Moving to Jacksonville, FL - need a table mechanic to install my Diamond and new cloth. Also looking for decent places to play, APA and otherwise.

Twocylndr

Amazing to me how my original post looking for a table mechanic and recommendations of places to play in my new city turned in to something so much different. What a shame.
Sorry off topic but, Good for you getting out of the Peoples Repubik of Illinois!!!
I had the chance several years ago but declined the offer.
I was stationed at Mayport, many, many years ago. Should be lotsa of action at Jax Beach with all the squids on liberty.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The sad part is that is is exactly what I asked for. A high quality mechanic to install my table and decent places to play. It seemed like a simple request and turned into a shit show of sorts.

I was trying to find a top qualtiy mechanic to install my table in Jacksonville, and I still have no idea. The thread got way off topic. I'm sorry for that.

Thanks for the input I did get though, it was helpful. I'm encouraged that I will have many options about places to play. I currently play on 5 APA teams a week and would like to continue to play at that frequency.
Try calling QBall, Park Ave, or 9 Ball Heaven and see who they use for a mechanic. Maybe if they have an inhouse guy they'd want to make money on the side. Otherwise you probably would have gotten a local suggestion by now instead of for people hundreds of miles away.

Only other place not mentioned that I have heard of is maybe Home Arcade a couple of lights down from QBall (https://homearcades.com/services/pool-cue-repair/). At one point in time someone had said David Howard was with them but not sure.

Also see if Perfect Rack on Edgewood does APA. Not a large place but in fairly hopping neighborhood by JAX standards.

tg_vegas

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Finally got to connect in Florida. Went to 9-Ball Heaven last night and watched the Friday APA league stuff and a 10-ball tourney. Mixed feelings about the venue but there were some VERY talented shooters. I watched one guy win the lag and go 45 balls before he missed, only to lose in the end.

RKC - thanks for the connect on Tony Crosby and time on the phone. I ended up ordering a Diamond Pro-Am 9' and light from him last week. Super stoked to get it!

I'm still not sure where I want to call "home" for a place to play. The atmosphere at 9-Ball Heaven wasn't my style, too many drunks and crazy loud. I'll keep looking into others suggested by you all. Thanks for the input!

owll

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Finally got to connect in Florida. Went to 9-Ball Heaven last night and watched the Friday APA league stuff and a 10-ball tourney. Mixed feelings about the venue but there were some VERY talented shooters. I watched one guy win the lag and go 45 balls before he missed, only to lose in the end.

RKC - thanks for the connect on Tony Crosby and time on the phone. I ended up ordering a Diamond Pro-Am 9' and light from him last week. Super stoked to get it!

I'm still not sure where I want to call "home" for a place to play. The atmosphere at 9-Ball Heaven wasn't my style, too many drunks and crazy loud. I'll keep looking into others suggested by you all. Thanks for the input!
Tony's a good guy, and a real good player too.

8-ball Rat

I'll eat you alive.....
Silver Member
I went to QBall Billiards yesterday, for a few hours. Place was pretty clean, table I was on played pretty well, and the staff was very polite/attentive. Bartender said they have multiple league/tourney events each week.

It was fairly quiet in there. Only time it got loud was when the Jags did something really good...or really bad. 🤣

HIGHLY recommend their Cajun Ranch wings and onion rings!!!

I bounce all over the country, and try to hit up at least one pool hall in every spot. I'd give QBall a solid 7/10.

Reactions: bbb

tg_vegas

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I went to QBall Billiards yesterday, for a few hours. Place was pretty clean, table I was on played pretty well, and the staff was very polite/attentive. Bartender said they have multiple league/tourney events each week.

It was fairly quiet in there. Only time it got loud was when the Jags did something really good...or really bad. 🤣

HIGHLY recommend their Cajun Ranch wings and onion rings!!!

I bounce all over the country, and try to hit up at least one pool hall in every spot. I'd give QBall a solid 7/10.

Did you go to the one in Jacksonville proper or the new QBall in Jax Beach?

tg_vegas

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Jacksonville, proper.

Q Ball Billiards
(904) 997-8222

https://g.co/kgs/6WJx2A
I haven't tried that one yet. I did go to the Jax Beach one last Friday night and it was a ghost town. Probably 12 open tables out of about 20 at 9:30pm. on a Friday. Nice Diamond tables though but they had the LED rectangular lights that were so f'ing bright you almost needed sunglasses. Really distracting. I played for about an hour on a 9' with that type of light and hated it. I went with Diamond's light for my new table as a direct result. I'm worried that Jacksonville does not seem to have the pool community that we have in the Chicago suburbs, I'm leaving a lot of friends but don't see the same "community" feel that I have here. We'll see. Perhaps I just haven't found the right venue yet.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The sad part is that is is exactly what I asked for. A high quality mechanic to install my table and decent places to play. It seemed like a simple request and turned into a shit show of sorts.

I was trying to find a top qualtiy mechanic to install my table in Jacksonville, and I still have no idea. The thread got way off topic. I'm sorry for that.

Thanks for the input I did get though, it was helpful. I'm encouraged that I will have many options about places to play. I currently play on 5 APA teams a week and would like to continue to play at that frequency.
Put your big boy pants on!!!

Last edited:

GoldCrown

Pool players have more balls
Gold Member
Silver Member
Welcome to social media and AZB.... it's the norm

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Quoting this post might be a better summary of the thread.

VonRhett

Friends Call Me "von"
Silver Member
was burden, The Billiard Fitter , from Tampa. doesn't get any better than him.
When my Diamond was installed and needed some tune-up, Greg from Diamond said that Wes was the ONLY Certified Diamond Mechanic
in FL. Last I knew, Tony C was not Certified; doesn't mean he can't install yours, he's done countless installations. But why not get the best?

GoldCrown

Pool players have more balls
Gold Member
Silver Member
When my Diamond was installed and needed some tune-up, Greg from Diamond said that Wes was the ONLY Certified Diamond Mechanic
in FL. Last I knew, Tony C was not Certified; doesn't mean he can't install yours, he's done countless installations. But why not get the best?
Wes was not 100% on my table
T. Crosby does not install (I believe).. I'd check on that. I think his crew comes out but not him personally.

tg_vegas

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I'm a bit confused at this point.

Some say absolutely NO to Wes and YES to Tony only, some say the opposite, some say Tony isn't certified, some say he is. I'm not all that concerned about "certified", I'm more focused on talent and results. I just want the best install I can get for an $11K+ table, since I don't know either of these guys, I have no way to judge.

Tony was great through the ordering process and since I am many months out before I'll see the table, I guess we'll see how it goes. RKC recommended Tony's company for this buy so I just went with that.

Last edited: