McDermott issues

kobyp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have 2 questions... first a little background.

About a month ago, I found a hairline crack in the butt of my McDermott MG-08. I have only had the cue for a little over a year, and take very good care of it. I quit shooting with it so there would be no chance of my making the crack worse. Through word of mouth, I heard about another McDermott around town, used, for cheap.

I went and bought it, hoping that I could put my shaft on that butt and keep some of the feel that I have been accustomed to. Both cues are 3/8x10 joints but my shaft does not thread on it easy, it takes a bit of effort to get it to go on.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

There's about 16 years difference between these cues, could they have been made to different tolerances?

Secondly, does anyone know if McDermott will warranty this crack? There are no signs of abuse on the cue, so I don't see why they shouldn't.

BPG24

Banned
If you take a bar of hand soap, and rub it on the pin of the other McDermott... Then put your shaft onto it. It will work in much easier...
You must rub the soap on well, and do not wet the soap, rub it on dry....

Charlie Edwards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
kobyp said:

About a month ago, I found a hairline crack in the butt of my McDermott MG-08. I have only had the cue for a little over a year, and take very good care of it. I quit shooting with it so there would be no chance of my making the crack worse. Through word of mouth, I heard about another McDermott around town, used, for cheap.

I went and bought it, hoping that I could put my shaft on that butt and keep some of the feel that I have been accustomed to. Both cues are 3/8x10 joints but my shaft does not thread on it easy, it takes a bit of effort to get it to go on.

There's about 16 years difference between these cues, could they have been made to different tolerances?

Secondly, does anyone know if McDermott will warranty this crack? There are no signs of abuse on the cue, so I don't see why they shouldn't.
http://www.mcdermottcue.com/XWarranty.asp

kobyp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BPG24 said:
If you take a bar of hand soap, and rub it on the pin of the other McDermott... Then put your shaft onto it. It will work in much easier...

I'll try that. Just don't want to damage my shaft, so I've been afraid to force it on anything.

BPG24

Banned
kobyp said:
I'll try that. Just don't want to damage my shaft, so I've been afraid to force it on anything.

if it doesn't go on after you rub the soap on pretty well, i would stop, and wait for your other cue to be fixed... I have done this a few times on a McDermott and on an Alex Brick custom, whish is also a 3/8-10 pin... It worked both times for me...

sliprock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
kobyp said:

I haven't dealt with McD. personally but I heard that in order for them to honor their warranty, you must buy the cue from an "authorized" McD dealer, and register the cue along with proof of purchase etc with McD after the purchase. I'm only repeating what was told to me, so you might want to contact them. Good Luck

kobyp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yeah, before I bought it I made sure that the place I ordered it from was an authorized dealer. And I still have the reciept, so I shouldn't have any problems.

I got the number to call, but have been working 10hrs - 6days a week and just a haven't had the time to spare lately.

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
BPG24 said:

A drop of olive oil works as well. Just make sure to wipe any excess oil off of the threads.

Banger

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
kobyp said:

I would take the cue to the dealer you purchased it from. I am a dealer for McDermott cues, and I take care of these type problems for my customers, although I have very few problems. Last year, I sold around $30,000 in McDermott cues, and I do not think I had to send more than 3 cues back for repair.

The current McDermott warranty states that all cues purchased after September 2004 will be warranted against all manufacturers defect for the life of the cue to the original purchaser. As a dealer for McDermott, if a problem occurs, I just contact them and they send UPS out to pick up the cue, this saves the customer shipping costs. It also gets the work accomplished faster than if the customer sends the cue themselves.

Go to the website below, if the cue was purchased on line. If the person you bought it from is a registered deal they will be listed here, if not you do not have a warranty.

http://www.mcdermottcue.com/FindDealer.asp

I wish you the best, and have a nice day!!

kobyp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
manwon said:
I would take the cue to the dealer you purchased it from. I am a dealer for McDermott cues, and I take care of these type problems for my customers, although I have very few problems. Last year, I sold around $30,000 in McDermott cues, and I do not think I had to send more than 3 cues back for repair.

The current McDermott warranty states that all cues purchased after September 2004 will be warranted against all manufacturers defect for the life of the cue to the original purchaser. As a dealer for McDermott, if a problem occurs, I just contact them and they send UPS out to pick up the cue, this saves the customer shipping costs. It also gets the work accomplished faster than if the customer sends the cue themselves.

Go to the website below, if the cue was purchased on line. If the person you bought it from is a registered deal they will be listed here, if not you do not have a warranty.

http://www.mcdermottcue.com/FindDealer.asp

I wish you the best, and have a nice day!!

I ordered the cue from ozonebilliards, so do I need to send it back to them? Or can I take it to one of the dealers listed on that page?

Thanks for the help.

kobyp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh, and I tried the bar of soap thing last night before my tournament. It helped a lot, thanks for all the tips.

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
kobyp said:
I ordered the cue from ozonebilliards, so do I need to send it back to them? Or can I take it to one of the dealers listed on that page?

Thanks for the help.

Go to McDermott's home page and register it. Then look for the lifetime service tab and follow the instructions. When you send it in include a note on what the problem is. They'll fix it, clean it, re tip it and rewrap it if needed, and send it back to you. You'll be without it for about a month.

Banger

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
kobyp said:

Thanks for the help.

In most cases, you would have to send it back to McDermott yourself if the cue was ordered on the internet. Most dealers will not handle warrenty issues for other dealers, only for there own customers!!!

Good Luck, and have a good thanksgiving!!!!

edman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I keep a roll of "Chapstick" in my case pocket. Just a little dab will do ya. put a little on one side and screw
your shaft on and off a couple of times to distribute it on the threads. Just like, soap, or any other home brew
"lubricant" make sure you keep it and your joint protector clean. "Lubricants" are dirt magnets and will bind up a shaft.
I put a small drop of Teflon spray on my I-2 shaft because of the plastic insert. Wouldn't do it on wood.

kobyp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the tips.

I've been rounding up all the reciepts and stuff so I can hopefully mail my cue in this next week.