McDermott Defy Carbon Shaft Issues

PracticeChampion

I recently bought a defy and also had to re-tap the threads too, now there's something (very small) inside that rattles around making a ting sound on the shot ☹️

It hits great though, very solid hit

rostym

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Just played with it once for 3 or 4 hours. Didn't play well, especially at first, although I was in a different hall than normal and the table had much tighter/smaller pockets. Towards the end of the session I was playing a lot better, although I'm not sure if it was adjusting to the table or the shaft. One thing I am initially disappointed in was I didn't see any increase in follow or draw with the same strength stroke. If anything, I think the draw was a bit less. However, like I said, I was playing in a different place on very different tables.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just played with it once for 3 or 4 hours. Didn't play well, especially at first, although I was in a different hall than normal and the table had much tighter/smaller pockets. Towards the end of the session I was playing a lot better, although I'm not sure if it was adjusting to the table or the shaft. One thing I am initially disappointed in was I didn't see any increase in follow or draw with the same strength stroke. If anything, I think the draw was a bit less. However, like I said, I was playing in a different place on very different tables.
CF shaft will not give you more draw/follow.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CF shaft will not give you more draw/follow.
Then it must be mind over matter.

Just last Sunday, my buddy was complaining that his Cuetec cue would not draw.

After screwing up his last attempt at drawing, I handed him my Becue and he was able to draw the cue ball a couple feet, or more, on three successive attempts.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently bought a defy and also had to re-tap the threads too, now there's something (very small) inside that rattles around making a ting sound on the shot ☹️

It hits great though, very solid hit
That is the dampener that seems to have come loose. They can fix that if you want to send it back in. I have heard of that happening a time or two.

poolsparky

I ordered a defy with a 3/8-10 joint, waited 11 month for it, then could NOT screw it all the way down on a Mcdermott D5, D8 or OB Cue all with 3/8-10 pins. It started out difficult then and got to the point where I was unable to finish the last 2-3 turns. I'm in my late 60's and have arthritis in my hands. I called Mcdermott and was told they are now using a different style 3/8-10 pin/joint. Was told to work the shaft on/off and it would eventually work on the older style 3/8-10 joints. Went to the local pool room and had a younger player screw the shaft on/off 25-30 times before I could finally do it. After putting it on/off myself 700-800 times it still difficult to finish the last 2-3 turns.

I like the way the shaft played and ordered another one. Same issue. I called Mcdermott and they provided me a UPS shipping label. I sent the 2nd shaft back to Mcdermott along with the D5 butt and they did something. The 2nd shaft now screws on the D5, D8 and OB butts with no problems.

I've used several different shafts on these butts (Mcdermott maple, G-core, I-3 shafts. OB shafts, Predator shafts and Hsunami shafts) and never had this problem except with the Defy..
The shaft I ordered did the same thing. I have a 3/8x10 tap that I used and now it works just fine. I'm not sure if using a lubricator will help of not. McDermott suggests using car polish on the threads if it gets tight, but that didn't work for me.

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Maybe your cue is telling you something.

I had Richard make me two cues.

The cue is telling you to play with the original shafts.
I use joss cues with joss shafts and in the 30 years I have used them have never had an issue with one of his cues
or shafts