Mike Dechaine

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually, you are mistaken.

Here are the current BCA rankings per the AZB home page. As you can see, though, Mark did take two of the top 3 Americans by BCA ranking. Have a little faith in Mark. He'll do his utmost to prepare his team.

I was going by the money list.

And I have all the faith in the world in Mark.

If I were a betting man, I'd quickly bet that this year's US team will get at least 7 games this year.

playpool2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you suppose each of those picked to represent the US were polled as to their opinion of having Mike Dechaine as a teammate?

Gee.... he cut in line. Off with his head.

He "he has proven himself to be of low character each time for different reasons." Wow, that certainly is open to interpretation.

He's got "a big head". That alone is enough to keep him out.

How about he doesn't chalk his cue in the acceptable format. I like that one.

I've met him numerous times, watched a lot of his matches and outside of his preoccupation with getting the perfect rack, he has been just fine.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you suppose each of those picked to represent the US were polled as to their opinion of having Mike Dechaine as a teammate?

Gee.... he cut in line. Off with his head.

He "he has proven himself to be of low character each time for different reasons." Wow, that certainly is open to interpretation.

He's got "a big head". That alone is enough to keep him out.

How about he doesn't chalk his cue in the acceptable format. I like that one.

I've met him numerous times, watched a lot of his matches and outside of his preoccupation with getting the perfect rack, he has been just fine.

Didn't he have a meltdown two mosconi cups ago, when score was tied?

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who the f**k is Mark Wilson?

I also have not heard of Matk Wilson before. Many Mark Wilsons are in other disciplines
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Wilson
Which is a good thing to have a relative unknown as captain cos USA chances of winning just went up many %
In most discipline top players are bad managers/ coaches / captains. Maradona was a bad coach. Pele was a great but clueless about management /coaching.
Michael Jordan struggled in management , Robert de Niro was poor director , Mariah Carey /Britney Spears/Shakira were not great coaches . Conversely the best coaches/ managers were lesser known players eg. Simon Cowell, Mourinho, Ferguson
I mean isn't Europe's Johann whatshisname a relative unknown who excelled as captain.

And blaming Mark Wilson for rise of invitationals in just sheer nonsense and as is common in this forum another uninformed fictional opinion
:)

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He was part of the first few Mosconi Cups. A bit like being on the winning super bowl team in super bowl I. You get some rep for doing that.

Ok. Got it. Shane is an obvious choice. Not sure about Shuff. Hes ok. And does have Mosconi experience. The others.....I don't know. If the USA was at home, they are probably good choices. At Blackpool! Wow! I hope they have their "A" game with them. That has to be the toughest place on planet earth to play pool! The 2012 Cup at York Hall was bad enough, but it think this is going to be hell!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Mark is an ideal choice. His credentials are truly remarkable:

1) Retired top American professional competitor
2) Played on a winning Mosconi Cup team
3) A renowned and respected instructor
4) A gentleman of the highest order and integrity
5) A role model in the area of sportsmanship

Of those that have yet to get the opportunity to be coach of Team USA, another American who has all five of these credentials is Tony Robles, and I believe that Tony will coach Team USA one day.

.... but for now, Mark will do us all proud. Just watch!

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I believe Mike's omission to be a strategic component of a long-term plan.

Methinks you might be right...

I'm thinking that this might be designed to get his, and a few others, attention. To set the standards about what is to be expected, and if you wanna play, this is the way.

I applaud the plan, if that's what it is. It may be a minor component of whatever the plan is, but I expect it is a part of it. I also expect that this years team will be more competitive than many give them a chance to be.

It will be fun to see how it plays out.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A few days after last year's MC I posted: "I said this to several folks at the MC: I believe the ideal coaching choice for the US team would be Mark Wilson. He is an accomplished player, has played in two MC, is a renown instructor, is well respected in the industry, understands the psychological issues of team competition, and has the physical presence and gravitas to lead the team."

That's who Mark Wilson is.

Anyone who has played a team sport knows that all it takes is one guy to pump a team up or drag it down. And Mark, in this regard, is attempting a novel concept for U.S. pool -- build a team of players who will help each other, feed off each other and create synergy. IOWs, it's not just a question of "team spirt."

Beyond that I also believe he is looking at choosing his team members by evaluating the core components of their game. It's not so much about just being super creative, being able to execute circus shots, or being great at one particular discipline. I think he's looking for something more -- guys with core skills that will hold up in the pressure cooker that is the MC and who will add to the team as a whole rather than detract.

Beyond that Mark has recognized that, at one point or another, there needs to be a fundamental investment in some of our younger players. To give them the experience and seasoning for the out years.

