My experience dealing with a well known cue maker

LACthe3rd

Update!!

I was on the fence about a transaction I had with Mike Bender. The reason I was on the fence was because I’m not a person who goes online and complains or tries to ruin anyone’s reputation but I guess there’s a first for everything. You can check any other online profile I have and I don’t post much of anything. I usually stay away from the people I’ve had bad experiences with but this time I have to say something especially since everyone has come to a general consensus on this.

I sent out a cue to Mike to have a repair, refinish, and a new shaft made in the beginning of February 2023. I was told the cue would be back to me in 3 months which is fair because the repair was substantial, and he most likely had other stuff he was working on. So, 4 months go by with no communication, and I finally text him June 1st. He told me he had not started on it and would get to it next week.

So, I didn't bug him because I didn't need the cue until November as I was going to give the cue away. Another 5 months go by again with no communication, and I checked back in with him in October and let him know I needed it done before November 4th which he said it would be done. A few days later I send him the payment and I eventually get my cue however once I opened the package and I realized the finish was cracked so I immediately text him with pictures and he says to send it back so he can refinish it again. Of course, I ask him when I could expect to have the cue back and he says before Christmas.

Christmas passes and I text him in the beginning of January and get no response. A few days later I give him a call and he can't talk but at least tells me that he's started on it, and it should be done next week. Once again, I don't bother him because at this point I no longer need the cue since I had to give the person who was the receive the cue a different gift. Another 4 more months go by with no communication and I reach out to finally hear that he is going to ship the cue out but of course that was delayed by two weeks, but the cue made it June 2024.

Here's the part that pisses me off the most, when I ordered the shaft, it was supposed to be 30 inches and I paid a few dollars extra for a precision tip, but I didn't get either of those things. He sent a 29-inch shaft with a wizard tip. Also, the finish was lifting in a few spots but at this point I was not going to reach out because the last thing I wanted to do was deal with this person. After all was said and done, I waited a year and 5 months for an unacceptable product. I could have been harsher about all the delays, but I was trying to be a good customer and not bug this person every other week. In his defense I totally could have reached back out to him about to see if he would rectify the mistakes he made but why would I after all that nonsense?

I want to thank everyone who gave a useful opinion/ advice. This is the experience I had dealing with Mike Bender and it’s unfortunate because until I had this experienced, I thought he was this amazing cue maker who was talented enough to have a cue in the Smithsonian. The reality of the situation is he has no communication and will not adhere to the timeline he initially gives. As you can see, I was as patient as could be but I would be doing everyone a disservice if he’s not named. For those who would like to come to his defense and say well he must have had stuff going on, that’s a completely fair point however it doesn’t take but two seconds to send a text letting me know. I would have been completely okay had he just kept me updated but he didn’t.

For those who are thinking about doing any kind of business with Mike, just consider my experience. I’m not saying don’t go to him but if you do, this might be some of the stuff you’ll have to deal with.

Screenshot and Photos

Last edited:

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
Yeah+well+she+deserves+to+be+hated+stupid+bitch+was+_c13c5226ecbe22f0e8ec68d82e8ccc62.jpg

DeeDeeCues

I am on the fence about a transaction I had with a well-known cue maker. I know this happens all too often, but I wanted to hear some fellow AZBer's opinions on this. For now, this cue maker will remain unnamed. I sent out a cue to have a repair, refinish, and a new shaft made in the beginning of February 2023. I was told the cue would be back to me in 3 months which is fair because the repair was substantial, and he most likely had other stuff he was working on. So, 4 months go by with no communication, and I finally text him June 1st. He told me he had not started on it and would get to it next week.

So, I didn't bug him because I didn't need the cue until November as I was going to give the cue away. Another 5 months go by again with no communication, and I checked back in with him in October and let him know I needed it done before November 4th which he said it would be done. A few days later I send him the payment and I eventually get my cue however once I opened the package and I realized the finish was cracked so I immediately text him with pictures and he says to send it back so he can refinish it again. Of course, I ask him when I could expect to have the cue back and he says before Christmas.

Christmas passes and I text him in the beginning of January and get no response. A few days later I give him a call and he can't talk but at least tells me that he's started on it, and it should be done next week. Once again, I don't bother him because at this point I no longer need the cue since I had to give the person who was the receive the cue a different gift. Another 4 more months go by with no communication and I reach out to finally hear that he is going to ship the cue out but of course that was delayed by two weeks, but the cue made it June 2024.

Here's the part that pisses me off the most, when I ordered the shaft, it was supposed to be 30 inches and I paid a few dollars extra for a precision tip, but I didn't get either of those things. He sent a 29-inch shaft with a wizard tip. Also, the finish was lifting in a few spots but at this point I was not going to reach out because the last thing I wanted to do was deal with this person. After all was said and done, I waited a year and 5 months for an unacceptable product and one sentence apology text 😂. I could have been harsher about all the delays, but I was trying to be a good customer and not bug this person every other week not that it would have made a difference. What are your thoughts? Sorry for the rant.

