Merchants Beware of Scam.

mnorwood

Moon
Silver Member
It goes like this: An order comes in from an Asian customer for a lucrative order. They pay with a money order or cashiers check. The socalled secure payment is bogus and your screwed.

Maybe old news, but heads up.
 
Mnorwood, more details would be nice. As someone who lives in Asia and occasionally orders things I hate seeing this kind of vague information. Is there some reason why, when you receive the certified check/MO, you can't wait for it to clear before shipping, just as with a regular personal check?
 
mnorwood said:
It goes like this: An order comes in from an Asian customer for a lucrative order. They pay with a money order or cashiers check. The socalled secure payment is bogus and your screwed.

Maybe old news, but heads up.
Don't just limit this to Asians..This is happening ALL over the world not just from Asia.all methods of payment certified bank checks ect.can be bogus/suspect..seems like every move we make anymore we have to be careful..thanks for reminding us ..Happy Holidays :)
 
cuejoey said:
Don't just limit this to Asians..This is happening ALL over the world not just from Asia.all methods of payment certified bank checks ect.can be bogus/suspect..seems like every move we make anymore we have to be careful..thanks for reminding us ..Happy Holidays :)

It seems that the biggest red flag is when the person wants to give you a check for more then the item is and have you send them the differnce. Seems kind of fishy, but you would be surprised how many people do it.
 
rossaroni said:
It seems that the biggest red flag is when the person wants to give you a check for more then the item is and have you send them the differnce. Seems kind of fishy, but you would be surprised how many people do it.
Yup and this has been out for years BUT everyday people fall for it..that's why it's always nice to bring it up again ..
 
cuejoey said:
Yup and this has been out for years BUT everyday people fall for it..that's why it's always nice to bring it up again ..

Also, if someone in Africa(who you don't know) wants to give you $23 million, it might be a scam. I know $8,900 is not much to send them to secure your $23 million, but up to this point, I have never heard of anyone getting their money. :confused: Sounds too good to be true.... I learned this when I was a kid!
 
I do a lot of out of the U.S. sales. The only way that I will operate is by bank transfers where they go to their bank and wire the money to my bank. I go one step further to protect myself by having the money wired to a holding account in one bank and then I transfer the money from that bank to my bank. I just feel safer because the people on the other end will have you routing number and bank account. I have never been stuck like this. A true buyer on the other end will have no trouble with this if they are on the ups.
 
david hodges said:
I do a lot of out of the U.S. sales. The only way that I will operate is by bank transfers where they go to their bank and wire the money to my bank. I go one step further to protect myself by having the money wired to a holding account in one bank and then I transfer the money from that bank to my bank. I just feel safer because the people on the other end will have you routing number and bank account. I have never been stuck like this. A true buyer on the other end will have no trouble with this if they are on the ups.

Well there you go. :)

Question on your holding account practice, though - do you keep the same account over time, just leaving it empty between transactions? Or do you open new ones and close them with each transaction? You state you do this to keep others from having your main account info, but I'm curious if you don't mind them having your holding account info. I assume not if you keep it empty between transactions.
 
Back
Top