In any case, Mark should be given a chance over the course of the next few years. I think it's a great experiment that can certainly do no worse that what has gone before. He does not deserve the sniping, particularly from those transparently shilling for a favorite player.

Lou Figueroa

TheRanger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you have to applaud Mark Wilson for the approach he is taking. Lets face it... nothing the Americans have brought in to the Mosconi Cup over the last few years has been worthy of lifting the trophy.

Man for man they have all been top players, but far from being a top team.

I also think you will see the best of SVB come out this year - he will be the leader of the team and I would expect to see a performance that states just that. The younger guys will see this and feed off it. They will all be gaining experience for future appearances in the cup also and are not there to make up the numbers.

Who wants to see a load of guys who keep getting their ass handed to them time after time? May as well let the younger guys have a go and mix things up. They are all more than competent for sure.

If you remove Shane form the equation, do you think the 4 guys from last years team would steamroller a team made up of these younger guys using the cup format? Very, very doubtful.

Tobermory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dear BRussell--

Wow! What in the world happened to the behavior and the attitude of the players since that first MC? These guys, on both sides, actually look as if they are enjoying themselves.

Also, does the name Didier Deschamps ring a bell? He is the coach of the French National Soccer Team who has just excluded a major player from his squad in order to maintain peace on the team--and that right before the beginning of The World Cup in Rio de Janeiro in three weeks!

Last edited:

jpparmentier

AZB Artist
Silver Member
Team AzB
This Mosconi Cup thing is really good at creating long thread subjects.

- In 2012 Archer was hand-picked and a lot of people complained because some youngsters might be more deserving (at that time, Oscar was named by a few for instance). Archer went on to be unbeaten in London, the best of all 10 players.

- In 2013 The whole lot was hand-picked (20th anniversary edition) and obviously it was impossible to have 30 players so a few big names got left out (Hohmann, Deuel, Ortmann, Jones, Chamat, etc...). Yet nobody predicted the outcome with team USA unable to score a point before the 9th match.

- In 2014 there's a new guy in charge for the USA, like in 2006 there was for Europe. He's doing his thing, which means that whatever looks unfair from the public eye's point of view will be questioned. Earl, Mike, Johnny and all can win whatever they want - even the US Open! - They won't make it to the team in 2014.

The real answer to this will come when they will all be in Blackpool. All of the 8 players pre-selected by Mark Wilson are able to beat anybody in the world in a race to 5, 9-ball, alternate break. It depends more on wether they will be able to make it when it counts.

I don't believe any agitation around the non-qualified players will help USA bring the cup back. Let's wait and see. I have faith that the American boys will try their best. And it might just work :)

Woof Biscuit

and gravy
Silver Member
My memory may be failing again but I seem to remember MD dogging it pretty bad last time he was on the team.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
A few days after last year's MC I posted: "I said this to several folks at the MC: I believe the ideal coaching choice for the US team would be Mark Wilson. He is an accomplished player, has played in two MC, is a renown instructor, is well respected in the industry, understands the psychological issues of team competition, and has the physical presence and gravitas to lead the team."

Uh-oh, not another one of those "I Sounded The First Alarm" posts!

(Jest razzin' ya, Lou. ;) )

That's who Mark Wilson is.

Anyone who has played a team sport knows that all it takes is one guy to pump a team up or drag it down. And Mark, in this regard, is attempting a novel concept for U.S. pool -- build a team of players who will help each other, feed off each other and create synergy. IOWs, it's not just a question of "team spirt."

Beyond that I also believe he is looking at choosing his team members by evaluating the core components of their game. It's not so much about just being super creative, being able to execute circus shots, or being great at one particular discipline. I think he's looking for something more -- guys with core skills that will hold up in the pressure cooker that is the MC and who will add to the team as a whole rather than detract.

Beyond that Mark has recognized that, at one point or another, there needs to be a fundamental investment in some of our younger players. To give them the experience and seasoning for the out years.

In any case, Mark should be given a chance over the course of the next few years. I think it's a great experiment that can certainly do no worse that what has gone before. He does not deserve the sniping, particularly from those transparently shilling for a favorite player.

Lou Figueroa

Agreed. All those pissing on Mark "just because" he specifically left Mike Dechaine out are not looking at the bigger picture, or can't see past their own noses. (Mike D. DOES have some growing up to do in terms of learning what true professionalism is, but I also think Mike has the ability to look outside of himself and learn the necessary lessons to make himself a candidate in the future.)

The public's perception of the American pool player needs an overhaul, and selecting the usual suspects to represent us does nothing in the way of that much-needed overhaul. Mark knows this, and is going about his business according to his own credo -- which DOES have the bigger goal in mind.

-Sean