Maybe this is the break that pool needs. Cornhole cheating...

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member

A cheating scandal dubbed "BagGate" has sent shock waves across the professional cornhole world.

The controversy sparked in August at the 2022 American Cornhole League World Championships in South Carolina.

Devon Harbaugh filed a formal complaint against cornhole players Mark Richards and Philip Lopez, claiming the No. 1 ranked doubles team used illegal beanbags.

"I thought the bags were too thin, Harbaugh asserted.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM

Mark Richards has his picture taken after winning the final match of the American Cornhole League Pro Singles World Championship finals at the Rock Hill Sports and Event Center in Rock Hill, South Carolina, Aug. 6, 2022.

Mark Richards has his picture taken after winning the final match of the American Cornhole League Pro Singles World Championship finals at the Rock Hill Sports and Event Center in Rock Hill, South Carolina, Aug. 6, 2022. (Photo by Logan Cyrus for The Washington Post via Getty Images)
A $15,000 purse was on the line in the game where competitors toss bags filled with resin beads into a hole on slanted boards, which are approximately 27 feet apart.

After the complaint was lodged, officials performed a bag inspection. However, Lopez and Richards also wanted their opponents' bags to be inspected as well. Turns out none of the players competing were using regulation size bags.

AMERICAN CHESS SENSATION ACCUSED OF CHEATING DOZENS OF MORE TIMES THAN PREVIOUSLY ADMITTED: REPORT

Officials ultimately determined the violations were not intentional and allowed the content to continue.

An ACL spokesperson allude to the fact that some form of cheating may have taken place. "It’s possible, but I’m pretty confident that it wasn’t intentional," spokesman Trey Ryder said.

Meanwhile, Lopez claimed, "I don’t know how they became illegal-sized. We did not boil the bags."

The infamous incident, now known as "BagGate," has sparked conversations about implementing more strict regulations to prevent the use of non-complaint bags.

"I think it’s funny that anyone believed it would be all friendships and rose petals forever in cornhole," wrote one commenter on the Addicted to Cornhole Facebook page, which has 85,000 members. "Now the dirty underbelly is being exposed."

Matt Guy (center) makes his throw against Mark Richards (right) during the final match of the American Cornhole League Pro Singles World Championship finals at the Rock Hill Sports and Event Center in Rock Hill, South Carolina, Aug. 6, 2022. Richards eventually get the better of Guy, taking top honors in the final competition.

Matt Guy (center) makes his throw against Mark Richards (right) during the final match of the American Cornhole League Pro Singles World Championship finals at the Rock Hill Sports and Event Center in Rock Hill, South Carolina, Aug. 6, 2022. Richards eventually get the better of Guy, taking top honors in the final competition. (Photo by Logan Cyrus for The Washington Post via Getty Images)
Cornhole is a fast-growing sport and has attracted big-name sponsors.

The ACL boasts about 155,000 members, up from 125,000 in 2021, according to a report from the Wall Street Journal. Top ACL players can earn around $250,000 from annual winnings, endorsements and sponsorship agreements.

A lighter or thinner bag does allow for a competitive advantage. Some players have been suspected of participating in a variety of methods to create the lighter bags.

2022 WORLD SERIES: ASTROS' FRAMBER VALDEZ BRUSHES OFF ALLEGATIONS HE USED STICKY SUBSTANCES IN GAME 2 WIN

ACL regulations stipulate cornhole bags must be six by six inches when laying on a flat surface. The bags weight is expected to be 16 ounces.

The league now plans to implement more regulations and structures into the sport.

Jamie Graham tosses a bag during his semi-final match with Mark Richards during the American Cornhole League Pro Singles World Championship finals at the Rock Hill Sports and Event Center in Rock Hill, South Carolina, Aug. 6, 2022. Graham, who was ranked third going into the competition would not move on past the semi-finals after being beaten by Richards.

Jamie Graham tosses a bag during his semi-final match with Mark Richards during the American Cornhole League Pro Singles World Championship finals at the Rock Hill Sports and Event Center in Rock Hill, South Carolina, Aug. 6, 2022. Graham, who was ranked third going into the competition would not move on past the semi-finals after being beaten by Richards. (Photo by Logan Cyrus for The Washington Post via Getty Images)
The ACL announced its intention to check bags at random at tournaments. Ryder noted that the league is even "exploring infrastructure for automated bag testing."

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

The American Cornhole Association is known as the Official Governing Body of Cornhole. ACA officials have previously compared the growth of the sport to that of pickleball.

Team rules and regulations are expected to be updated by the end of the year, according to the ACA.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe pool needs an arena like Cornhole ha , to spark enthusiasm. The stands at Derby City, as I remember, are better than nothing, but a smaller arena, for say a hundred spectators, would be better. NOTE; I haven't been to a Tournament in several years. OR maybe 3 arena's would allow more to be closer to the action.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well it not the first time some person in sports cheated. Cheating scandals are part of both armature & pro sports.

Remember recently NFL had problems with. UNDER INFLATED FOOTBALLS.

Guy Manges

Registered

A cheating scandal dubbed "BagGate" has sent shock waves across the professional cornhole world.

The controversy sparked in August at the 2022 American Cornhole League World Championships in South Carolina.

Devon Harbaugh filed a formal complaint against cornhole players Mark Richards and Philip Lopez, claiming the No. 1 ranked doubles team used illegal beanbags.

"I thought the bags were too thin, Harbaugh asserted.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM

Mark Richards has his picture taken after winning the final match of the American Cornhole League Pro Singles World Championship finals at the Rock Hill Sports and Event Center in Rock Hill, South Carolina, Aug. 6, 2022.

