My first tip install

crocdoc

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Where can I purchase thoroughbred tips without using PayPal? My account was hacked.

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks Texas,
I'm using my homemade lathe right now. It works well enough for maintenance and now tip install. Now that I am using it, I see how I would design it differently if I ever did it again. Rather than investing in adapting mine, I am leaning more towards getting a real one. I'm floating between one like yours or a Mid-American cue lathe.
I let seyberts do mine, never been disappointed. They are a great outfit

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
I let seyberts do mine, never been disappointed. They are a great outfit

I totally understand the quality service someone like Seyberts will give, and I actually have a few options here in town as well. I just enjoy doing this kind of thing myself. I enjoy woodworking and some metalwork. I am certainly small scale with my workshop being in the spare room, but this is a hobby, so my projects are relatively small scale. Just think of all the money I will save on shipping, lol.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
Building my homemade lathe was a great distraction during the shutdown. In the end it worked for cleaning and tips. My dreams of it doing more were dashed upon the rocks when I tried to replace a ferrule on an old cue. Too much runout. I was at the crossroad of experimenting further to get it to work or just get one that already works. In other words, do I want to work on the lathe or work on the cues. I decided it was a good proof of concept that I liked working on the cues, so I ordered a new Mid America lathe.
Tada!
8D3C885F-396A-4940-A3EC-80231D775470.jpeg

Even though I don’t use them, all the house cues at my main hangout have slip on tips and they drive me crazy watching others use them. Now I see them as practice cues, so I asked the owner, and she gave me the go-ahead. I brought a couple home to fix.

Thought I was going to just pop the tips off, clean it up and put a new tip on. Nope, half the ferrule appeared to have been chopped off and there were big gouges cut into the shaft and ferrule. I assume the gouges may have been for gluing the slip tip on. I removed the ferrule and cut back the shaft to add more tenon for the new ferrule. Great learning experience.

Here is my first ferrule install on the new machine. I’m putting Triangle tips on the house cues.
Note: I forgot to take a picture of the original tip and the damaged ferrule and shaft underneath.

38A7FD91-0A5F-4FAB-A57E-F0500CCA6B78.jpeg

29C2F107-5BFF-41CB-86B3-7098C8ECDD34.jpeg

B5395769-0178-4668-A2A4-D847707F2E5E.jpeg

2DBDC77A-3A3C-4650-8B43-D2601D13A3EF.jpeg

45409AAD-669A-4788-A3A4-452D83FA1ED7.jpeg

Last edited:

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did the same thing at my local bar and did about 5 tips in exchange for one of the bar cues I liked. I went through the stack and picked the ones with the best ferulles so I didn't have to deal with it. I've done quite a few more tips than you though, so I had an idea of what to look out for.

For burnishing, I use a piece of wood. I work with leather also (wallets/belts/bags) and to burnish that leather you use a wooden slicker/burnishing tool, a leather tip, IMHO, should be no different. I use a small flat piece of wood and utilize the lathe bed as kind of a steady rest for the wood so it's easier to apply constant pressure.

Good luck in your endeavor's, I wish I had more time to work with my lathe.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
I didn't mean to say something derogatory just something that's more versatile and can actually do real machining. I deleted the post.
I don’t have a big dedicated workshop. I’m working in my spare room. This fits the space well and suits my needs for cue work and small projects like joint protectors. If down the road I find the ability to make a cue it can be done with this lathe.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don’t have a big dedicated workshop. I’m working in my spare room. This fits the space well and suits my needs for cue work and small projects like joint protectors. If down the road I find the ability to make a cue it can be done with this lathe.
Nice set up. But you’re making some of us look bad. Especially me…. You are too clean and organized. J/K.

Last edited:

middleofnowhere

Registered
I completely understand and this is at the current time just a hobby. To be honest for most guys who are making cues it's just a hobby.

I think my point was, that for the money spent often on somebody's Rube Goldberg type of setups, you could actually purchase a pretty nice used lathe that you could do a lot more work on with a lot more ease.

While I almost never go in it anymore, my little shop is 600 sq ft and there's six lathes in there along with other equipment. Believe me, in the beginning this was never the plan but it just seems to grow.

There is actually a buck or two to be made. Even if you're doing little more than jump cues, sneaky Pete's and some repair work.

Although on repair work even just putting on a tip you have to be competent. You're working on somebody else's cue. Building a cue in most cases is easier than repair work cuz if you mess something up you can just throw it in the trash.

