My 100 Best Pictures of 2013

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
is that a nikon in your avatar

Yes and if I had to guess, I'd say it's a D300.

I'm currently still using my D80. I just picked up a Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 lens and it's awesome for right at/under $200!

jaetee

rack master ;)
Silver Member
Awesome shots! Thanks for posting the link.

I was an early adopter for the D90, bought it with the 18-105mm VR lens (love it!) I also have the 35mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8, and 85mm 1.8 for ambient low light shooting. D90 is still so good that I haven't had the itch to upgrade bodies. Would love to pick up one of those 200-400mm F4 lenses! Awesome piece of glass!

I keep my old Canon 20D around as a spare with a handful of lenses because that camera was so good to me. Moved to Nikon for the ability to occasionally shoot video. Was able to get the D90 kit for less than half the price of the Canon 5D mkII at the time. Fell in love with the Nikon and haven't looked back.

I use Metz flash (when I need one) that works great with both bodies. ;)

Shot this pic of Lewis Hamilton hitting the wall at Nurburgring with the 20D (ended up selling the rights to Darren Heath, pro F1 photographer): Hamilton Shunt

5am

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Impressive....every one of them...my favorite, however, is the one of Shane breaking.

jpparmentier

AZB Artist
Silver Member
Team AzB
Yes and if I had to guess, I'd say it's a D300.

I'm currently still using my D80. I just picked up a Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 lens and it's awesome for right at/under $200!

Yes it is a Nikon, but not a D300. It's a D3s with a 24/70 2.8 on it.

I've used this body since january 2010 and will soon retire it for the D4s.

It seems to have improved enough from the D4 to be worth the switch.

jpparmentier

AZB Artist
Silver Member
Team AzB
Awesome work.

BTW, I have to chuckle, just a little...you are the first photographer I've encountered that uses the term "pictures". I have a close friend who is a photographer locally, and I quickly learned not to use that term. :p

Thank you for sharing them with us. They are fantastic.

Thanks for your comment :)

Well, I do use the term "picture" on purpose. I've started by drawing when I was a kid and worked my way to photography through digital graphics. I've never owned a film camera and never will.

Half of my work is shooting the pics, the other half is editing. When I shoot, I'm never done 100%. I need to edit to get what I really want.

So in the end, these are not 100% photos, but pictures. I hope I'm making myself clear. I could try it in French, or German :grin:

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I guess that I should start wearing my glasses. Up until that post, I always thought he was leaning on a cue case.

jpparmentier

AZB Artist
Silver Member
Team AzB
Shot this pic of Lewis Hamilton hitting the wall at Nurburgring with the 20D (ended up selling the rights to Darren Heath, pro F1 photographer): Hamilton Shunt

WOW!

Thanks for posting this pic :)

Comments of fellow photographers are always welcome. Yes the D90 is a very good body. It is essentially a D300 in a slightly weaker body. I still own and use a D300 for a few shots because of the DX format's reach.

The 200-400 is amazing because it's very, very sharp. I had used the 300 2.8 in the past and I didn't really like having no zoom so close to the action. A player walks a few feet and you lose every option to frame what you need.
I was worried about the 200-400 being "only" f4 but with the D3s it's not a problem. the ISOs settings are beyond the usual ones we're used to.

The combination of both is just what I needed to refresh my view from the 70-200 work I'm used to.

I'm hoping to get a D4 for the Derby, then on to the D4s later in the year. I've finally decided to drop the D3s for good after 4 years of service :)

Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes it is a Nikon, but not a D300. It's a D3s with a 24/70 2.8 on it.

I've used this body since january 2010 and will soon retire it for the D4s.

It seems to have improved enough from the D4 to be worth the switch.

A few years ago, when the D3 came out, I decided to downsize from a D2x, to the D700. I'm not a working pro, and thought the smaller body would be nice for traveling. And it is. But I really do miss my full size pro body camera. Something about it just "feels" right to me. Practically speaking, it doesn't make sense. But for peace of mind, I just may have to move back to the D4 series. Crazy...

Anyway, you really do have a fabulous collection of pictures on your site. Simply brilliant. Well done!!

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank you for allowing people who do not use Facebook to view your pictures.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member

Well, I do use the term "picture" on purpose. I've started by drawing when I was a kid and worked my way to photography through digital graphics. I've never owned a film camera and never will.

Half of my work is shooting the pics, the other half is editing. When I shoot, I'm never done 100%. I need to edit to get what I really want.

So in the end, these are not 100% photos, but pictures. I hope I'm making myself clear. I could try it in French, or German :grin:

I knew there was a language disparity from the get go, I just found the phrase usage interesting. Given what little I know of real photographers here...

You could translate it into a dozen different languages and it wouldn't make a difference to me, I'm a dumb 'merrican, with no real world exposure. Still, I really enjoy your photo's-er, work.

Thanks again for sharing it with us.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I recently did a project about photographers, old-school photographers who used film and the new kids on the block who are digital. Then there are those who refused to change from film to digital and those who did and would never look back. :grin:

The photographers take literally thousands of pictures in order to get that one perfect shot. Steve McCurry who did the Afghan Girl won an award for that one epic photograph, but he took thousands and thousands.

My favorite photographer today is a wildlife photographer: Nick Nichols. I love this man's work.

Me, I'm still shooting with a 5-year-old Olympus digital camera, cost 100 bucks. :embarrassed2:

Today, there is so much out there to capture that "perfect" photo. Here is a drone camera used to capture the behavior of animals in the wild that Nick Nichols used.

Much respect to the pro photographers. In order to get that one shot, again, they must literally shoot thousands. ;)

Attachments

• Nick-Nichols-field-test-photo-950x633.jpg
    Nick-Nichols-field-test-photo-950x633.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 98

voiceofreason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi everyone, and first of all Happy new year!

I've setup a facebook page to show some of my pictures. I've never really liked the concept of having to "friend" people to show them my art. So now, everybody's happy, you just can "like" my page to see my pictures and updates.

https://www.facebook.com/jpparmentiercom

There will only be a few pictures, not thousands like on AZB of course. But as we're in the process of working on a few things on the site (such as a proper "Photos" section) it's the best place for me to share my thoughts and my schedule with a wide audience.

Thanks for sharing, and keeping my sponsors and partners happy.

Have a great 2014! I'll see you guys around a pool table I hope :) Don't hesitate to introduce yourselves and chat with me!

that is a quality set of picks!

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
Those are some incredible photos. I especially love all the moments where you captured the essence of competitive pool with all the emotional highs and lows that come with it.