Mark Richards has his picture taken after winning the final match of the American Cornhole League Pro Singles World Championship finals at the Rock Hill Sports and Event Center in Rock Hill, South Carolina, Aug. 6, 2022. (Photo by Logan Cyrus for The Washington Post via Getty Images)
A $15,000 purse was on the line in the game where competitors toss bags filled with resin beads into a hole on slanted boards, which are approximately 27 feet apart.

After the complaint was lodged, officials performed a bag inspection. However, Lopez and Richards also wanted their opponents' bags to be inspected as well. Turns out none of the players competing were using regulation size bags.

AMERICAN CHESS SENSATION ACCUSED OF CHEATING DOZENS OF MORE TIMES THAN PREVIOUSLY ADMITTED: REPORT

Officials ultimately determined the violations were not intentional and allowed the content to continue.

An ACL spokesperson allude to the fact that some form of cheating may have taken place. "It’s possible, but I’m pretty confident that it wasn’t intentional," spokesman Trey Ryder said.

Meanwhile, Lopez claimed, "I don’t know how they became illegal-sized. We did not boil the bags."

The infamous incident, now known as "BagGate," has sparked conversations about implementing more strict regulations to prevent the use of non-complaint bags.

"I think it’s funny that anyone believed it would be all friendships and rose petals forever in cornhole," wrote one commenter on the Addicted to Cornhole Facebook page, which has 85,000 members. "Now the dirty underbelly is being exposed."

Matt Guy (center) makes his throw against Mark Richards (right) during the final match of the American Cornhole League Pro Singles World Championship finals at the Rock Hill Sports and Event Center in Rock Hill, South Carolina, Aug. 6, 2022. Richards eventually get the better of Guy, taking top honors in the final competition.

Matt Guy (center) makes his throw against Mark Richards (right) during the final match of the American Cornhole League Pro Singles World Championship finals at the Rock Hill Sports and Event Center in Rock Hill, South Carolina, Aug. 6, 2022. Richards eventually get the better of Guy, taking top honors in the final competition. (Photo by Logan Cyrus for The Washington Post via Getty Images)
Cornhole is a fast-growing sport and has attracted big-name sponsors.

The ACL boasts about 155,000 members, up from 125,000 in 2021, according to a report from the Wall Street Journal. Top ACL players can earn around $250,000 from annual winnings, endorsements and sponsorship agreements.

A lighter or thinner bag does allow for a competitive advantage. Some players have been suspected of participating in a variety of methods to create the lighter bags.

2022 WORLD SERIES: ASTROS' FRAMBER VALDEZ BRUSHES OFF ALLEGATIONS HE USED STICKY SUBSTANCES IN GAME 2 WIN

ACL regulations stipulate cornhole bags must be six by six inches when laying on a flat surface. The bags weight is expected to be 16 ounces.

The league now plans to implement more regulations and structures into the sport.

Jamie Graham tosses a bag during his semi-final match with Mark Richards during the American Cornhole League Pro Singles World Championship finals at the Rock Hill Sports and Event Center in Rock Hill, South Carolina, Aug. 6, 2022. Graham, who was ranked third going into the competition would not move on past the semi-finals after being beaten by Richards.

Jamie Graham tosses a bag during his semi-final match with Mark Richards during the American Cornhole League Pro Singles World Championship finals at the Rock Hill Sports and Event Center in Rock Hill, South Carolina, Aug. 6, 2022. Graham, who was ranked third going into the competition would not move on past the semi-finals after being beaten by Richards. (Photo by Logan Cyrus for The Washington Post via Getty Images)
The ACL announced its intention to check bags at random at tournaments. Ryder noted that the league is even "exploring infrastructure for automated bag testing."

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

The American Cornhole Association is known as the Official Governing Body of Cornhole. ACA officials have previously compared the growth of the sport to that of pickleball.

Team rules and regulations are expected to be updated by the end of the year, according to the ACA.
Must eat dozens of tortillas daily to get physically prepared = Kornhole...

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These kinds of things make TV folks very unhappy if it happens in a sport or activity that was featured as part of their regular programming. They are risk averse anyway. This is bad news for all Niche Sports.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I cant read these related stories without thinking its some kind of joke, American Cornhole Organization???? I mean c'mon, are you serious? I would think they could have picked a better name than Cornhole.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I cant read these related stories without thinking its some kind of joke, American Cornhole Organization???? I mean c'mon, are you serious? I would think they could have picked a better name than Cornhole.
Cornhole itself sounds pretty low brow as a game , seems like a good fit to me

moneytalks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL! The TV coverage of this stupid game blows my mind. I'd prefer televised Monopoly. To watch the Mosconi cup I have to give $20 to the Europeans.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I remember a completely different meaning for cornhole when I was a boy, and it wasn't a nice thing to say. Use that word in prison and you might become very popular fast. When I first heard about this "sport" I thought it was a joke of some kind. Now that I've seen it I know it's a joke and a couple of million people don't get it yet. Of course another huckster fooled about seventy million people, so there's that.

By the way speaking of hucksters, I saw Don Mackey at the tournament. Kim Davenport and Reed Pierce were pimping for him. They were making their appeal to the younger players who weren't around in the 1990's when Mackey was the commissioner of the PBT. Some of us haven't forgotten what happened. Why he didn't take up Cornhole I have no idea. That would be a perfect fit for him.

ACL

If you really want to lose your mind, quidditch (now known as quadball because of licensing) is now a sport with NCAA championships, has two USOC national teams, a world cup and is on the path to become an Olympic sport.

Let that sink in...

And for the record, I only know this because it was on ESPN 8 'The Ocho' back in August.