Mosconi's only hustle and other stories.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I just stumbled on the Sports Illustrated Vault while looking up something online. There's some cool old stories in there.
Y'all should give it a read sometime.

One I liked: http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1129513/index.htm

Even back in 1955, people talked about the decline of popularity in pool and its "image problems", which had already been around a long time. I guess we can't blame The Hustler or TCOM for making pool look like the sport of bums and con artists.

Also worth reading is the story of Mosconi's only hustle:
Mosconi says he has never been a hustler himself. Except once, he reflected last week, when the New York restaurateur Toots Shor persuaded him to pull a little con on Jackie Gleason (who was later to be a star of The Hustler). Posing as a Philadelphia dress manufacturer named Shuman, Mosconi gulled Gleason out of $100 in their first game and in the second ran 75 balls right-handed and then 75 left-handed to flatten Jackie's ego as well as his wallet.

(from http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1078494/index.htm )

Just search for stuff like mosconi, billiards, etc. There's good stuff going back 50 years+
 
I just stumbled on the Sports Illustrated Vault while looking up something online. There's some cool old stories in there.
Y'all should give it a read sometime.

One I liked: http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1129513/index.htm

Even back in 1955, people talked about the decline of popularity in pool and its "image problems", which had already been around a long time. I guess we can't blame The Hustler or TCOM for making pool look like the sport of bums and con artists.

Also worth reading is the story of Mosconi's only hustle:


(from http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1078494/index.htm )

Just search for stuff like mosconi, billiards, etc. There's good stuff going back 50 years+

I think the game with Gleason was mentioned in Willie's Game. I had heard something to this effect before the book came out but not the details.
 
Pushout...I don't know if it was mentioned in Willie's book, but it definitely was mentioned in R.A. Dyer's excellent book, The Hustler & The Champ.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I think the game with Gleason was mentioned in Willie's Game. I had heard something to this effect before the book came out but not the details.
 
Back
Top