My aggressive one pocket break for short side spots

maxeypad2007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is a little something I picked up over the years. Some of you have probably seen this before...others maybe not. I'm not world class one pocket player, but i've observed a lot of one hole over the years and pushed em around a little myself for a few bones.

In one pocket it is common to get a spot either on the long side (9-12) or short side (7-10). When getting a spot on the short side, usually when you are clearly outmatched you are going to be going to a lower score than normal in the game. This break is extremely aggressive and needs to be practiced in order for it to be really effective.

http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AALW4BCpA3...VCpA3eFSe3eWCR3eYve1kXFV4kDuq4kcFc4kOga1uBnA@

CueTable Help



Basically you are hitting the cueball with medium low english and hitting the third row ball on the left side breaking for the right hand pocket full. You are stroking to basically get enough speed to move the balls enough to get a ball into the pocket and draw just slightly off the side rail. You are playing the corner ball off the rack and drawing over for position.

As you have probably guessed the rack is going to be opened up quite a bit and sometimes you even make a ball in your opponents pocket. Who really cares if you are much more likely to make one on the break in a shorter run (short side vs long side). I use this a lot when I get 7-9 or 7-10 or 6-10 (rare unless the person is unreal or stupid).

The idea here is to make a ball in your hole or play so many balls in front of your hole that there is no way to realistically turn the game around before you can run through the short race.

Another thing here is to look for spaces in certan areas of the rack: namely the back four balls on the corner of the opposite side you are breaking for. Look for spaces so you can cut that back ball a little bit more toward the hole and cut back on the speed, but add more english for "pinch" and you will make the back right corner ball in your hole with an amazing amount of consistency.

Practice this break over and over until you can make that ball or look for those favorable spaces that I was talking about and you'll find that your short spot will quickly need to be adjusted in almost any game that you have a chance at on a spot.

I find this also to be an exceptionally strong break on tables that do not have extremely tight pockets because a lot of times the ball on the right side will sit in the jaws after the break vs falling on extremely tight tables. This also goes for the ball that sometimes goes in your opponents pocket. This sounds much worse than actually is which once you practice the break you will see what I'm talking about.

This week i'll be posting me a video of me shooting this break 10-15 times so you can get an idea of how the table looks after the break on a 9' diamond smart table.
 
I'm not sure about this one

I'm not sure about this one...but I'm still interested in seeing your video. Sometimes from unconventional thinking comes mind numbing results.

Does anyone here use the side rail kick break? I don't but when I first started playing the game I saw a few people try it on me.

Nick
 
Nick B said:
Does anyone here use the side rail kick break? I don't but when I first started playing the game I saw a few people try it on me.

Nick

Gypsy break? I use it for cheap games, especially if I've got a partner I want to torture. There's usually one ball that comes off towards the opponent's pocket but if you hit hard enough, that ball gets driven to the long rail past the CB.

Fun to use, but definitely not for a serious game. Personally I'd rather sell out a ball with 4 within a diamond of my pocket than scratch... which I do a lot with the traditional break.
 
Side rail kick

Nick B said:
I'm not sure about this one...but I'm still interested in seeing your video. Sometimes from unconventional thinking comes mind numbing results.

Does anyone here use the side rail kick break? I don't but when I first started playing the game I saw a few people try it on me.

Nick
I played a guy that used the side rail kick once in a while. If you can stick to the high side of the 3rd ball in rack, it is effective. This puts balls in front of your hole and freezez opponent to the stack at the same time. But, if cueball hits lower side of 3rd ball, the cueball drifts toward end rail leaving an easy answer to this break.
 
pagulayan did it to reyes in 2006 i think it was at the start of the 2nd game so it definitely works.
 
Danktrees said:
pagulayan did it to reyes in 2006 i think it was at the start of the 2nd game so it definitely works.

Yeah, but most {read ALL} of us ain't Alex! I'd like to here what Grady has to say about this one, or Freddy or Jay. Looks like a sell out, to me.
 
side kick break

Pushout said:
Yeah, but most {read ALL} of us ain't Alex! I'd like to here what Grady has to say about this one, or Freddy or Jay. Looks like a sell out, to me.
I play on a 5x10 and use it all the time, I can stick the cue ball frozen to the stack most of the time. A lot of my players are starting to use it.
Its hard to escape and sometimes they will take a foul.
Of course you have to hit it as good as any shot. Some don't like it ,but different strokes for different folks...LES
 
About 5 years ago there was a handicapped one pocket league here in NYC. I remember a match between Ginky and MGM (a local player). Ginky had to spot MGM 14-7. In the first game MGM won. In the second game, Ginky used the second ball 8-ball break, made a ball and scattered the other balls around the table. He then went 14 and out on the guy, including several long table banks.
 
PIRANHA said:
I play on a 5x10 and use it all the time, I can stick the cue ball frozen to the stack most of the time.LES

Then I could see it. The op shows the cue coming out from the side rail, not sticking to the pack. If it does stick, you may not have a shot even if you do make one on the break. Might be hard to play safe from there, depending on how the balls are laying. Good shot if you don't make one.
 
Last edited:
I have seen Buddy Hall ( And several other great players ) use the break to split the 4th and 5th ball.

This break, while not as offensively effective, will almost NEVER sell out, and WILL get balls in front of your hole. It makes the corner ball impossible to leak out, and if you feel froggy, you can play the cue ball all the way downtable to the bottom rail.

This break makes your opponent make a long, tough safe shot at the beginning of every rack, and those don't always work out.
 
Yes this isn't good in most games and I only use it in a lopsided handicap situation, but overall its quite strong to be honest in the scenario I described.
 
Koopa said:
Gypsy break? I use it for cheap games, especially if I've got a partner I want to torture. There's usually one ball that comes off towards the opponent's pocket .


Here's the best scenario for using the rail first break and this is also also a strong matching up tip........If you have a regular game with a guy that spots you a ball, try to get him to instead play you even, 8 to 8, but you get to move any ball after each break and spot it......Then you can use this break and be able to spot up his corner ball if it sells out......And on his break, moving a ball is strong - you can escape the after-break-trap, and often times you can create an offensive shot for yourself and turn the break around......This spot may even be equal to 10 to 8 - I'd like to hear Billy, SJDick, Freddy, or Grady give their opinion of exactly what this spot is equal to in balls.

- Ghost
 
Last edited:
1 Pocket Ghost said:
Here's the best scenario for using the rail first break and this is also also a strong matching up tip........If you have a regular game with a guy that spots you a ball, try to get him to instead play you even, 8 to 8, but you get to move any ball after each break and spot it......Then you can use this break and be able to spot up his corner ball if it sells out......And on his break, moving a ball is strong - you can escape the after-break-trap, and often times you can create an offensive shot for yourself and turn the break around......This spot may even be equal to 10 to 8 - I'd like to hear Billy, SJDick, Freddy, or Grady give their opinion of exactly what this spot is equal to in balls.

- Ghost
This seems like a very interesting spot,I will try to get it or give it next time I match up. :cool:
 
Fast Lenny said:
This seems like a very interesting spot,I will try to get it or give it next time I match up. :cool:


Lenny........You should get this spot rather than give it.....If you have anybody that you play that spots you one ball, see if he'll give you this spot instead.....If this proposed game ever happens, let me know the results.

- Ghost
 
1 Pocket Ghost said:
Lenny........You should get this spot rather than give it.....If you have anybody that you play that spots you one ball, see if he'll give you this spot instead.....If this proposed game ever happens, let me know the results.

- Ghost
I will let you know but I might prefer to give someone this instead of a ball and the break but who knows until I try it out. :grin:
 
Back
Top