Mosconi Cup Stats -- Career Records for Players on 2018 Teams

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... it’s races to 5. At that level short races are no more than a coin flip ...

Team Europe has won 117 of the last 186 coin flips (63%).

[Some of the Mosconi Cup races in the past 11 years were to 6 instead of 5, but I imagine you would still consider those to be coin flips.]

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The USA vs. England challenge match, part of Team USA's preparation for the Mosconi Cup, is just two days away. The announcement of the event about 3 weeks ago said it would be a race to 7 match wins, with the matches being a mix of singles and doubles races to 5 game wins.

Here is how the players on this Team England have done in their own Mosconi Cup singles and doubles matches:

• • Darren Appleton (8 yrs. -- 2009-2016) ..... 10-4 singles, 10-15 doubles

• Karl Boyes (4 yrs. -- 2010, 2013-2015) ..... 4-2 singles, 10-2 doubles

• Mark Gray (3 yrs, -- 2008, 2014, 2016) ..... 1-1 singles, 4-5 doubles

• Chris Melling (2 yrs. -- 2011-2012) ..... 5-0 singles, 1-4 doubles

• Imran Majid (1 yr. -- 2006) ..... 1-1 singles, 1-1 doubles

Team England Total ..... 21-8 singles, 26-27 doubles [winning percentages of 57% by Method 1 and 61% by Method 2 (as defined in post #1)]

For comparison, the current Team USA's record in singles and doubles (post #1) is: 19-26 singles, 28-37 doubles [43% by both Methods 1 and 2]

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I’m impressed with Europe’s record but then I realize it’s races to 5. At that level short races are no more than a coin flip w/ Europe having maybe 51% to 49% advantage because of solid fundamentals and backing by their country.

Having said that I wonder what the records would look like in longer races let’s say 13 or 15. Yes I know it takes away from the excitement. Has anybody researched the American players records against ea player on the European team in other tournaments w longer races. Just curious

Europe has dominated. Whether you count total matches or total racks, Europe is winning over 60% of the time over the past eight years and there have probably been about 1,000 racks played.

The Mosconi Cup is a race to 55, which is a very long match. To win, your team needs to get to five eleven times. America has lost the last eight consecutive races to 55! Coin toss, LOL!

BassMasterK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m impressed with Europe’s record but then I realize it’s races to 5. At that level short races are no more than a coin flip w/ Europe having maybe 51% to 49% advantage because of solid fundamentals and backing by their country.

Having said that I wonder what the records would look like in longer races let’s say 13 or 15. Yes I know it takes away from the excitement. Has anybody researched the American players records against ea player on the European team in other tournaments w longer races. Just curious

You know, I have been saying the "It's only a race to 5, it's a coinflip" thing for years. However, somehow Europe has been winning an large amount of these coin flips which appears to have gone beyond a statistical anomaly. I also used to keep saying that it seemed like Europe got an unusual amount of lucky rolls but I was there in person last year and for the first time ever I had to admit that the US actually had the larger number of lucky rolls and we still got crushed. Then lets not forget the old saying that the better players seem to get more lucky rolls because they play better.

I really like the Fargorate system and it is showing how even a modest edge means things are not really a coin flip. A team with even a modest advantage will win more races to five. What doesn't make sense is how lopsided the scores have been.

I do think our team pick could have been stronger this year. That being said, we have a coach that knows how to win and the players respect him so I will respect his choices for the team. They will have an uphill battle with both the European team and the crowd this year. I'm rooting for them!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Europe has dominated. Whether you count total matches or total racks, Europe is winning over 60% of the time over the past eight years and there have probably been about 1,000 racks played.

The Mosconi Cup is a race to 55, which is a very long match. To win, your team needs to get to five eleven times. America has lost the last eight consecutive races to 55! Coin toss, LOL!
It's effectively even longer than that due to games in the matches the event winner loses. This year it was a race to 76 with the US winning 76-75 (in some sense). You could say they won hill-hill in a best of 151 match. That turns out to be about 8 more games than they were expected to win on paper in that length of competition.