My first tip install

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
My advice to players new to the Thoroughbred tips is if you are normally used to using 2 tips of english on a shot, only use 1 tip of english to start. Most of the time that is all you will need. The only times I miscue is due to a poor stroke, stretched out or not chalking for several racks. Don't think about the tip, think about the shot. ;)
Should have a warning label, lol.
Once I got to play with it outside the pressure of the game I realized how well the english and draw was working. I was casually shooting and potting way more balls than before. I can't wait to really get some good practice with it.
Great weekend, I had a successful first tip install and a great new tip to boot.
Thanks.

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
Ok after melting my Q-Wiz, I found a real piece of leather and tried again. I replaced the last picture in the original post with an updated one.
Would you mind posting a side-by-side of the pics for a visual comparison?

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
Would you mind posting a side-by-side of the pics for a visual comparison?

IMG_0994.JPG

IMG_0999.JPG

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i have one (Thoroughbred tip) coming based on garczar's recommendation
thanks garczar... (y)
i use soft but bought some other hardness as well to try
i look forward to trying it out

Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very nice lathe, and tip install! 🍻

I love working on my own equipment (not just for pool, but everything else, too). Every once in a while I think about getting a dedicated lathe for putting on tips, but truthfully, I don't do enough of them to justify it. So, I just keep installing them the "old school way", by hand. :confused:

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
If you don't mind, can you provide more information on your tailstock?
yes, please do. i assume it's aliexpress / ebay stuff, but those sites can be jungles

I've called it Frankenstein's lathe before. I built from mostly ebay, amazon, home depot ( since I was allowed to go there for some reason).
I didn't find aliexpress until later.

I built the tailstock and tool holder with these parts from Amazon and Ebay. The bases are just made from aluminum flat bar and rods and oak from Home Depot.

These are commonly found on different sites. After shopping around I got the best deal at the time here:

Amazon
1621369600694.png

1621369558002.png

1621369214998.png

Ebay
1621370062215.png

1621369276123.png

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've called it Frankenstein's lathe before. I built from mostly ebay, amazon, home depot ( since I was allowed to go there for some reason).
I didn't find aliexpress until later.

I built the tailstock and tool holder with these parts from Amazon and Ebay. The bases are just made from aluminum flat bar and rods and oak from Home Depot.

These are commonly found on different sites. After shopping around I got the best deal at the time here:

Amazon
View attachment 595711

View attachment 595710

View attachment 595707

Ebay
View attachment 595712

View attachment 595708

I was wondering about the base, the ones I found were either short, or a bit on the pricier side specifically made for a lathe.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
I was wondering about the base, the ones I found were either short, or a bit on the pricier side specifically made for a lathe.

Yeah, it was difficult to find what I wanted. I did get this one from Amazon.
1621542521870.png

The t-nuts for this size track was impossible to find. I settled on some that are a little smaller than I wanted, but they worked well enough.

But now I see they have something that will also work. I wanted the kind I could lift out of the track without sliding it down to the end.

Last edited:

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
I've been using my new tip for a month, so here is the update I promised.

The tip needed reshaping during the first week of use. The second week only slightly. After that it has really held the shape very well with just minimal to no maintenance. After nearly a month of play I have barely had to do any major shaping like I had to do regularly on the old tip. It is holding the shape well, so I've mostly just tapped the surface now and then.

As for performance the Thoroughbred tip has way outperformed my old tip. I like the feel of the hit, and it definitely grabs the cue ball better. I have to be careful not hit like I used to out of habit, and put too much spin on the ball.

Still and A+ from me.

gutshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been using my new tip for a month, so here is the update I promised.

The tip needed reshaping during the first week of use. The second week only slightly. After that it has really held the shape very well with just minimal to no maintenance. After nearly a month of play I have barely had to do any major shaping like I had to do regularly on the old tip. It is holding the shape well, so I've mostly just tapped the surface now and then.

As for performance the Thoroughbred tip has way outperformed my old tip. I like the feel of the hit, and it definitely grabs the cue ball better. I have to be careful not hit like I used to out of habit, and put too much spin on the ball.

Still and A+ from me.
Glad you're still liking the tip.

Kelly

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
I have been enjoying my DIY Frankenstein lathe. It has been great for shaft cleaning and tip maintenance. I've installed a few tips on my own cues and have since ventured into installing tips on some of my friend's cues.

My original dream of doing more advanced work like ferrules were dashed upon the rocks. The runout is impossible to control or maintain. The experiments I tried on an old shaft were a disaster. It is fine for cleaning and tips, but that's about it. A guy on my league had a tip pop off and he asked me to put a new one on. Once I got it home, I saw the ferrule was loose, so I figure that was a major contributer to the tip popping off. The ferrule already had some bad gouges in it, but no cracks. The guy said it was just a cheap cue, and to just use it. I glued it back on and cleaned it up as best I could and installed the new tip. It will work until he is ready to get a better cue.

Is there a point to this? Yes, had I the right equipment I could have easily done more for the guy. After agonizing over it in my head I did what I knew I would do eventually all along. I put in an order for a Mid America Large Bore lathe. This was just the nudge (excuse) I needed. I've been wanting one since I did my first tip install. Besides the additional repair possibilities, I would like to try my hand at making some joint protectors too. I accept this is just a hobby expense and I will probably never re-coupe. We'll see where it goes...

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have been enjoying my DIY Frankenstein lathe. It has been great for shaft cleaning and tip maintenance. I've installed a few tips on my own cues and have since ventured into installing tips on some of my friend's cues.

