MnBCA vote -more FACTS

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
To all the Minnesota Pool Players;

To inform those that are interested, I have included a letter sent to the MnBCA board prior to the vote taken on May 11th. As I have always stated, my position is for the players. BCA will continue to offer the players true choices. BCA will not force players to make decisions but try to keep their options open.

There was no pressing reason for the vote to take place prior to the Vegas event. It seems that the MN Board does not want to hear both sides of the issue. This is terribly unfortunate for the BCA players of Minnesota who suddenly find themselves disenfranchised. And for those who feel the money no longer belongs to the players; you need to remember what the goals of a state organization should be. I do not believe it is to have $50,000 sitting in a bank account. The purpose is to promote pool in Minnesota. That money should only be used for local or state events - and not used to fund (or loan)any national organizations.

Respectfully,

Mark Griffin
812-987-1461

May 11, 2004

TO: MnBCA Board

First of all, let me state a few things.

Throughout the whole procedure (since becoming interested in acquiring the BCA League Program), my sole interest has been to promote the game and to enhance the opportunities for the players. That is one reason why the “dual-sanction” definition was redefined. That is also why we revived the National 9-Ball event. And we will be announcing an exciting fund-raising program that will seriously benefit the operator, the players and state organizations.

Somehow my goals have gotten misconstrued with many rumors being wildly circulated. Let me try and set a couple of these rumors to rest. Under NO circumstances does the BCA Pool League want control of your state organization, or any the money in your bank account. The money belongs to the players and the league operators. It should be used ONLY for local/state events. The board should be very cautious of any move, by anyone to utilize these funds other than a direct benefit to your players.

Because of this unique situation, the BCA is prepared to take the following position.

In a gesture of good faith, and to show my sincerity, the BCA Pool League will recognize all existing league operators in Minnesota as being in “good standing” until August 31, 2004. That is extending the time for your meeting for 90 days. I don’t feel your organization should be forced to make these types of decisions on short notice and even shorter information. By granting this extra time, perhaps your group can make a better decision for the players benefit. The urgency of making immediate decisions goes away.

I feel it is very unfortunate that these kinds of issues keep coming up, when all we should be doing is shooting pool. If there are any questions, as always I can be contacted at 812-987-1461. Hopefully, I will see many of you in Las Vegas for the National 8-Ball event. I will be available 24/7 except when playing my singles matches.

I would request that for future board meetings, the BCA Pool League be notified and be invited to make a presentation of our position. I believe that is the only way this organization will have the facts to make an informed decision.

Respectfully,

Mark Griffin

breakup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark Griffin said:
To all the Minnesota Pool Players;

To inform those that are interested, I have included a letter sent to the MnBCA board prior to the vote taken on May 11th. As I have always stated, my position is for the players. BCA will continue to offer the players true choices. BCA will not force players to make decisions but try to keep their options open.

There was no pressing reason for the vote to take place prior to the Vegas event. It seems that the MN Board does not want to hear both sides of the issue. This is terribly unfortunate for the BCA players of Minnesota who suddenly find themselves disenfranchised. And for those who feel the money no longer belongs to the players; you need to remember what the goals of a state organization should be. I do not believe it is to have $50,000 sitting in a bank account. The purpose is to promote pool in Minnesota. That money should only be used for local or state events - and not used to fund (or loan)any national organizations.

Respectfully,

Mark Griffin
812-987-1461

May 11, 2004

TO: MnBCA Board

First of all, let me state a few things.

Throughout the whole procedure (since becoming interested in acquiring the BCA League Program), my sole interest has been to promote the game and to enhance the opportunities for the players. That is one reason why the “dual-sanction” definition was redefined. That is also why we revived the National 9-Ball event. And we will be announcing an exciting fund-raising program that will seriously benefit the operator, the players and state organizations.

Somehow my goals have gotten misconstrued with many rumors being wildly circulated. Let me try and set a couple of these rumors to rest. Under NO circumstances does the BCA Pool League want control of your state organization, or any the money in your bank account. The money belongs to the players and the league operators. It should be used ONLY for local/state events. The board should be very cautious of any move, by anyone to utilize these funds other than a direct benefit to your players.

Because of this unique situation, the BCA is prepared to take the following position.

In a gesture of good faith, and to show my sincerity, the BCA Pool League will recognize all existing league operators in Minnesota as being in “good standing” until August 31, 2004. That is extending the time for your meeting for 90 days. I don’t feel your organization should be forced to make these types of decisions on short notice and even shorter information. By granting this extra time, perhaps your group can make a better decision for the players benefit. The urgency of making immediate decisions goes away.

I feel it is very unfortunate that these kinds of issues keep coming up, when all we should be doing is shooting pool. If there are any questions, as always I can be contacted at 812-987-1461. Hopefully, I will see many of you in Las Vegas for the National 8-Ball event. I will be available 24/7 except when playing my singles matches.

I would request that for future board meetings, the BCA Pool League be notified and be invited to make a presentation of our position. I believe that is the only way this organization will have the facts to make an informed decision.

Respectfully,

Mark Griffin

thanks Mark, nice to get the rest of the story

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
I am hoping you succeed Mark, and actually take your side over the ACS. That being said I made a post about a month ago called "Mark better get hiring" or something close to that effect. I was not wrong, I saw this coming, I saw you losing half of North America's player base to the ACS due to promoters bailing on the BCA. The whole point of that original thread was that you are going to have to do this yourself in alot of areas, not rely on the current league operators to run your local concerns for you because they clearly have different agendas then you or the BCA. Minnisota now has no BCA charter? It is up to you to change that, you are the BCA and you can give the players the choice by setting up your own competing local league. It is time for war, it is time to outshine the competition or get buried by it. You need to set up your own BCA infrastructure, you need to nationalize the league system under one central authority with a bunch of local operators working for your BCA company, not rely on a bunch of private opperators like the BCA used to be to continue to help you out when the ACS is basically offering them the same thing they had before the sale, freedom.

Seriously, don't be surprised at this. Don't be surprised when it happens again. Time for you to stop talking and getting things ready so that the BCA does for itself and does not rely on what it used to be. The league operators told you that you bought nothing but a name, to a large extent they are proving that is true and from the outside looking in on these boards the players are seeing little action comming from you to ensure the BCA's future and strengthen the league system. The Co-Op systems are smalltime, if you lose this battle then you have only yourself to blame, welcome to America where Co-Ops and non-profit means smalltime and the bigtime sports, companies, and anything else successful is for profit and governed under one higher authority. Of course those companies that do operate under one authority do for themselves and expect no handouts.

breakup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...Time for you to stop talking and getting things ready so that the BCA does for itself and does not rely on what it used to be. ...

Bringing back the BCA national 9 ball tournament November 16-21 in Las Vegas is not talk, it is action.

...by the way.... when and where is the ACS National 8 ball tournament?