Matchroom Hotels requirements

Zerksies

I'm looking at playing in the US open this year in September. I get a notification from matchroom this morning about registering. I go about registering and i get a notification about requiring me to stay at Harrah's for the duration of the event. What a complete crock of crap. I live 30 minutes away. I'd rather sleep in my own bed. I'd rater not pay another $750 for the hotel and that didn't include the taxes or resort fees.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm looking at playing in the US open this year in September. I get a notification from matchroom this morning about registering. I go about registering and i get a notification about requiring me to stay at Harrah's for the duration of the event. What a complete crock of crap. I live 30 minutes away. I'd rather sleep in my own bed. I'd rater not pay another $750 for the hotel and that didn't include the taxes or resort fees.
They did it last yr too. I'm sure some got around it. I can sorta see their point in that the players are at the venue but its still a gaffy move on their part. I'm sure part of their deal with the venue is having all the players stay there. Contacted MR yet?

Zerksies

They did it last yr too. I'm sure some got around it. I can sorta see their point in that the players are at the venue but its still a gaffy move on their part. I'm sure part of their deal with the venue is having all the players stay there. Contacted MR yet?
D78A5AE2-6B32-4D73-A53A-322E15761054.png

It’s weird right now it looks like it’s making me stay from the 20th to the 1st. But they have the event from the 23rd to the 30th. And I’m only 30 minutes away. I did contact them, I’m just waiting for a reply.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
I think y'all are hopelessly lost if you put up with this kind of #*&). Sad commentary on what "pool players" are becoming,

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think y'all are hopelessly lost if you put up with this kind of #*&). Sad commentary on what "pool players" are becoming,
Kinda see your point but minus most of the drama. They filled this event in record time last yr. 256 players in like 2hrs so i guess players aren't too concerned.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing we do not know is if there is any compensation by the hotel. If there is, then it would be part of the deal.

APA Operator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's all part of the deal the event promoter makes with the event venue. In their contract with the property they likely have a clause that they will guarantee a certain number of rooms per night, and this is how they choose to do it. If they don't meet a certain percentage of their guarantee, the charges from the venue are much higher. In the old days the contracts also had such clauses, but they were often overlooked because people spent more money once they got there.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's all part of the deal the event promoter makes with the event venue. In their contract with the property they likely have a clause that they will guarantee a certain number of rooms per night, and this is how they choose to do it. If they don't meet a certain percentage of their guarantee, the charges from the venue are much higher. In the old days the contracts also had such clauses, but they were often overlooked because people spent more money once they got there.

maybe people gamble less now?

kingwang

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I looked through the player agreement and it looks like there's an exemption for locals:
It is an entry requirement that all Players must stay on-site at the Harrah’s Resort, Atlantic City to
participate in the Event, unless they live locally in Atlantic City and do not require accommodation for
the Event.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Don't think Alan Hopkins had to get a room two yrs ago. I heard he lived 12 miles away.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
This is a gaffe that's been goin' on since?

They should give the players a dbl room for $140 a night.
Yep, the two step with the NJ airport, then getting to the venue Costs.
Helps to have a roomie.