the ref's call.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i never cared for the break box. 9-ball on the spot is good, it will take more effort and practice than what a random snooker player can muster out of the gate. uk open showed the need for this very clearly.

you guys talking about allowing soft breaks must have slept under a rock the last decades. corey deuel 2001? wow, fresh reference. did you also watch the world championships up to and including 2007? those years of perfecting the soft break? well, let's just say they didn't do american players any good, lol

pat fleming addressed the issue and rightfully so, but the three point rule has it's flaws, like the odd forceful successful break where two balls doesn't pass the kitchen. i would like to see a speed gun much rather than letting it be ref judgement.
I only mentioned Corey deuel because he's most famous for it. And if pattern racking isn't allowed or the rules actually enforced, the soft break doesnt give that much advantage.

And to add to that, if you feel disadvantaged by someone using a soft break, maybe you should learn to do it too.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Professional pool is both a show and a competition. Requiring a 'forceful' break is not a particularly high bar for the player to meet and seems like a decent way to provide a good show for the watchers.