Mosconi cup

People aren't mentioning that Earl almost immediately apologized. Earl shouldn't have been chosen IMO, however, he IS acting differently so far and he WAS getting insanely unlucky.

Jaden

Earl is the only us player I could name...other than Shane. On the European side its Shaw. The best player of the bunch is Shaw no doubt.
Buddy Hall, Nick Varner,Steve Mizerak, Siegel ???
Compared to Thorston, Efren, Mika, Neils? of the 90's?? lol please. Different class entirely...like professional versus local league players. The problem was their fundamentals were horrible back in the day. There is a reason all the pros look the same nowadays. I doubt you can find a top 10 player who doesn't have sound fundamentals.

Now we have Filler, Shaw,... .... fill in the blanks because to me these are the top 2 players by a gap.

Last edited:

KeithS66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First of all, other than Earl the early pool players (before the 90's) were garbage. Efren proved that. Secondly, Europe didn't play "american pool" but look how quickly they caught up? Why? Because the usa players fundamentally speaking were garbage.
Thirdly, a world cup with teams...not usa against Europe...that's a country against a continent..... If there already is one then no need for the mosconi cup.

Lastly, Mosconi couldn't play 9 ball to save his life...just watch him and Fats butcher the game on an 8 ball table with buckets. The old guys were straight pool players who ran up scores because the tables had buckets.
I didn't think there were any Bruce Christopher disciples left out there, I guess "Superstroke" continues to survive in one form or another...

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl is the only us player I could name...other than Shane. On the European side its Shaw. The best player of the bunch is Shaw no doubt.

Compared to Thorston, Efren, Mika, Neils? of the 90's?? lol please. Different class entirely...like professional versus local league players. The problem was their fundamentals were horrible back in the day. There is a reason all the pros look the same nowadays. I doubt you can find a top 10 player who doesn't have sound fundamentals.

Now we have Filler, Shaw,... .... fill in the blanks because to me these are the top 2 players by a gap.
You said before the 90's. Carry on

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
God no
It's rand
sky probably would have failed the test just by having been stood near billy barebreast
Its testing by World Antidoping ..

If they tested all I know 2 for sure that would be gone.

Billy's number came up, maybe randomly, and he's paid a big price just when he will taking off.

You can't take pool out of the gutter....because then it may as well be snooker.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This statement supports the idea that you don't follow pool very closely., at least not current pool. No problem with that, but sometimes it is better to learn about things before bashing them.
Compared to Thorston, Efren, Mika, Neils? of the 90's?? lol please. Different class entirely...like professional versus local league players.
Who was named player of the decade of the '90's? Could be a dude named the Scorpion....
The problem was their fundamentals were horrible back in the day. There is a reason all the pros look the same nowadays. I doubt you can find a top 10 player who doesn't have sound fundamentals.
Why are you so hung up on fundamentals? SVB is world Champion and is know for having an unconventional stroke. Keith Mcready had nowhere near perfect fundamentals, but he was unbeatable for a stretch.
Again, SVB=World Champoin 9 Ball. Sanchez Ruiz=8 ball Champion. Fedor Gorst=won more than anyone this year

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First of all, other than Earl the early pool players (before the 90's) were garbage. Efren proved that. Secondly, Europe didn't play "american pool" but look how quickly they caught up? Why? Because the usa players fundamentally speaking were garbage.
Thirdly, a world cup with teams...not usa against Europe...that's a country against a continent..... If there already is one then no need for the mosconi cup.

Lastly, Mosconi couldn't play 9 ball to save his life...just watch him and Fats butcher the game on an 8 ball table with buckets. The old guys were straight pool players who ran up scores because the tables had buckets.
Europe has snooker, pool and 3 cushion clubs where players train to improve, with organized player leagues/tournaments

We have the scourge that is league pool sending people to Vegas to play on Valleys and big table pool halls closing at an alarming rate. We will not keep up.

buttnkdwonder

Registered

You must not be a big fan of pool if you can only name Earl, SVB and Shaw out of this group. I think it's also oversimplifying to saw it's Filler/Shaw and then everyone else (Filler stands at the top but Shaw just isn't there at the moment).

On the US side, Sky is a two-time Mosconi Cup MVP who is consistently in the top two of earners in the US. Styer is playing in his fourth Mosconi Cup and Oscar is the owner of one of the most prominent pool rooms in the country, Hard Time Billiards.

On the Euro side, the only thing Shaw tops the rest of this group in is popularity. Filler wins basically every tournament he plays in and is the clear #1 on the team. Francisco Sanchez-Ruiz topped the nine ball rankings this year with his stellar play including a World Cup win alongside Alcaide and the US Open 9-Ball win this year alone. Albin Ouschan is probably the most accomplished player on the team besides Filler, with two World Cup wins, 2 World 9-Ball Championships, and a Mosconi Cup MVP of his own. And though Alcaide probably is past his peak he has been a top player for the past decade, with two World Pool Masters wins and multiple tournament wins in 9 and 10-ball.

That's not to mention that arguably the best player in the world at the moment, Fedor Gorst, couldn't play in enough tournaments this year to qualify, otherwise he would certainly be a shoe-in on this team.

I don't disagree with you about players today being in a different class though it's an unfair advantage given the advances we have made in both technology and access to information. I don't think it's helpful to compare players of different eras in any sport for this reason. But I think your other comments belie your clear casual observance of the current state of pool.

owll

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't disagree with you about players today being in a different class though it's an unfair advantage given the advances we have made in both technology and access to information. I don't think it's helpful to compare players of different eras in any sport for this reason. But I think your other comments belie your clear casual observance of the current state of pool.
I agree. They played on slower equipment with a lighter cue ball. I don't think I even heard about simonez cloth until the 90's, and those red circle cue balls, ugghh.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its a made for Brit tv exhibition. When people realize this maybe they'll calm down. Its like WWF with pool cues.
You and a few others may think that. But the players certainly do NOT see it as an exhibition. It's far more then that.