Mosconi's 526 record...Who could break it???

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
I agree

pete lafond said:
I just get annoyed in the pool hall when balls are always jumpiing on the floor. Seems like everyone goes for a jump first because it's easier to hit the ball. I know it's now part of the game, just doesn't make sense that it almost always is the first shot selection when hooked. (The better players know better and are selective)

I agree that it is too often used as a first resort. I almost always kick, kicking is a lot more controllable in my humble opinion. I will jump on occasion and I don't like the idea of limiting jump cues from tournaments, but hey maybe that's because I suck at full cue jumping, though I can jump a ball from half an inch with a shaft and accurately.

Poolhalljunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

When I lived in germany I played in the DBU Deutsche Billiard Union It was a very impressive and well run league with standardized rules and a strict dress code. We played on Saturdays and Sundays depending on the skill level Each team had 4 players, The day was split in to matches first match was 2 8-ball games, 1 9-ball game and 1 14.1 game to 80 or 90 second match was 1 8-ball 2 9-ball and another 14.1 game. Once every season their was a qualifying tounament for each game where the top 4 from each tounament went on to represent our league in the next level state to national and I believe the winner of the national tournament gained free entrance into the european championships. The great thing about playing in the league was the in my opinon that the level of play was much higher on average. I know of several guys that could run 150 in 1-3 innings and some very disciplined 9-ball players.

ajrack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jimmy Moore

I was talking to Jimmy Moore years ago at one of the LA tourneys and he stated he had run over 300 a few times but usually he got tired and/or bored before he got to that number.

SPINTHEBALL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joe Pickens said:
It was in Springfield, Ohio and I think the name of the place was East Side Billiards.

Co-owned, coincidentaly by George Rood, famous road player,who was just as good as Mosconi and suffered from no substance abuse whatsoever. He was also in the Airforce and was on the 1936 US Olympic team

lamar25

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LastTwo said:
How does the 15 ball 1 pocket ghost work? Do you break the balls a certain way to spread them out over your hole and then take ball in hand, or do you play from where the cueball lies?

Hey "LastTwo",
"Sorry about our last encounter" in another thread.
The game can be made in many different ways.
In my case, John had choice of breaks & ball in hand after the break. John broke the balls open & then, tuck ball in hand & ran 2 racks back to back.
"Do Not Bet" if the player accepts your offer, when playing the "Ghost".
"I retired from playing the ghost"

"Have a nice day"
Lamar

Donovan

A little security, goes..
Silver Member
At the end of the run...

This is one long thread, so I'm sorry if I missed the resolution to this question.

Assuming that the run did happen (with his personality and perfectionism it is hard to imagine that it didn't) I have heard three different stories about how the run ended.

1. I've heard he missed the 6-ball in the corner that was close to being straight in.

2. I've heard that he got tired and just quit without missing a ball.

3. I've heard that the reason he quit and didn't miss a ball was because he finally got locked up and didn't have a shot.

Any thoughts on what really happened?

As far as who could break the record...anyone.
If a human did it, then a human can surpass it. Unless straight pool comes back to main stream, I doubt we will get the opportunity to enjoy the possibility of seeing it happen. If I had to pick someone alive today, I'd pick Mike Zuglan.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Colovita or Dilibereto

I've been hesitant to post this, but, here goes.
OHB or Grady could probably help here, but back aroun 1970, at the Old Stardust deal, either Colivita or Danny D were practicing 14.1 and they held up the start of play for about 2-3 hours because the player would not miss. The rumor was that when they were forced to stop play and begin the tournament that he( whoever it was) had run somewhere around750 balls.
I don't remember real well because I was at another table going off to Craig Stevens. That, is another story.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Even the Best Can be Delusional...

I haven't read this whole thread, so I don't know if someone else has mentioned this...but in Willie Mosconi's own tape, "Mosconi's World of Pocket Billiards" (which I have) Willie states that he did not miss and that he just got tired and quit.

If he really did miss, his comment on this tape is quite disturbing. With an accomplishment of 526 balls, who in their right mind would feel a need to lie about it and say that they didn't miss and just quit. There is no way that Willie could have forgotten how the run ended.

From some of the other stories that I've heard or read about him, it wouldn't surprise me if he did tell a fib about it. From blaming a little kid in the stands for missing a shot and punching out a ref that called a foul on him, telling a fib about how the run ended wouldn't surprise me in the least...

Mr. J

Jeff Jimenez
Silver Member
Mosconi...

Since I was the one who started this thread long ago and the subject has been brought up again, perhaps some of you from the past and new ones from the present may enjoy the read....

Mr. J.