People are different and the above was an example of the two ends of the scale. I started this thread for two different reasons. First is obviously self-gratification. I am proud of my accomplishment and want to share it with others. Second to show others what can be done with some simple exploration. Sure, we know our general limitations, but you never really know till you try. When I was a scuba instructor, I taught people that were terrified of water, paraplegic, and even a blind man. Picked up a book and learned how to program a computer and here I am working as a programmer. I don't mind trying things out to see where it may lead, but I also understand sometimes you don't have the interest to do some things so it is easier to pay someone else to do it so you can focus your time on something you do care about. It might not be worth the trouble for some people, and I'm in that boat sometimes as well. I find the quest can be as much fun as the end result. I don't like to fail but learning from it and then prevailing over it is very satisfying.
OK That said here is my saga update.
With no idea what I was doing I decided to make a lathe so I could fix an old shaft I wanted to hang on the wall. Totally illogical reasoning, but I knew I could go further if it worked. After a few failures along the way, I partially succeeded by building a lathe that works great for cleaning and tips. It is marginal for turning things like tenons and ferrules, although possible, there is too much room for error. After getting this taste I decided I liked it enough to just get a proven lathe rather than starting over with a new build. Hobbies can be expensive, but I'm enjoying this one, so I got my new Mid America lathe as shown earlier in the thread and my DIY lathe got unplugged and set in the corner.
Now that I have been using the Mid America for a while, I got to thinking about how to make the workspace better and this process got me thinking about incorporating the DIY lathe into my workstation and plug it back in. Without a bed extension on the Mid America, I do have to move the headstock and motor back and forth for different tasks. Not that big of a deal, but why not use the DIY for what it is good for. I extended my bench so I can use it for simple operations when I can't or don't want to reset the main lathe. To further use it I want to try my hand a turning some joint protectors. I saved a few bucks on the tool rest by stacking some scrap wood and mounting a drawer handle to it ($4.00).
View attachment 644687
I still have some organizing and tweaking to do but so far, these simple changes help a lot with my extremely limited space. I added some shelves on the wall (to the right) within easy reach for glues, cleaners, and miscellaneous stuff. I added a shelf behind the lathe for all the things that I was setting down back there. Much more accessible plus they don't get buried in chips. To further reduce the chip mess, I built something to catch them better as they come off.
View attachment 644679