MD State 9-ball Tournament (Thanks Dannyb78)

inside_english

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played in my first MD 9-ball bar box tourney yesterday in Cambridge, MD.
There were 64 players and only 8 tables, and the races were to 9 and 7.
Translation: very long wait times! Tourney-play started at 12:45 pm and my first match was at 4:15pm.

That being said, I had a great time. The Finish Line Sports Bar and Grill is huge. There are only 10 tables (9-bar boxes and one 9-footer), but there is a big bar, stage, dance floor and OTB is on the other side. I think it is called the Turf Club. Food was decent, and you have to love being able to drink and play in a tournament...:)

The facility is non-smoking, which is always a plus for me.

I knew at least half the field, so there was plenty of time for BS'ing, which pool players are quite skilled at doing.

Danny runs a great tournament, keeps it moving as best he can, and even setup a live stream.

You have to give special kudos to a guy that hosts a tournament and pays out ALL OF THE MONEY. This guy genuinely loves the game and the action that comes with it.

I will definitely be there next year. Still stinging from my second loss so hopefully I'll get some payback...:)

Great to meet you DelaWho? Maybe next time we can finish our "debate".
 
I do like this pool room, to include the OTB next door. The Chesapeake Bay Hyatt up the road is the REAL reason I like that area.

Pool, off-track horse betting, good food, and lodging. It doesn't get any better than this.

I think this place used be named something else, and I can't remember it. It wasn't The Finish Line, though! My household gives it a thumbs-up!
 

Attachments

  • Keith at Cambridge.JPG
    Keith at Cambridge.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 282
I do like this pool room, to include the OTB next door. The Chesapeake Bay Hyatt up the road is the REAL reason I like that area.

Pool, off-track horse betting, good food, and lodging. It doesn't get any better than this.

I think this place used be named something else, and I can't remember it. It wasn't The Finish Line, though! My household gives it a thumbs-up!
It opened as Great Slates.
 
Played in my first MD 9-ball bar box tourney yesterday in Cambridge, MD.
There were 64 players and only 8 tables, and the races were to 9 and 7.
Translation: very long wait times! Tourney-play started at 12:45 pm and my first match was at 4:15pm.

That being said, I had a great time. The Finish Line Sports Bar and Grill is huge. There are only 10 tables (9-bar boxes and one 9-footer), but there is a big bar, stage, dance floor and OTB is on the other side. I think it is called the Turf Club. Food was decent, and you have to love being able to drink and play in a tournament...:)

The facility is non-smoking, which is always a plus for me.

I knew at least half the field, so there was plenty of time for BS'ing, which pool players are quite skilled at doing.

Danny runs a great tournament, keeps it moving as best he can, and even setup a live stream.

You have to give special kudos to a guy that hosts a tournament and pays out ALL OF THE MONEY. This guy genuinely loves the game and the action that comes with it.

I will definitely be there next year. Still stinging from my second loss so hopefully I'll get some payback...:)

Great to meet you DelaWho? Maybe next time we can finish our "debate".

Same here, but I think next time we'll have to pick a topic, we were all over the map. Danny said he was going to start live streaming it lol.

I can say with confidence that I was the weakest player in the room. I didn't care, I did my best to show someone the door before I got kicked, maybe next yr. I've only had this Diamond for a month, and there is a lot of work to do.

Danny runs an effiecient, fair tourney. While there were only 8 tables and the races were long, I didn't see any table sitting idle. Danny kept it moving along.

Wish I could have been there today to see the money rounds. It was a long ride home, and late when I got there. I was suprised to see Clatterbuck was knocked out at 16th, as he won it the last 2 yrs and was the biggest calcutta draw. Someone lost some cash on him.

Next time I see you, I'll get the first round.

:cool:
 
Same here, but I think next time we'll have to pick a topic, we were all over the map. Danny said he was going to start live streaming it lol.

I can say with confidence that I was the weakest player in the room. I didn't care, I did my best to show someone the door before I got kicked, maybe next yr. I've only had this Diamond for a month, and there is a lot of work to do.

Danny runs an effiecient, fair tourney. While there were only 8 tables and the races were long, I didn't see any table sitting idle. Danny kept it moving along.

Wish I could have been there today to see the money rounds. It was a long ride home, and late when I got there. I was suprised to see Clatterbuck was knocked out at 16th, as he won it the last 2 yrs and was the biggest calcutta draw. Someone lost some cash on him.

Next time I see you, I'll get the first round.

:cool:
I can also say with confidence that you were *not* the weakest player in the room. I knew the weakest one, and he was basically playing for lack of anything better to do.

Regarding our discussions, yes, we were all over the map, but it is hard to have fluid discussions in such a crowd, with such an "audience".

I left this morning from the hotel at 9:45 am, and was home by 11:30 am (stopping at McDonald's along the way).

See you at the next tournament. How did Vinny make out?
 
He won his first one from hill hill after letting it almost get away, It was 7-1 in his favor at one point.
Then he played Ryan McCreesh. Ryan broke first and ran. Vinnie broke, came up dry and Ryan ran out. Ryan broke and ran again. Vinnie broke made one on the break, had no shot on the 1 and Ryan ran. You see the trend here. Ryan was playing flawless and he took the set 9-0.
Wegie sent him home 7-3. Vinnie got a slow start and was down by 4 before he got his feet under him. Wegie played a really smart set with a lot of saftey play.

Do we know who won yet?
 
Back
Top