Matchroom changing break rules for European Open (Aug 9-14 Germany)

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They threw me out of finishing school,

If you want class, go to a cigar forum or something…..

And beyond that-tie sticking your classy nose where it don’t belong as you don’t know the back story.

Relax

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If your a man and don’t know how to act like one, that’s pathetic. If your a female then I understand your problem. I’m a man and I don’t know how to act female.
One of the things (a bonus, if you like) I love about pool is that the playing community is way ahead of the curve. I'm not sure where you are going here with "acting" a certain way. I'd rather you just acted like yourself without calling others pathetic. You have called yourself out when you could have just talked about pòol.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the things (a bonus, if you like) I love about pool is that the playing community is way ahead of the curve. I'm not sure where you are going here with "acting" a certain way. I'd rather you just acted like yourself without calling others pathetic. You have called yourself out when you could have just talked about pòol.
I don’t even play pool anymore.

That’s so far in the past, it’s all over with for me.

I hope your game improves and you enjoy playing. It’s a great game and full of great people in many different ways.

All the best
Fatboy 🍻

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Old: winner breaks, 1 on the spot, no restrictions except forceful break
New: winner breaks, 9 on the spot, with a break box and needs to be forceful

Thoughts?

This sounds good except that they're going to let the referees determine if a break was forceful enough or not.
There has to be some objective measurement going on here. This is too loose.
Also really like having a smaller break box. Cueball behind the first diamond, not second, would be awesome.

13ball

Thoughts?
So long as they leave the cue ball white and the nine ball white with a yellow stripe, I’m not going to rock the boat….

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about a new break box?

View attachment 647527
Why not just break from a predetermine spot marked behind the line. As far as the “speed” goes just se up a ire the break to meet or exceed a certain amount of decibels.

My only other comment is all of the rules like break box and speed are a lot of BS rules. I have been playing the game for 60 years. When I started you broke and you shot. You didn’t call $#it. If you made the 9 on the break or with slop you won. League play has changed all of this for the worse. Call this. Call that. The wussification of pool.

Last edited:

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Why not just break from a predetermine spot marked behind the line. As far as the “speed” goes just se up a ire the break to meet or exceed a certain amount of decibels.

My only other comment is all of the rules like break box and speed are a lot of BS rules. I have been playing the game for 60 years. When I started you broke and you shot. You didn’t call $#it. If you made the 9 on the break or with slop you won. League play has changed all of this for the worse. Call this. Call that. The wussification of pool.
You also played on slow cloth, which required a very firm break to make anything, and resulted in a much more random layout, and required more precise position a lot of the time. And better shot making strokes.

The break rules get changed, because the game is a lot easier on fast cloth.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For those who think the break at nine ball has only been a problem recently, notice the comments at the start of this video from 1996:

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
Well I’m all for the rule change. For 1, I break from the box all the time. With the 1 on the spot if a ball doesn’t fall, it’s hit or miss on 3-point rule for me. That’s at full force on a 9footer with 860hr. And my full force is as hard or harder than most. The CB and a 2nd pass probably 90-95% of the time. I usually end up with 1-2 right at the headstring when not satisfying the rule. They’d pass with 9 on the spot.

I’d kind of mentioned the “with force” thing previously in a post. It wouldn’t be very hard to get a minimum mph that doesn’t pass. What maybe 10mph minimum. Dr Dave classified a power shot as 7-10mph and a huge break at 35mph. There are 25mph to choose from that would satisfy the break rule. So I’m pretty sure “with force” would probably have to exceed 10mph. Or maybe 15

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Thoughts?
Break from the Head Spot, no more problems.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those who think the break at nine ball has only been a problem recently, notice the comments at the start of this video from 1996:

here's another, more problematic, example:

of course, the preceding year it was won by one of the most refined soft breaks, with ronnie alcano taking the trophy. it seems to me that some of the people arguing the case for no break rules simply slept those years or haven't bothered to watch it on youtube.