My first tip install

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
Well the scary part is over. I am relieved and happy with the results of my first tip install. I hope I'm not being delusional, but I think it came out pretty well. Then again maybe I am about to get roasted.

I had a Kamui Clear Black tip. I have been happy with its general performance, but it keeps glazing over. It gets smooth as a baby's ass really fast. I finally got tired of the constant shaping and scuffing and decided to try a different tip. I ordered a couple of Thoroughbred Medium tips which came today. I got a second just in case I screwed up the first install. Fortunately all seems to have gone well, and I have a spare for the future. I like the look of the clear pad so I decided to keep it on.

I'll update later on how the tip performs after I play a few, but my first install using my DIY lathe seems to have gone well.

IMG_0987.JPG

IMG_0988 (Custom).JPG

IMG_0992.JPG

7CC21E2F-B1F5-4B9F-93A4-CBF19A917095.jpeg

Last edited:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I have a feeling your ferrule is a good deal smaller than the shaft, by the look of it, and probably by the amount of sanding you've done. I would go easy on that ferrule, though it will last for some time.

All the best,
WW

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
Kool stuff
I enjoy doing my own as well just got mine set-up for tips also
Thanks Texas,
I'm using my homemade lathe right now. It works well enough for maintenance and now tip install. Now that I am using it, I see how I would design it differently if I ever did it again. Rather than investing in adapting mine, I am leaning more towards getting a real one. I'm floating between one like yours or a Mid-American cue lathe.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
I have a feeling your ferrule is a good deal smaller than the shaft, by the look of it, and probably by the amount of sanding you've done. I would go easy on that ferrule, though it will last for some time.

All the best,
WW

Thanks for the feedback.
I didn't sand the ferrule at all. I actually wrapped it with painter's tape to protect it because I didn't trust myself enough.

IMG_0986.png

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
Good job! Use a little automotive wax and a strip of leather to burnish the sides and you'll be off and running. Let me know what you think of the tip.

Kelly
Owner of Thoroughbred Tips

Thank you. I appreciate your quick service. The tip looks great, can’t wait to try it out.

I did use Mako tip sealer wax. I don’t have a real piece of leather yet, so I just used my Q-Wiz. Do you think I should burnish it more?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you. I appreciate your quick service. The tip looks great, can’t wait to try it out.

I did use Mako tip sealer wax. I don’t have a real piece of leather yet, so I just used my Q-Wiz. Do you think I should burnish it more?
I know that's a real close-up but i'd buff the sides a bit more. Looks great overall. I love my T-bred tip.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
I know that's a real close-up but i'd buff the sides a bit more. Looks great overall. I love my T-bred tip.
Ok after melting my Q-Wiz, I found a real piece of leather and tried again. I replaced the last picture in the original post with an updated one.

gutshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Q-wiz is fine or even a paper towel. The reason I use leather is because it doesn't get the tip hot like a paper towel or dollar bill. I usually burnish it until the leather is shiny. Also, I typically cut the tip down to 4 layers showing on the sides. It's just personal preference, but I like the tip a little shorter to help prevent mushrooming. No sure why because I use a Medium Hard and they rarely mushroom. :ROFLMAO:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Q-wiz is fine or even a paper towel. The reason I use leather is because it doesn't get the tip hot like a paper towel or dollar bill. I usually burnish it until the leather is shiny. Also, I typically cut the tip down to 4 layers showing on the sides. It's just personal preference, but I like the tip a little shorter to help prevent mushrooming. No sure why because I use a Medium Hard and they rarely mushroom. :ROFLMAO:
My favorite tip on my Mezz is the med/hrd.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?

Maybe I squeezed it too hard, but it actually melted it off. The real leather worked good.

B318F030-46B0-4F80-BD95-01D4715DCF7C.jpeg

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
A side note. That is a nice clean looking build on the lathe. You can probably get back full cost of the materials, maybe a bit more, if you decide to buy something else. Then again, you might build something else after what you learned to suit you then sell this one.

Hu

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
Well... I just got home from trying out my newly installed Thoroughbred tip.

I thought it would be simple. Sunday is free pool, so why not go shoot a few racks and see how it feels? I walk in and find out they just started a locals tournament. I sign up, pay the entrance fee, get a beer, start watching the matches, and also start worrying how I will shoot with a new untried tip when it's my turn.

My match comes up and I'm playing an older gentleman that I later learn is nicknamed "The Assassin". I managed to make a couple, but that was it and I lost miserably. As I sat back down to cry in my beer, I began to think back on my bad shots. I made a kick shot that went wildly off course, and miscued giving ball him in hand. I first started to blame the tip of course. Then I started thinking about it. The kick went wild because the left I put on it really took hold more than I was used to. The miss cue was my fault because I was stretched out over the table and not comfortable, I should have used the bridge. The second game I won, and the third I lost because he put me behind his ball and I couldn't get to the eight.

I was starting to have doubts and beginning to wonder if I made a mistake with this tip. Once the tournament was over, and I could just get on the table and knock the balls around, I really got some better feedback on this tip.

I really believe I have a winner here!

I realized the ball was actually going where I was aiming, and when I used English it was spinning way more than before. It worked before, but now it was dramatically working. So much that I realized that was why I had some problems in the tournament. I was over doing it with my other tip just to get a little action, and with this tip it was amplifying the top, bottom, left, or right I put on it.

I know it was just one night, but I am feeling really positive about this tip's performance. I will update if things change, but right now I am giving this tip a giant thumbs up!

Last edited:

gutshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well... I just got home from trying out my newly installed Thoroughbred tip.

I thought it would be simple. Sunday is free pool, so why not go shoot a few racks and see how it feels? I walk in and find out they just started a locals tournament. I sign up, pay the entrance fee, get a beer, start watching the matches, and also start worrying how I will shoot with a new untried tip when it's my turn.

My match comes up and I'm playing an older gentleman that I later learn is nicknamed "The Assassin". I managed to make a couple, but that was it and I lost miserably. As I sat back down to cry in my beer, I began to think back on my bad shots. I made a kick shot that went wildly off course, and miscued giving ball him in hand. I first started to blame the tip of course. Then I started thinking about it. The kick went wild because the left I put on it really took hold more than I was used to. The miss cue was my fault because I was stretched out over the table and not comfortable, I should have used the bridge. The second game I won, and the third I lost because he put me behind his ball and I couldn't get to the eight.

I was starting to have doubts and beginning to wonder if I made a mistake with this tip. Once the tournament was over, and I could just get on the table and knock the balls around, I really got some better feedback on this tip.

I really believe I have a winner here!

I realized the ball was actually going where I was aiming, and when I used English it was spinning way more than before. It worked before, but now it was dramatically working. So much that I realized that was why I had some problems in the tournament. I was over doing it with my other tip just to get a little action, and with this tip it was amplifying the top, bottom, left, or right I put on it.

I know it was just one night, but I am feeling really positive about this tip's performance. I will update if things change, but right now I am giving this tip a giant thumbs up!
My advice to players new to the Thoroughbred tips is if you are normally used to using 2 tips of english on a shot, only use 1 tip of english to start. Most of the time that is all you will need. The only times I miscue is due to a poor stroke, stretched out or not chalking for several racks. Don't think about the tip, think about the shot. ;)