Post photos and names.

RafaReyes

Super Rafa
Silver Member
What's even the purpose of this post if you don't name the party responsible for awful service, and potentially saving other future customers from similar experience?

I mean that's the purpose of participating in this community providing feedback, answers, advice, bad and good experiences, etc.

Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

DeeDeeCues

What's even the purpose of this post if you don't name the party responsible for awful service, and potentially saving other future customers from similar experience?

I mean that's the purpose of participating in this community providing feedback, answers, advice, bad and good experiences, etc.

Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

This is true. The review is well written and refrains from personal attacks. Others should have that info before dealing with the maker.

The flip side is that it also benefits the cuemaker who do better.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am on the fence about a transaction I had with a well-known cue maker. I know this happens all too often, but I wanted to hear some fellow AZBer's opinions on this. For now, this cue maker will remain unnamed. I sent out a cue to have a repair, refinish, and a new shaft made in the beginning of February 2023. I was told the cue would be back to me in 3 months which is fair because the repair was substantial, and he most likely had other stuff he was working on. So, 4 months go by with no communication, and I finally text him June 1st. He told me he had not started on it and would get to it next week.

Here's the part that pisses me off the most, when I ordered the shaft, it was supposed to be 30 inches and I paid a few dollars extra for a precision tip, but I didn't get either of those things. He sent a 29-inch shaft with a wizard tip. Also, the finish was lifting in a few spots but at this point I was not going to reach out because the last thing I wanted to do was deal with this person. After all was said and done, I waited a year and 5 months for an unacceptable product and one sentence apology text 😂. I could have been harsher about all the delays, but I was trying to be a good customer and not bug this person every other week not that it would have made a difference. What are your thoughts? Sorry for the rant.
Flame him.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In a court of law what the op posted is called 'hearsay' and its not allowed. Shouldn't be here either, either post names/pics or walk away.
It isn't hearsay if he is telling what happened "in his own words". That is the opposite of hearsay.

What we need is evidence.
Picture of the work ect.

I'd never ship a cue to one of these guys. I did alot of work with Dan Dishaw in person who I know, paid whatever he asked and left the work to his timetable. He is an artist and told me one day when he didnt feel like working on something that day, he didn't because that is when he would not work to his standards. I see the same in my home improvement jobs.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
While it's shady/shifty I can understand cuemaker time, it's kind of a joke, but some just can't get their shit together. Some you have to ding about it weekly, I try to avoid folks like that. You shouldn't promise if you can't deliver. If I knew I could finish in 6 months, I'd quote a year just to be safe. Under promise and over deliver.

I had some stuff fabricated on a chopper, told it would take 3 months and it took like 2.5 years. I only bothered them about once every month or two. It was always 2 weeks from being done.

As for it being 29", sure, that's an F up, but unless you gave him a chance to fix that, it's not really part of the grievance, other than showing they make mistakes.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
another reason for naming him is because there are a number of likely suspects , that are innocent, in peoples minds who may not get biz because of this thread

the right thing to do is put peoples mind at ease, may the chips fall where they may with the maker who didn't deliver and you'll feel better about yourself for doing the right thing

Reactions: bbb

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Is the tip maker the same as the cuebuilder? With that info, people could read into it and assume the wrong builder....or right builder.

Either way, it casts a shadow on that person.

GoldCrown

Pool players have more balls
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you got your cue back definitely leave your review. Post who you dealt with. Be accurate and direct. I personally would not hesitate. There’s a difference between a review and slander. Post pictures and that tells the story.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
name him and of course don't send anything back to him as he doesn't do what he says.
never have any money dealings with someone that does not honor his word or has a perfect reason and soon fixes it.

if you continue or do then it all on you and deserve what you get.

burn me once its on you. burn me twice its now on me.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Time for the big who dun it. The OP should have named him in the first post. Otherwise the members here might get treated as disrespectfully as the OP was treated.

Nothing new though as some very well known cue makers have gotten their asses exposed here.,

Another day another cue maker screws his client. Never hear of that with Predator, Mezz, Cuetec or any of the big production cue makers. It always seems to involve the custom cue makers.

GoldCrown

Pool players have more balls
Gold Member
Silver Member
Time for the big who dun it. The OP should have named him in the first post. Otherwise the members here might get treated as disrespectfully as the OP was treated.

Nothing new though as some very well known cue makers have gotten their asses exposed here.,

Another day another cue maker screws his client. Never hear of that with Predator, Mezz, Cuetec or any of the big production cue makers. It always seems to involve the custom cue makers.
Sly sneaky cured me. I should sent him a thank you gift certificate because I'll never have that aggravation again..Never again unless it's a finished cue and in person. Like you said..there's a ton of great production cues. If I need to have any work done I can't do it's going to Proficient Billiards.