Last edited:

chenjy9

Looks fantastic! Wish I could do stuff like that, but I have long accepted that I am technically deficient regarding usage and expertise when it comes to anything but the most basic of tools.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nice set up. But you’re making some of us look bad. Especially me…. You are too clean and organized. J/k.
Looks fantastic! Wish I could do stuff like that, but I have long accepted that I am technically deficient regarding usage and expertise when it comes to anything but the most basic of tools.
You can learn (only from the right people). Practice... make mistakes, ask questions, make corrections.... get started and it gets better. Don't think you cannot use your hands/head.

chenjy9

You can learn (only from the right people). Practice... make mistakes, ask questions, make corrections.... get started and it gets better. Don't think you cannot use your hands/head.

I have no doubt I can learn (albeit slowly and with much trial and error!) and I am sure there are many kind souls out there willing to show and teach. The problem is time. I have a limited amount of free time and various existing hobbies that I need to spread that time across. That's not to say that people who take the time to learn these skills have more free time than me, just that I tend to invest my time in different things. After I retire however, I definitely plan on taking up woodworking as a hobby.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have no doubt I can learn (albeit slowly and with much trial and error!) and I am sure there are many kind souls out there willing to show and teach. The problem is time. I have a limited amount of free time and various existing hobbies that I need to spread that time across. That's not to say that people who take the time to learn these skills have more free time than me, just that I tend to invest my time in different things. After I retire however, I definitely plan on taking up woodworking as a hobby.
I started late in life and will say it's never too late to begin anything. Just have fun and enjoy. Currently have more lathes and tools than brains.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
Nice set up. But you’re making some of us look bad. Especially me…. You are too clean and organized. J/K.
Maybe I get it from my Dad. His workroom and bench were in the basement and was always well organized. I was the master technician at the dive shop I owned years ago and found maintenance and repairs to be easier when all my tools were in their place. I am by no means OCD and will make a mess, but I do like to reset the space for each project. Plus I'm in a small space, so it can get out of hand quickly.

Here is my room (so far).
2CF8DA90-71DB-4B1B-9E20-6494FE071050.jpeg

One thing that helped de-clutter the lathe area was adding the drawers under it. The left is very shallow and I use it as a side extension. The small stuff can be right there for easy access like they are on the bench top, but I can close it up to get it out of the way. The other is deeper for bigger things, but still quickly accessible.

1648655174136.png

Note: I cheated to make the deeper drawer easier and cheaper I went to the thrift shop and bought a serving tray for $5 and slapped some rails on it. Now I have a custom drawer signed by Julia Childs.

EA2FC0BD-8E40-41F9-8C8F-E3F671A77911.jpeg

Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Maybe I get it from my Dad. His workroom and bench were in the basement and was always well organized. I was the master technician at the dive shop I owned years ago and found maintenance and repairs to be easier when all my tools were in their place. I am by no means OCD and will make a mess, but I do like to reset the space for each project. Plus I'm in a small space, so it can get out of hand quickly.

Here is my room (so far).
View attachment 629157

One thing that helped de-clutter the lathe area was adding the drawers under it. The left is very shallow and I use it as a side extension. The small stuff can be right there for easy access like they are on the bench top, but I can close it up to get it out of the way. The other is deeper for bigger things, but still quickly accessible.

Note: I cheated to make the deeper drawer easier and cheaper I went to the thrift shop and bought a serving tray for $5 and slapped some rails on it. Now I have a custom drawer signed by Julia Childs.

View attachment 629159
What are you using for dust extraction? Room looks great.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
I completely understand and this is at the current time just a hobby. To be honest for most guys who are making cues it's just a hobby.

I think my point was, that for the money spent often on somebody's Rube Goldberg type of setups, you could actually purchase a pretty nice used lathe that you could do a lot more work on with a lot more ease.

While I almost never go in it anymore, my little shop is 600 sq ft and there's six lathes in there along with other equipment. Believe me, in the beginning this was never the plan but it just seems to grow.

There is actually a buck or two to be made. Even if you're doing little more than jump cues, sneaky Pete's and some repair work.

Although on repair work even just putting on a tip you have to be competent. You're working on somebody else's cue. Building a cue in most cases is easier than repair work cuz if you mess something up you can just throw it in the trash.

When I started the last of my kids was still living here. I made a little workspace in the dining area. Next thing I knew I had a drill press and saws in there. As soon as she moved out almost a year ago, I moved into her room. I would love a real workshop, but not possible. At least my limited space will help limit my spending.