My original dream of doing more advanced work like ferrules were dashed upon the rocks. The runout is impossible to control or maintain. The experiments I tried on an old shaft were a disaster. It is fine for cleaning and tips, but that's about it. A guy on my league had a tip pop off and he asked me to put a new one on. Once I got it home, I saw the ferrule was loose, so I figure that was a major contributer to the tip popping off. The ferrule already had some bad gouges in it, but no cracks. The guy said it was just a cheap cue, and to just use it. I glued it back on and cleaned it up as best I could and installed the new tip. It will work until he is ready to get a better cue.

Is there a point to this? Yes, had I the right equipment I could have easily done more for the guy. After agonizing over it in my head I did what I knew I would do eventually all along. I put in an order for a Mid America Large Bore lathe. This was just the nudge (excuse) I needed. I've been wanting one since I did my first tip install. Besides the additional repair possibilities, I would like to try my hand at making some joint protectors too. I accept this is just a hobby expense and I will probably never re-coupe. We'll see where it goes...

You are definite heading towards the dark side!(grin) Just wanted to talk a little about ferrules. I may have already said these things in this old thread but maybe worth repeating if so. I did an even gross of tip replacements for a pool hall. While many felt tight until I put pressure on them I was surprised to find roughly three-fourth of them had a layer of blue chalk between the ferrule and tenon. I believe softer ferrules act as a pump and suck the dust in when a cue ball is hit. I don't doubt that I missed more ferrules that should have been either cleaned and reglued or replaced.

I suspect that custom cues have ferrules that are a mixed bag, some acting as pumps, some not. Almost impossible to get a large sample size of custom cue ferrules like I got of the house cue ferrules in a few days. I believe many of the custom cues, particularly older ones, will have this layer of chalk inside them.

Hu

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
You are definite heading towards the dark side!(grin) Just wanted to talk a little about ferrules. I may have already said these things in this old thread but maybe worth repeating if so. I did an even gross of tip replacements for a pool hall. While many felt tight until I put pressure on them I was surprised to find roughly three-fourth of them had a layer of blue chalk between the ferrule and tenon. I believe softer ferrules act as a pump and suck the dust in when a cue ball is hit. I don't doubt that I missed more ferrules that should have been either cleaned and reglued or replaced.

I suspect that custom cues have ferrules that are a mixed bag, some acting as pumps, some not. Almost impossible to get a large sample size of custom cue ferrules like I got of the house cue ferrules in a few days. I believe many of the custom cues, particularly older ones, will have this layer of chalk inside them.

Hu
Thanks for the tip. His was clean at the tenon, so it cleaned up and went back on easy enough.

Looking forward to my new devil machine.

Do you have a recommendation for a supplier. As an amateur I don't need a wholesaler, just somewhere to order parts or supplies from as needed.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the tip. His was clean at the tenon, so it cleaned up and went back on easy enough.

Looking forward to my new devil machine.

Do you have a recommendation for a supplier. As an amateur I don't need a wholesaler, just somewhere to order parts or supplies from as needed.

I hate to duck but I prefer not to recommend a supplier. I have had bad luck dealing with some of the most well known in the industry and my favorite supplier is the most reviled on AZB! I haven't ordered anything in years anyway after most of my river of wood was lost during a hurricane. As a cue mechanic you will be made welcome on the cue builder forums on this site and the people there will be most up to date. A quick search of those forums will turn up some threads concerning suppliers and after a search questions will be welcomed. Buy things like elkmaster and triangle tips by the box, then measure them and sort by weight. Any that are extremely light I toss. The rest will fit into obvious groups and these I use. I had a few very heavy tips I wanted to test but they were lost before I got a chance to

The main thing is to buy quality, don't waste time trying to save a few cents or dollars. Your time is your most valuable commodity, that and your reputation. Cheap knock-offs and junk will cost far more than quality items when all things are considered!

I try to keep all of my of my orders over $100. If that is difficult, at least over fifty dollars. The odd order might be for less sometimes but when their time is considered suppliers lose money on those little five and ten dollar orders. Don't be the guy that always makes tiny orders and never plans ahead.

Hu

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
I hate to duck but I prefer not to recommend a supplier. I have had bad luck dealing with some of the most well known in the industry and my favorite supplier is the most reviled on AZB! I haven't ordered anything in years anyway after most of my river of wood was lost during a hurricane. As a cue mechanic you will be made welcome on the cue builder forums on this site and the people there will be most up to date. A quick search of those forums will turn up some threads concerning suppliers and after a search questions will be welcomed. Buy things like elkmaster and triangle tips by the box, then measure them and sort by weight. Any that are extremely light I toss. The rest will fit into obvious groups and these I use. I had a few very heavy tips I wanted to test but they were lost before I got a chance to

The main thing is to buy quality, don't waste time trying to save a few cents or dollars. Your time is your most valuable commodity, that and your reputation. Cheap knock-offs and junk will cost far more than quality items when all things are considered!

I try to keep all of my of my orders over $100. If that is difficult, at least over fifty dollars. The odd order might be for less sometimes but when their time is considered suppliers lose money on those little five and ten dollar orders. Don't be the guy that always makes tiny orders and never plans ahead.

Hu
Great advise, thanks. I believe I know of whom you speak. I've seen some posts.

I'll start digging around over there. I have lots to learn. I don't even know the real difference between the ferrule material (other than the obvious).