Mosconi Cup 2021 Day 3 Updates

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
What's the deal with the fans choice teams match that was listed at the bottom of the line up?

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's the deal with the fans choice teams match that was listed at the bottom of the line up?

Yeah I was thinking about that too. I think they put it off because the US was losing so bad and they want to make sure they have more than one match tomorrow. But that’s just a guess, maybe it was some other issue.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You'd just have people asking for the ball to be cleaned every shot if that was the case.

that a player could use/abuse the time cleaning the ball to gather themselves is a legitimate point
double j/any player should ask for the cb to be cleaned immediately, then use that time to think without going over the clock
honestly, I didn't know they didn't stop the clock tho, in any match, at any tournament..for some reason that's surprising to me
damn shame tho, that ending. I wonder if double j knew the rule, and forgot in the heat of the moment, or didn't know it at all
you figure a guy like jeremy jones would know all the rules backwards and forwards, but maybe not..guess we'll hear about it

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
that a player could use/abuse the time cleaning the ball to gather themselves is a legitimate point
double j/any player should ask for the cb to be cleaned immediately, then use that time to think without going over the clock
honestly, I didn't know they didn't stop the clock tho, in any match, at any tournament..your above point is good, but it's still surprising to me
damn shame, tho, that ending. I'm curious to know if double j knew the rule, and forgot in the heat of the moment, or didn't know at all
you figure a guy like jeremy jones would know all the rules backwards and forwards, but maybe not..guess we'll hear about it
In matches with a ref and no shot clock they clean the ball every time they like

Snooker they clean the ball often because any little skid will cost the shot on right pockets. If pool is going to be played on tight pockets, players have to be able to clean the ball.

Zhero

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In matches with a ref and no shot clock they clean the ball every time they like

Snooker they clean the ball often because any little skid will cost the shot on right pockets. If pool is going to be played on tight pockets, players have to be able to clean the ball.
You said it yourself, when there is no shot clock, not a problem. You cannot expect the clock to be stopped when the cue ball is being cleaned because that's an unfair time advantage.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So US got shut out 5-0 today?
Yep. Emily likely made executive decision to push Match 6 (Fan's Choice) to final day tomorrow to avoid Europe getting on hill 10-5
I think there was one year when Europe got on hill on 2nd last day and next day it was anticlimatic was 1 match and it was confetti and prizes presentation. Even Barry Hearn haven't warm up his seat yet. Still improved performance by Emily to whip these 2 teams to 4 days this year instead of 3 last year :LOL:

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Snooker they clean the ball often because any little skid will cost the shot on right pockets. If pool is going to played on tight pockets, players have to be able to clean the ball.

right..I was thinking that I'd never seen a time violation in snooker, but wasn't sure
so they don't have a shot clock in snooker at all? then maybe they shouldn't have one in pool- ?
are so many pro pool players unreasonable with their time-taking that we need one?
great point about the pockets tho. our rules should protect the game, not endanger it.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
You are supposed to shoot with a clump of chalk on the ball and take your chances?

Pause the clock for the 5 seconds it takes...WTF
Three points here.
One, JJ didn't get screwed if they had in fact gone over the rules regarding the cleaning of the CB at the start.
The captain of all people should know the rules.
Two, players abuse the stop-the-clock rule some tourneys have and use it to compose themselves without losing time. (Chang is a big one)
Three, the refs always announce to the players when a ball is frozen. They don't look at it and keep it a secret until after a potential foul has been committed and then award BIH to the opponent. Therefore, it is my opinion the ref should have been obligated to inform JJ that the clock will not stop while he cleans the CB.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or games being decided over him not hearing the 5 second beeping.

I really want to know if he's have made the 6 abd gotten shape on the 7....we will never know

He definitely heard it beeping. He game over to the table and started questioning it because it was beeping.

Yeah it looked like an easy out but I wouldn’t have bet that he’d get out there, lol.