My Home Pool Room Journey

runout1961

Ecclesiastes Ch. 12: 1-7
Silver Member
When my great aunt and uncle had this house built in 1972, they reclaimed this gorgeous “mantle” out of an old barn. It sat in this room which used to be the den side of the lower level for nearly 50 years.

Naturally, I had to keep it. What a beautiful, heavy piece of wood. I love all the saw marks and such. I mounted it in a way that will make it look like a floating shelf once the accent wall is up.
f3b0886418740bdf8b635cb1e5482b05.jpg

81a6c7af7a0864d54ef131704ad82fd2.jpg

ca487351f7d87b2b45ed25d2a594020c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

runout1961

Silver Member
We got a lot done today. Sheetrock, insulation, painting, mounted the huge mantle and some other things here and there. It’s really starting to feel like this place might actually be ready for the table to be installed next Tuesday.

I’m burning three vacation days next week. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. I figure I could use Monday as a last ditch effort to get things done down here if need be. Tuesday the table will be installed. And Wednesday to finally play pool.

It’s 1:30am. Alarm sounds off at 4. Then off to work and back home to get more done afterwards.
5f7313398c4c4088f21ebb326227d783.jpg

49923d14ad01f57ae076c39416e99463.jpg

41434a424ec6fe3692f115c4887e8d4f.jpg

90997b5ff8daef29af075ca4a35b27eb.jpg

f6e914c01a972150eb51d16abc574699.jpg

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting that you went horizontally instead of vertical. Looks good though.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking good!

That insulation story made me laugh. Back in the 80's I was working with my FIL building homes and were out in the middle of nowhere (new neighborhood) putting up signs and we saw a full sheet of insulation about 200 yards away (it was literally on the other side of the hwy) and it was so windy the insulation was flying in the wind. We laughed and said if it comes near us we're grabbing it. It took about 12 seconds for that thing to whip across the highway and literally slam flush into the sign we just put up. We just laughed and put it in the back of his truck. :)

runout1961

Silver Member
Looking good!

That insulation story made me laugh. Back in the 80's I was working with my FIL building homes and were out in the middle of nowhere (new neighborhood) putting up signs and we saw a full sheet of insulation about 200 yards away (it was literally on the other side of the hwy) and it was so windy the insulation was flying in the wind. We laughed and said if it comes near us we're grabbing it. It took about 12 seconds for that thing to whip across the highway and literally slam flush into the sign we just put up. We just laughed and put it in the back of his truck. :)

Thanks man. That’s funny. Definitely better than my story. That stuff is so light. Hopefully all the insulating were doing will make a difference. Since 1972, they’ve had nothing down there. I almost cheaper out and went 1” on the walls being that it was a $10 difference per board but glad we went with 2”.

Commercial generally requires vertical due to fire ratings but residential does not. If you're drywalling 9' walls then yes, buy 9' drywall and install vertical but for 8' walls you go horizontal ;)

It just makes things easier. And quicker.

runout1961

Silver Member
Got quite a bit done tonight. The area under the stairs which used to be a closet is looking real nice thanks to the help of my father in law. This place is really coming together.
8e81a6c1020f5238c097bbc223b36037.jpg

1d7b6206e01b15e2df36816a0663a0cb.jpg

3a22c528f90117c3ba42bfbb9bb36beb.jpg

b3dfd095abdd9877c9ddb39936ca6dcb.jpg

Last edited:

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yep, you can actually get fewer seems by going with horizontal, vertical is done for fire rating so the seams can land on the studs. When mounted horizontal the horizontal joints/seems have nothing behind them to stop fire from seeping into the walls, residential doesn't require that so it's done the most efficient way.,

Last edited:

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In many places you can go vertical and not have a seam at all. Horizontal guaranties a seam on each surface. Your drawing assumes you are dealing with a perfect square.
Nobody with a space 4' or less will put 2 pieces where they could just put one vertical. Even if they did it would mean less than 4' of additional taping. In no 3d universe does it "double the number of seams".

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nobody with a space 4' or less will put 2 pieces where they could just put one vertical. Even if they did it would mean less than 4' of additional taping. In no 3d universe does it "double the number of seams".
This was not meant to hijack the thread but, for some reason pool players feel like they always have something smart to say. So since I am an idiot, I am just curious. Dry wall is made in 8', 10' and 12'. Now it is "widely" known that this is to accommodate various ceiling heights. If dry wall was meant to be hung horizontal then why don't they taper the short ends? In addition do you think that the 16" stud standard might have been to accommodate anything 4' wide or was that just some random number they came up with? I am dying to hear these responses from the professionals. You may do it differently in your state or city and I am sure there is no hard fast rule past commercial building but, what I can tell you is that a very, very large majority of drywall is hung vertically. And unfortunately in the 3D universe yes you do increase the seams when hung horizontally and I wont get into the simple math but, I am sure if you think about it a little you will figure that part out.

Regardless of all the garbage that gets thrown around by the AZ clowns on here, the room is turning out nice and I thank the OP for his contributions. I personally love these types of posts. I can do without the AZZmonkeys but I don't see that going away anytime soon.